Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, it's gone. The giardia is FINALLY gone, one whole month and $600 later. He's fine, no more gas, no more diarrhea. Happy happy.
Yup, poor but happy, that's us!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Glad he's feeling better. Sending drool for your wallet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My basset has diarrhea on and off. I took her to emergency the second day I got her. She had multiple tests for parasites always negative. I am feeding her Halo puppy food with chicken. I am on my 5th type of food for her. She is 4 months old. She started to have diarrhea again. I have to mix her food with rice or her poop gets really soft. Help! I can't give her any snacks other than her kibble or she gets diarrhea. She poops like 5 times a day. No one Has any answers for me. Could she have a genetic problem? Any ideas on this? I tried probiotics, rice and chicken, pumpkin etc. She seems to have a deeper digestive problem. Thank you.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
If the fecal test was done in house at the vet it is more likely to miss some of the various parisites that cause this problem The best results are general require the use of a centerfuge wich many vets do not have. Giardi and a number of other parasites like cryptosporidia go undetected on multiple fecal exams. There are other diagnostic tools such a Snap test for giardia.

Detection of Parasitic Infections by Fecal Examination

Centrifugation has been advocated as an important aid to flotation recovery of diagnostic parasite structures for microscopic examination. The Companion Animal Parasite Council recommends centrifugal flotation as a "Best Practice" for processing all fecal samples in veterinary medical practice. Despite the scientific evidence supporting its use, reluctance to employ the centrifugal flotation technique in routine parasitologic examinations persists.

The SNAPP® Giardia test kit manufactured by Idexx Laboratories is a membrane format ELISA (Enzyme-linked Immunosorbant Assay) that detects Giardia infections in dogs and cats by developing a blue dot on an antibody coated membrane if the fecal sample contains the Giardia-specific antigen secreted by the protozoan parasite living in the animal patient’s small intestine. According to the product insert, the sensitivity and specificity of the SNAP test was 95% and 97% when compared to similar immunoassay tests produced by other manufacturers. The ability of the SNAP test to identify Giardia in a canine population of known infection status was comparable to the Zinc Sulfate flotation method performed by a trained technician. However, because of the inherent difficulty of identifying Giardia from patient fecal samples examined during routine veterinary practice, the SNAP test combined with Zinc Sulfate fecal flotation
Why does my dog still have Giardia?
Giardia is a microscopic parasite that lives deep in folds in your dog's digestive tract. It is thought to be impossible to entirely rid an infected patient of all the organisms (this is true in human medicine as well). When we treat Giardia, we are hoping to lower the number of parasites and decrease the patient's clinical signs. However, flare-ups of the clinical signs (soft stool or diarrhea) will often occur again, especially if the dog is stressed (e.g. boarding).
Giardia is a microscopic parasite that lives deep in folds in your dog's digestive tract. It is thought to be impossible to entirely rid an infected patient of all the organisms (this is true in human medicine as well). When we treat Giardia, we are hoping to lower the number of parasites and decrease the patient's clinical signs. However, flare-ups of the clinical signs (soft stool or diarrhea) will often occur again, especially if the dog is stressed (e.g. boarding).
there other other non-parasitic causes of persistent diarhhea in dog including partial bockages, IVD etc while some can be congential ie starting at birth I an not aware of any considered genetic ie inherited from the parents.

Chronic Diarrhea in Dogs

Look at the linsk provided but you will need the help of a vet to sort through potential causes, If the one you are currently using is unwilling or unable to do so it is time to find a new vet.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
While food intolerance and allergies are vitual unheard of in young puppies there can be some that cause a problem such as ciliac disease type condition which cause intolerance to certain grain glutten which are almost universal in dog food manufacturing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank for your reply. my puppy has a vet and has been through multiple fecal exams with him and in emergency room. She was treated with anti parasitic antibiotics but the diarrhea comes and goes. The doc, emergency vet tell me to give her chicken and rice but once I stop, the problem returns. I noticed that puppy stool is soft when offer boiled chicken. Halo has been the best food so far but now soft, pudding poop is returning. My puppy is always active, happy and starving. She eats very fast. I ma tired of running to the vet to find out that maybe she has allergies etc with no specific treatment plan. I don't k ow what to feed her anymore.

If the fecal test was done in house at the vet it is

more likely to miss some of the various parisites that cause this problem The best results are general require the use of a centerfuge wich many vets do not have. Giardi and a number of other parasites like cryptosporidia go undetected on multiple fecal exams. There are other diagnostic tools such a Snap test for giardia.

Detection of Parasitic Infections by Fecal Examination

Why does my dog still have Giardia?

there other other non-parasitic causes of persistent diarhhea in dog including partial bockages, IVD etc while some can be congential ie starting at birth I an not aware of any considered genetic ie inherited from the parents.

Chronic Diarrhea in Dogs

Look at the linsk provided but you will need the help of a vet to sort through potential causes, If the one you are currently using is unwilling or unable to do so it is time to find a new vet.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
It is exceedingly rare for young dogs to have food intolerance/allergies it takes time for these to buildup from exposure. You are make that assumtion where no evidence exist that is the case. If the diarhhea is cleared up when on anti-parisitic medicine then returns a parasite that is persitent is a more likely cause.

For some dogs changing of the diet frequently will cause a similar problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
when we got fred she was heavily infested with worms and had horrible diarrhea! We got some stuff from the vet and mixed it with her food for 3 days and problem was gone. While she occasionally gets bouts of diarrhea it's only when she goes to the dog park and we think it's from the stress/excitement of all the activity and other dogs.

what is the protien percentage SOMETIMES I hear some dogs just don't do well on high protien foods, possibly your food is too rich?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you all for replying. I am at my wits end. Puppy got better but only when I started giving more rice mixed in with less Halo puppy kibble. Halo is so far the best food for my puppy. With other foods like Iams (breeder recommended the worst food), Merrick, Blue buffalo, Science Diet, puppy had diarrhea, pudding poop and pooped 10 x a day. Puppy poops 5 times a day or less with Halo and has the least symptoms. As I said, breeders vet sent me a written confirmation that puppy was worm free when I got her. Emergency vets and regular vet never found any parasites and so far we did maybe 5 stool tests, blood tests etc. Honestly, I don't want to keep doing these tests b/c even wih the worst diarrhea, puppy had no worms. Any suggestions what I can feed this puppy so she doesn't keep running to potty? I tried Wellness puppy snacks but they were no good for her. Vet recommended small pieces of milk bone. Diarrhea was horrible. Puppy is growing well and there is no indication of malabsorbtion. What else could it be and how to help my puppy? I always wanted a basset. I am a first time dog owner and am so worried. I am going through this for 2 months with no help in sight. I also tried yoghurt in her food, probiotic powder.

·
Registered
70 Posts
is halo grain free? I had wonderful luck with the Taste of The Wild bison formula but it was a fair distance from us so we went with infinia turkey and sweet potato, also grain free and Fred does really well. My friend's dog had IBS (well still has it) and she fed Timberwolf Organics.

We dealt with the same thing with Fred when we first brought her home now she's much better. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Sometimes when the diahhrea is constant you get in to a vicious circle because the digestive system is irritated and never gets a chance to heal.

When all else failed with Pepper, my vet tried scours rememdy (for cattle). I believe it's mainly immodium, but don't quote me on that. At any rate, it finally cleared up the problem. The dose was fairly large (6cc) and she HATED it, but after using it for (I think) 5 days she was pooping normally. I keep some on hand now because Melody seems to have a sensitive stomach and one dose usually takes care of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Again, thank you. Diarrhea went away only because I am feeding lots of rice with less puppy food. I am trying sweet potato and chicken natural balance snacks. Poop is a bit soft. This is the pattern I see. If I give rice with the food, poop is ok. When I stop or reduce the rice, in a few days, it's back to diarrhea again. Halo is one of the best quality foods for puppies and it's working the best but I haven real solution. I will try the foods you all suggested too. Today poop was ok but she pooped 4x already by 6pm.

·
Registered
297 Posts
How much are you feeding her? Perhaps you are feeding her too much. I know whenever I up our girl's food too much she poops a LOT more and it's soft. But when I back it down a 1/4 cup or so per feeding she does much better and has firmer stools. Perhaps that could be the issue? Just a thought as I know it must be very frustrating.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I would feed your puppy boiled hamburger or chicken with rice or potatoes for at least a week or so. I would slowly add in the dog food after that if the dog is not having diarrhea. How much are your feeding your dog? I have found that if you go by the amount they tell you to feed on the bag, it's usually way too much. Also, your puppy seems to have been on a lot of foods already. Pick one and stick with it for a bit, again adding it slowly. I would continue using a probiotic as well. I hope you can get your baby's diarrhea cleared up.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've stayed with the Prescription Diet w/d kibble for a while until his GI tract calms down, then we'll transition slowly to a salmon and rice food.
Francis has always had a sensitive GI tract and the least little thing sets him off for diarrhea but this giardia was one for the books. Took 3 runs of Panacur (3 weeks) and Flagyl and Ciprofloxacin. I had him on the canned w/d but he prefers the kibble so we switched once we were off the Panacur.
Franny and I saw in the Millennium at the Angell Memorial Veterinary E.R. treating him for diarrhea. Very romantic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fred has some symptoms of giarrdia but the vet never finds anything in her stool. I read it's almost impossible to detect unless cyst is at a certain stage.

While reading I found numerous articles on treating giardia with safeguard or pancur once a day for 5 days than repeat 3 weeks later. I consider doing this for Fred but have a question about dosing. Fred is about 35 lbs so should I get the pancur for a 30 lb dog (so i'd be buying 2 types the type for a 20 lb dog and type for 10 lb dog to equal 30) or should I buy the box for a 40 lb dog?

I also plan on getting her better probiotics to help her too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts