Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I need some help or to know if anyone else has ever experienced this. I have a 9 month old basset Millie. She has been healthy thus far. No problems whatsoever.

This morning we hung out inside mostly since it was raining here. Everything was normal. She did suck some water down pretty fast though. She was pretty normal energy till around noon when she started sleeping around the house. I figured she was just worn out. Though looking back now she was more lethargic than normal.

My toddler and I had to go to a family baseball came and Millie went to sleep in her crate. We were gone for 3 hours. I came back and went to take Millie out. I noticed right away she didn't jump up as normal and there was a slight limp to her back leg. My sister lives next door so I started heading that way with her. We have a duplex so it wasn't far or anything. I get right outside the door and Millie drops to the ground and starts having a bad seizure. I have never seen anything like this. Very violent and lasted about 2 minutes. She then layed there with no movement except breathing. Eyes were not tracking us.

Thankfully my sister and her friend were there. They put Millie in their car and my daughter and I got in mine. We went right to the ER Vet. Were there within 20 minutes. Millie was still pretty much unresponsive. Tongue hanging out the side of her mouth when she was carried in. Her eyes were following us though which was the only change.

We were there for about 3 hours. All of her blood work came back excellent so it is unlikely she had a virus/bacteria or ate anything toxic. She is still in the same state though not really responding to much. They said usually epileptic dogs would start to recover. They are thinking she has brain damage of some sort. They really could give me no explanation of what happened/is happening.

Millie is staying there overnight. I am praying she makes some progress tonight. I am at a loss as to what to do.

Has this ever happened to anyone else's dog? I am just baffled at would happen so suddenly in a healthy, young dog to where she ended up like this. They said she is pretty young for it to be epilepsy. I am so thankful my daughter saw none of it. She is 2 and it was pretty terrifying for me as a 27 year old.

Please share any ideas you could have about this!

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
They said usually epileptic dogs would start to recover
Having had a dog that died of epilepsy it took her longer than most to get through the post ictal stage fully about 24 hours but within a minute or two she was up and walking , generally bumping into things but up and about. Remaining comotose is not a normal reaction to an epiletic siezure nor is is the age of the dog Idopatic epiliepsy 1year - 5 years with a high point of the bell curve around 18mnth-2 years Younger dog there is general another cause for the siezure. Common in realitive terms given the rareity of siezure causing disorders in general is a liver shunt but there should be some abnormalities in the blood work.

CANINE SEIZURES - OVERVIEW,
CAUSES AND TREATMENTS

Following the seizure, the dog may lay motionless for a brief period. Eventually he will get up on his feet and may appear to be perfectly normal, but typically will show signs of post ictal behavior. These signs may include blindness, disorientation, pacing or running about the house bumping into things. The post-ictal behavior can last anywhere from hours to days after a seizure.

it was pretty terrifying for me as a 27 year old.

You have every right to be terified Iwould be too right now I only wish I could give you sone encouraging informaion but that I can not But I and the rest of the crew will sling healing drool and pray for a full recovery.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The symptoms you're describing sounds similar to another hound owner who unfortunately lost theirs not too long ago. They shared their experience with all of us on the Cyberhound boards. Check out the links below - I have no idea if this is what's happening to Millie or not but it sounds awfully similar to me. Hope it helps, and I hope Millie gets better.

http://www.basset.net/boards/general-basset-hound-discussion/13420-we-might-lose-our-little-hannah.html

http://www.basset.net/boards/general-basset-hound-discussion/13430-our-little-hannah.html

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Thankfully, I've never had this happen, but I can sympathize with the feelings you are having right now. I hope beyond hope that Millie shows some improvement for you (and for her own sake of course).

We are sending healing vibes and drool to you and Millie. Please keep us posted on how she is.

·
Registered
437 Posts
This post just made my heart drop......sending prayers and healing drool Millie's way....please keep us posted.

~Woody Hayes' mom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Positive update!

I have some good news. Thank you everyone for thinking of Millie!!!

So I went to check on Millie and get news this morning. They put me in a room and I was waiting for some horrible news....when who walks in...Millie! :) A little lower energy than normal but still jumped up and tail wagging. Parts of her leg were shaved and she had her little port for the iv on her. I got to take her outside for a little walk and she was just sniffing everything the whole way. It was a MAJOR turn around. I thought I was going to have make some hard decisions this morning that is what bad shape she was in last night. We are still at a loss as to why she had the seizure. Which is kind of scary to me. We don't know if it will happen again. She is going to meet with the neurologist today and see if she needs to take medication or if we need to see if it ever happens again. She should come home this evening. I am still a little nervous cause the seizure and afterwards were really scary. Hope I never have to see that again.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
fwiw there are many many times that a dog only has 1 siezure and it never happens again. it is not worth worrying about unless the dog starts having frequent siezure and by frequent every nuerologiest defines it a bit differently but on the order of 1 every 3 month to 1 month would warrant treatment.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hopefully Millie and your family don't have to go through anything like that again!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fwiw there are many many times that a dog only has 1 siezure and it never happens again. it is not worth worrying about unless the dog starts having frequent siezure and by frequent every nuerologiest defines it a bit differently but on the order of 1 every 3 month to 1 month would warrant treatment.
Thanks Mikey! I admit I am not good in situations like that. Hoping it was a one time occurrence. If not we will do whatever is needed in the future to help her out. I was just so happy to see her walking in--never expected that!!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I am so so so SO happy to hear this. It's hard to see them unwell...even more so when they are babies!

Now Miss Millie, you get better and STAY well. Don't scare your Momma like that EVER again, young lady! Glad you are feeling better :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again everyone. Just spoke with vet and Millie is coming home in 3 hours. They are suggesting a possible diagnosis of Addison's Disease? Would that normally have an onset at such a young age and so suddenly/severe? I am going to find out more when I pick her up. I know they are sending her home with some valium just in case she has another seizure and they are also starting anti seizure meds for the time being. She is going to go to the Neurologist again in 2 weeks for more testing. They said she has some lingering side effects still from the seizure. Her eyes aren't tracking normally from what the vet said. They assured me she is okay to bring home. I am so nervous. I am a single parent to a toddler and Millie and I just want everyone to be safe and healthy.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Molly was diagnosed with Addison's at 11 months...just this past June. An Addisonian crisis can occur like it did for Millie and can also be worse. Some dogs aren't diagnosed until they come into the vet in a coma. Molly went into her first crisis on Memorial Day and never had a BAD crisis (though no crisis is actually good). She stopped eating, threw up a bit, wouldn't play with Winston, was constipated, and overall wasn't herself. Then she began trembling. After spending a week and a lot of money looking for a blockage and treating an upset stomach, her vet began to suspect Addison's. A test confirmed it and she's been on treatment since and is doing well. Back to her old self.

Addison's is "the great pretender" disease and is usually misdiagnosed at first. It has symptoms of all kinds of other things, so vets often miss it initially. But your vet sounds astute, like mine, and will hopefully follow with some tests.

The best part about Addison's is that it is highly treatable. Addison dogs can live normal, full lives...with a normal lifespan. It's a costly disease, but that's something you need to discuss with your vet. They understand and want to help the dog, so hopefully they can work with you.

There's a website dedicated to this and it has a support group: AddisonDogs

Feel free to private message me with any questions. I am glad to share my experience (however limited) with this.

Be well, Millie!!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
They are suggesting a possible diagnosis of Addison's Disease? Would that normally have an onset at such a young age and so suddenly/severe? I am going to find out more when I pick her up. I know they are sending her home with some valium just in case she has another seizure and they are also starting anti seizure meds for the time being. She is going to go to the Neurologist again in 2 weeks for more testing.
Just to add something: if the vet suspects Addison's, get on them to check her electrolytes and if it points toward Addison's, then they need to do the ACTH test. The sooner the better. If her 'lytes are off, then she will not feel better. Once they know it's Addison's, they can boost her with steroids and she'll feel better...then they can follow with Prednisone and Florinef or Percorten-V.

Truth is, I was relieved to get some concrete diagnosis and finally get Molly back on track to being well. Keep us posted :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thank you so much for this update.....and although you don't want to know that your baby dog is ill; a diagnosis is something that is a relief. And even better when it is something treatable....best of wishes to you and Millie...keep healing baby girl and keep us posted with any new news.

Kristi and Woody Hayes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to add something: if the vet suspects Addison's, get on them to check her electrolytes and if it points toward Addison's, then they need to do the ACTH test. The sooner the better. If her 'lytes are off, then she will not feel better. Once they know it's Addison's, they can boost her with steroids and she'll feel better...then they can follow with Prednisone and Florinef or Percorten-V.

Truth is, I was relieved to get some concrete diagnosis and finally get Molly back on track to being well. Keep us posted :)

Yes her electrolytes were off. They said her sodium was very low. But her potassium (I think...) wasn't high which I assume is one of the symptoms. They did some more tests as well and I am about to call them back right now to get results. I was stuck at jury duty most of the day. It has been a great week! ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts