Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have a 8 month old male basset that is having issues with biting.This usually happens when I sit down in the evening and is usually only hands and arms. I’ve tried everything-redirecting, walking away (he follows and still tries), spraying him with spray bottle with water and a little vinegar (doesn’t work), and scolding. He is done teething and usually is wagging his tail when he is biting. Is this normal behavior for his age (he will be 9 months on the 21st)? Any other ideas? I obviously want to get this taken care of before it’s too late. Is it too late?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
there is a second teething when the third molars erupt but that is later and the behavior you describe is not universal in occurance as one would expect with teething so it seem to be you have a behavior that was likely unknowingly rewarded somethings to think about,.

2.'walking away (he follows and still tries) " NOT DOING IT RIGHT IF THE DOG CAN FOLLOW, you need to limit the choices the dog can make and following should never be a choice, use the leash to prevent that, or some other obstacle,.

3. ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- "You Won the Prize!"

4. When teaching bite inhibition people are often told to Say ouch loudly to stop the dog. or say ouch and leave,. etc. This general does not work well with childern why. because the consequence is actual very different between adults and kids,. Kids tend to yell ouch in an excited manner flail around raising dog arrousal and may even push the dog that actually signals to the dog a desire to play on the human and rough play is desirable on the part of humanss, As we say review #1 the thing before the thing You will likely find how this behavior has been either allowed to persist through self reward. or certain action on your part that were active rewards for the behavior. If you want someithing other than the bitting behavior you need to be very contious of the actual behavior you do not , not simple not biting. Then figure out how to get that behavior befor the dog bites. so you can reward the better choice,

5. avoid continuing rewartding the biting behavior. which means preventing the behavior that leads up to the behavior. For example if this behavior occurs on the couch after dinner do not allow the dog on the couch to start when training a more appropriate behavior. or do not get on the couch next to the dog while training etc,. .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone!

I have a 8 month old male basset that is having issues with biting.This usually happens when I sit down in the evening and is usually only hands and arms. I’ve tried everything-redirecting, walking away (he follows and still tries), spraying him with spray bottle with water and a little vinegar (doesn’t work), and scolding. He is done teething and usually is wagging his tail when he is biting. Is this normal behavior for his age (he will be 9 months on the 21st)? Any other ideas? I obviously want to get this taken care of before it’s too late. Is it too late?
We have the same problem! Don’t know what to do...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts