Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Henry the basset was lost yesterday(DISASTER post), I got out my Doctors Foster and Smith catalog.They have cotton web training leads in 15',20',30', and 50' lengths, which allow the dogs alot of freedom while not having them off-leash. They are inexpensive: the 30' one is $8.99 and the 50' one is $14.49.

I've always used the 30' model with Murray out on the State Gamelands- I've used it for 4 years and it's been very durable.

Hope this helps someone-

·
Registered
196 Posts
They sound great - particularly practical for open areas, but I'd fear that with two of them heading in different directions, and around trees, my next post would be via my cell phone, saying "HELP. I'm tied to a tree"

:D

I currently take them out on 9ft police dog training leads, which are fine until we get to the gates into the forest - its guaranteed that one hound will go around the gate, one hound will go under the gate, and only the spaniel will go through properly.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just an idea.......but when I first let Toby off the lead, I tied 2 bells, not cat bells but bigger, to his collar for the first 6months(cut them off a Xmas decoration). They worked a treat and gave me great piece of mind as I always knew which way he was heading if he decided to go walkabout.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We have two 20 foot cotton web training leads that we snap together when we are off road so Bogie can explore. He really loves the freedom and they are light enough they don't bother his galloping around, yet we don't have to worry about him taking off after a rabbit, squirrel, etc. When he smells something "Come" is deleated from his vocabulary and the hunting genes kick in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts