Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
459 Posts
Housetraining

Yeah, I agree. 7 months is too young not to go poo all day. Emer and Button are 16 and 17 months each, and Button just got to the point where he is pretty reliable for 4-5 hours. Before that, (and not too long ago), they were each going poo about every three hours or so. Unfortunately, Bassets are one breed that are hard to leave all day while you are at work. They just can't help it. All the info on bassets says that they have large stools, and it's one thing to consider before you get one. In addition, they require a lot of love and attention and is probably lonely being alone while you are at work. (You'll just have to give up that nuisance job and be a full time Basset slave :lol: ) I, too have paid our dogsitter to come by and spend time and let my boys out to relieve themselves. Good luck! Perhaps you can find someone . . . . :) A word of encouragement: Elmer has the bladder of a cow: Seriously, he will fall asleep at 9 pm, sleep all night, and I will have to MAKE him go out around 7 am. After that, he could hold it for 7-8 more hours if we let him, but we make him go out. I think he's too lazy to go out and do his business :roll:

· Registered
459 Posts
Feeding more = More frequent poo

Just a question? Are you free feeding or feeding twice a day? When food is left in the crate all day; their bowels are so small at that age, that "what goes in must come out". If you can get the dog on a feeding schedule, it becomes more predictable. Although I would LOVE to leave food all day for my dogs, I know that Button would eat himself sick. His breeder actually free fed all his dogs and Button's mother was as big as a hog. No kidding, she was at least 24 inches wide. So we have to watch his weight, as he has the propensity to . . ahem . . . be a little Chubby Bubby. :lol:

Good luck, and it WILL get better!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.