Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are the proud parents of 8 month old Benji who we adopted from a young family a couple of weeks ago who could not handle his lively nature. We have now got him settled sleeping in his crate at night but are still battling with the housetraining issue. He is exercised very first thing in the morning for half an hour then back for breakfast. He gets let out on regular occasions and has another walk in the park early afternoon. He is persistently peeing in the house. When we catch him in the act he is immediately taken outside where he finishes:(...any ideas how we can get over this problem.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Congrats! Consistency will go a long way to letting Benji know how things work in your house. Using the crate is a great thing, IMO. I know it will be a lot of work but I would keep him leashed and in constant line of sight at all times when not in the crate. This helps you learn his tells, his physical clues that he is about to go. If he begins to go inside use a good distraction, clap, shaker can, sudden loud noise to stop him in the act and when he finishes outside, super load up on the praise and treats.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yep. MaggieMaysMom has it right! Keep that pup near you! You will get it on a maintenance schedule (where you know he needs to go out and you get him out and it becomes routine like clockwork!) soon enough and then it will be cake!

Also, it helps to hang bells on the door (kid you not!). When we first got Lily, we hung the bells and when we would take her outside, we would ring them and say "outside". Then we started getting her to ring them after we had the leash on her. We would praise (treats work wonders with this and potty training!!!) and then go out for more praises. Now, after three months, she is ringing the bells herself to let us know she wants outside. She is 4 1/2 months give or take at this point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You have some great ideas here!

I would also get some enzyme cleaner to spray the area he peed on. It breaks down the proteins and helps to get rid of the smell, so he won't be drawn to that spot again.

Bassets are stubborn sometimes, and Mom has to be stubborner!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Take him to the vet first and make sure there is not anything medically wrong.

And, welcome to the basset family!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Start as if he were 8 weeks old and take him out every 15 mim.or so have a treat ready for when he goes potty outside and don't let him see you clean up any mess he makes

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
the problem with housetraining an older hound is they have a history of accidents and these accident are self rewarding so a dot that has an accident in the house thinks it acceptable to go in the house and actual develops a substrate preference of the flooring in the house , carpet , tile over grass and dirt so that is why it is harder to housetrain an older dog you have to retrain an already entrenched substrate preference so it takes longer

Housetraining Your Puppy

The behavior behind this training: Dogs develop substrate preferences for eliminating. By substrate, I mean what they feel under their feet. In their first few weeks of life they need their mother to lick them to stimulate elimination. Around 4 weeks of age they begin to control this themselves. It is a self-rewarding behavior because it feels good. They associate this good feeling with the environment they are in at the time. This is about the same time they are walking well enough to go outside. If they are taken outside enough, several times a day, during this period of development (4 through 8 weeks) they will associate the good feeling of relieving themselves with the grass under their feet, the sky above, and all the smells and sounds of the outdoors. The tactile experience, the texture under the feet, becomes the cue.
If your puppy does not already have this outdoor experience, then you can provide it for him now, to retrain the "substrate preference" he has already learned. Take the pup out about once per hour. This is after play, eating, sleeping, etc. If the puppy can't hold his urine from the crate to the back door while walking, carry him for the first week or so. After a busy play session, take the puppy out, even if it's only been 15 minutes since he last went out. Physical activity produces urine. Inactivity slows the production of urine. This is why a puppy can sleep all night without wetting in the crate, but will urinate on the floor as soon as you let him out of the crate.

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
That said basset a natoriously slow to house train IMHO the are slow to develop sphincter control a male puppy tends to leak on occcsion when over excited etc up to 1 year of age some times longer. I also put the typical age of a basset being housetrained at 1 year keeping in mind theat a lack of accidents is not an indication of house training but only the first step and simply means theire is adequite management of the puppy to proceed with housetraining.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Yep. MaggieMaysMom has it right! Keep that pup near you!
I agree with all of it here! keep up the good work, it sounds like you just got him. or what we did here was that we "kept near the pup." we followed him around everywhere all the time. and when we couldn't we put him in the crate. boy that was a tiring 6 weeks, but it seemed to pay off. after that period he was pretty good about knowing where to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. We are getting there with Benji. He is such a handsome chap. I am trying to upload a photo but not sure how to do it.

xxx

·
Registered
552 Posts
How to add photos

Neilsons -

OPTION 1:
Up where it says, 'Welcome, Neilsons", click your name so that it takes you to your profile page. Along the right side of the screen, you should see mini statistics, friends, albums, and recent visitors lined up from top to bottom. Where it says 'Albums', there should be an option to add an album. Once you've added the album, just above the ugly brown bar that contains the album's title, there is an option to 'upload pictures'. Click it and you should be able to begin to upload photos 3 at a time until you reach either 25 photos or a certain amount of memory space..whichever comes first, really.

OPTION 2:
See the thin black bar up top that goes all the way across the page? In between Active Topics and User CP, you should see Photo Gallery. Click it. Again, just above the ugly bar that says All Albums, there is the Add Album option. Once you've entered a title, description and your privacy preferences, you should be able to go ahead and begin adding 3 at a time.

OPTION 3:
If all you really want to do is add a photo or two or a few into a thread, then here's what you do:

A1) If you are starting the thread, you can click the little photo icon and add a photo, but you have to have the URL of the image, which, unless you're re-posting a photo that is already in your album, is a pain in the rear end.

A2) If you're starting the thread and don't have the URL or want to deal with it, then click the down arrow next to the paperclip icon located in the top row of edit options. When you click that, it should bring up a smaller screen with a whoooole lotta stuff going on. There will be 10 available places for attachments. Just make sure the attachments adhere to the rules in the attachment key on that screen and you're golden. When you've got as many photos as you'd like ready to go, click 'upload', which is right next to the 10th attachment space.

When it shows you that it has completed uploading, you can exit the little screen. Don't worry about a thing. You should see your original message space. Go up to the paperclip icon again, click it and you'll get a drop down menu of your uploaded photos! Now either you can click one at a time to add them into your post where you want them to be, or you can just write out your post and pretend like they're not there - because if you haven't added them in individually, once you finish your message and press submit, all of the photos will show up together along the bottom, in a row.

B1) If you want to add a photo into a thread that is already going on and you have the URL for the photo you'd like to include, go ahead and click on the photo icon in the 'Quick Reply' section at the bottom and insert the URL of your choosing.

B2) If you want to add a photo into a thread that is already going on, but don't want to deal with the URL situation or if it doesn't have one, scroll to the bottom and click the black 'post reply' icon, not the 'Quick Reply' space at the bottom. Once you've done that, it'll be all the same steps as A2, above.

OPTION 4: If you would like to have a cool little avatar of your pup pup or have your profile page include a picture at the top for personalization, click the 'User CP' tab in the thin black bar at the top of the page. Along the left side, there are many, many options. Click 'Edite Profile Picture' and 'Edit Avatar' for those adjustments. Remember to save your changes! You can access your pictures and albums from the User CP page, as well.

I hope this helps! I may post this as a thread, since it seems to be a fairly common issue when people first come to the forum.

:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would take him to the vet just to rule out UTI. Also crate training helped me potty train Daisy. When I am home I take her out every hour and praise her like crazy when she pees outside. If I am not home, in the crate she goes. Or if I am home but working on homework and cant devote attention to her at the moment she goes in the crate. Of course let her out before and after the crate. I agree with everyone else that yes get rid of the pee stains and odor, or he will go back to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts