Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just got my little basset puppy and I have a vet appointment scheduled. I am just very concerned about my 8 week old's weight. She is at 3 lbs at 8 weeks and does not seem to be gaining any weight.

I got her dewormed and will be getting a professional opinion Tuesday. I would do it sooner but all the vets are booked for days.

I've had her for less than a week and have been weighing her every day and has been at a consistant 3 lbs. Sometimes 2.8, sometimes 3.2

I own two other basset hounds and both of them at 8 weeks old weighed significantly more.

Other than that, the puppy is very active. Plays with the other dogs. Has a good appetite.

Pictures attached.

Thank you!

-Hank

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I followed up with the vet today. Doctor said everything looked fine and I explained the situation to him. His response was that was that she was probably a runt. Since this post she has gained a half pound, so that's a relief. I just have never EVER seen a basset hound this small before. I asked the doctor about the age and he said that the teeth indicate that she is certainly at least around the 8 week mark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I followed up with the vet today. Doctor said everything looked fine and I explained the situation to him. His response was that was that she was probably a runt. Since this post she has gained a half pound, so that's a relief. I just have never EVER seen a basset hound this small before. I asked the doctor about the age and he said that the teeth indicate that she is certainly at least around the 8 week mark.
Well that's a relief buddy. Hope she starts chunking up soon x

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's all good news.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congratulations ~ she is adorable. Our Basset is almost 14, she is priceless ~ ENJOY! BTW, our old girl, when younger, sure loved to play Hide/N/Seek! Good nose, ya know!

·
Registered
10 Posts
George is the runt of the litter. 15 years old never more than 42 lbs. Almost a foot shorter in length than the rest of the litter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts