Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I have a 7 Month old Basset Hound Pup. I had her almost completely house trained and then two weeks ago it seems she just did not care any more. She will not go at all, all night while she sleeps in the bed with me. But when I put her in her crate to go to work for less hours mind you, there will certainly have pooed by the time I get home. She is the first dog that I have ever had that does not mind rolling around in her own feces. I think she actually likes it. While I am home she will go to the door to tell me she has to go out, But if I stop petting her or start talking to a friend she will, allmost to spite me, squat and waste on the carpet while staring at me. Please help me with this any advise will help.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
They can be quite an adventure :) At 7 months though a basset puppy is still too young to be reliably house broken. I have been told 9 months to 1 year- but truthfully 15 months seems closer to the mark! She is not having accidents to spite you- their brains aren't wired to behave that way. How big is your crate? Sometimes if they are extra roomy they will use part of it for "outside". I have heard suggestions to make the space smaller and then enlarge it as they grow. Also- how long is she left alone? I usually come home at lunch (or pay someone to come by at lunch :roll: ) to let mine out- They are older and could hold it but I feel it's important for them to have a break each day as well. Godd luck and enjoy your baby as she grows-

·
Registered
465 Posts
Housetraining

Yeah, I agree. 7 months is too young not to go poo all day. Emer and Button are 16 and 17 months each, and Button just got to the point where he is pretty reliable for 4-5 hours. Before that, (and not too long ago), they were each going poo about every three hours or so. Unfortunately, Bassets are one breed that are hard to leave all day while you are at work. They just can't help it. All the info on bassets says that they have large stools, and it's one thing to consider before you get one. In addition, they require a lot of love and attention and is probably lonely being alone while you are at work. (You'll just have to give up that nuisance job and be a full time Basset slave :lol: ) I, too have paid our dogsitter to come by and spend time and let my boys out to relieve themselves. Good luck! Perhaps you can find someone . . . . :) A word of encouragement: Elmer has the bladder of a cow: Seriously, he will fall asleep at 9 pm, sleep all night, and I will have to MAKE him go out around 7 am. After that, he could hold it for 7-8 more hours if we let him, but we make him go out. I think he's too lazy to go out and do his business :roll:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am having so many problems with my pup going in the house she is 4 months old, so even though its not good that your basset is doing this its nice to know that other people are having the same problem, I am trying all that I can I feel fresh out of ideas, so if you find anything out please let me know, also how do you get the urine smell out of your carpet, I bought that Urine Gone stuff from TV and it doesn't work, so if you have any tips on that, that would be great. Good luck, hang in there we can do this, it just takes patience, and alot of love. :D

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Whenever there's a marked change in bowel or bladder habits, the first thing to do is to rule out a medical cause.

At night when dogs sleep, their bodily functions slow, and they produce waste at a slower rate than during the day. This is may be one reason why she appears to "hold it" at night, but needs to relieve herself more often during the day. I agree with the suggestions others have made re: giving her the opportunity to potty more frequently during the day.

Other things to take into consideration are recent changes in diet, frequency of feeding, other changes in routine, etc.

For carpet odor, I use Nature's Miracle, available at most pet stores. For stains, I like Spot Shot, but it's not guaranteed to remove odor.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Feeding more = More frequent poo

Just a question? Are you free feeding or feeding twice a day? When food is left in the crate all day; their bowels are so small at that age, that "what goes in must come out". If you can get the dog on a feeding schedule, it becomes more predictable. Although I would LOVE to leave food all day for my dogs, I know that Button would eat himself sick. His breeder actually free fed all his dogs and Button's mother was as big as a hog. No kidding, she was at least 24 inches wide. So we have to watch his weight, as he has the propensity to . . ahem . . . be a little Chubby Bubby. :lol:

Good luck, and it WILL get better!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have house trained two basset hounds. For both it took about a year before they were completely house trained. In my experience it has not so much with training the dog, but more about being patient and just hang in there until the dog matures enough. Another thing that I have noticed is that before they become "safe" they have long periods where they have no accidents at all, but then suddenly they might have a kind of flash back and pee inside frequently. It passes though.

My first basset had to be fed after the same schedule each day, and I had to experiment with when to feed him. This was crucial for him in order to not have to go during the day. Mr. Runcible on the other hand does not care so much for the schedule and is able to endure the day anyway, regardless of meal times

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sadie is 7 months old and learned real quick to go outside, she rarely has accidents when were home but she almost always pees in her kennel when were gone, pooping is not a problem she's never done that in her kennel. I leave at 8:00 for work and my husband comes home at noon for lunch and lets her out and then he is home for good at 2:00 so she isn't left too long. She can be left for a short time while I run to the store and she will pee. We do have a large kennel so I have tried making her kennel smaller by putting a milk crate in there and strapping it down so it wouldn't move. She had just enough room to curl up in the kennel and she still went pee in the kennel so I took the crate out. I felt sorry for her not having enough room to stretch out and if it didn't help the peeing problem I figured I might as well give her the more space. I thought maybe she just did it because she didn’t' like being locked up and left alone. I think she is nervous when in the kennel; I tried to make the kennel a good experience for her and I would always tell her she was a good girl when putting her in so she didn’t think she was being punished and I would give her treat. She would never touch the treat; the treat would still be there when we got home. It was like she was just too nervous to eat it. We are getting the new puppy on Monday, I was hoping with the kennel so big they would get along good enough to be able to kennel them together and if she is reacting to being left alone I thought maybe having another pup to curl up to would help. What do you think?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts