Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My basset Berkley is 5, and I have begun to put him on the sun porch with my two chihuahuas during the day. I am home and I let him out every hour or so. The oldest chihuahua is a marker, but the basset has never marked territory. He usually pees in the same spot in the middle of the floor. I will rub his nose in it and say 'Bad dog!" then let him out. He will pee again and then I will let him in. Then within an hour or so he will pee again. Even if he has had no water. I took him to the vet but he couldnt get a urine sample because Berkley peed before we left. He prescribed some Deramaxxx and Amoxi but I have seen no improvment. Could it be something serious or is he just being a turd? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Rubbing his nose in it will accomplish nothing. You need to deodorize the spot with an enzyme cleaner, and then supervise him while he is in that area to stop him BEFORE he pees. Punishing him after the fact is useless.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've taken all of the furniture out of the room and bleached the whole floor, the bottoms of table legs and chair legs, and even the food mat. He still pees. Then the Chihuahua marks all around it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
We struggled for the better part of the last year trying to housetrain Anabelle. Here is what has worked for us... We use a dog door because she can't make it through the night.
1. When we are gone during the day we put up dog gates around a small area inside of the dog door. All there is space for in this area are the dog beds and a water jug. This forces her to go out during the day. We often do the same thing at night, but not always.
2. When we see her peeing outside, she immediately gets a cookie and praised as if she has hung the moon. This is the most important part of training.
3. If we find pee inside, we just clean it up. Dogs only associate actions to rewards in a very short window (5 seconds or so) so there is no point in getting angry over it.
4. If we catch her peeing inside, we clap loudly to startle her into stopping and push her butt out the dog door.
5. Clean up messes with 50/50 white vinegar/water mix and then with enzyme like Nature's Miracle.

We haven't had an accident in 2 weeks so I can confidently say this is what works for us, at least until we get too complacent.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
bleached the whole floor
bleach is total ineffective in nutralizing urine odor. If the urine stain is relatively fresh an enzymatic cleaner will work however for old pet stains inwhich the urine has crystalized there is no real effect odor removal agent other than removing the effected flooring. or encapsulating the area.

Pet Urine Odor and Stain Problems from Cats and Dogs

Pet Urine
To get rid of the odor and smell we must rid ourselves of all three parts of the pet urine and pet stain. The uric acid dries and leaves behind a non soluable salt crystal that remains after normal cleaning and after using most pet odor and pet urine products. These salt crystals reactivate when their is moisture in the air and we think our precious pet has been sneaky again while we were not looking.

Pet Odor|Stain Removal

Most components of urine can be washed away in the normal course of laundering. Uric acid presents problems in stain removal. If you heat uric acid crystals, they will become fixed on the fabric. The effect will be permanent. Insoluble uric acid crystals are difficult to remove with normal cleaning solutions like bleach. Uric acid crystals stick to any surface including smooth surface like tiles and porcelain. These crystals have to be physically removed by mechanical means like scrubbing etc.
Urine Stains in Flooring

How to Remove Urine Odor and Stains from Hardwood Floors

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Get something frmo the pet store that's specifically for pet urine removal.

There's the possibility that Berkley has a urinary tract infection? That'll make ya' pee anywhere you can, even if you're houstrained... yup...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have collected a urine specimen before heading to the vet in a specimen container, just shoved it under my guy when he squat outside. I would definitely get his urine checked, from the urinalysis they can tell if it is infected, if his kidneys are concentrating OK or if he is "spilling" glucose a sign of diabetes. If the meds are ineffective and it is a new behavior I would make sure it isn't a medical problem

·
Registered
973 Posts
Try the 50/50 white vinegar/water mix I suggested above. You can try pure vinegar too. I buy the big jugs at the grocery, a gallon or so for about $3. You can try adding baking soda as well. I've found this works as well or better than any commercial cleaner out there. Vinegar is acidic and breaks down the crystals.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Just curious-- does the vinegar leave a smell afterwards? We've just used the enzymatic cleaner from the pet store so far, haven't tried the homemade concoction.

After months of no accidents, Worm made a small piddle last week, tho it was really my fault because he had rung the bell twice already... bell ringing = "I'm gonna pee soon if you don't take me outside!!"

·
Registered
973 Posts
Usually I can smell the vinegar for a little while then it fades away. Unlike the pee smell which just fades but lingers for... ever.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I forgot the other most important part of her training. Becomes so routine you forget about it... We give her these pills. 2 a day. She's gone from peeing once every 30 mins to hour to a normal schedule of every 5 or 6 hours. Takes a couple weeks to kick in but it's a miracle once it's done. Heck of a lot cheaper than vet meds too: NaturVet Senior Bladder Support Time Release Tablets for Dogs at PETCO

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
do you think he'd be okay in his crate overnight? He's in thre for up to 11 hrs sometimes
If he general sleeps in the night what is the difference between being in the crate or not. It is not like being outside the crate is going to allow him to be more active. It is crate confinement for prolonged period during the day that are more concerning. A petwalker /freind neighbor etc that can let him out periodical to break up the day that is inmportant and also needed to prevent accidents 11 hrs is to long to expect the dog to hold it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
my he-human gets up to pee twice a night
why can't i

(s'why i do it in secret some nights! BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive never had a problem with him in his crate. And on those days I KNOW ill be out for a long time i try to have someone to let him out or I tie him out.

The problem is i live in one of those uppity neighborhoods where when your dog is a hound and hes barking for hours on end outside the neighbors complain. And we arent allowed a fence so he only has a 20 ft radius to roam. thank God hes not a digger. Now that its warming up im worried about him and the heat. We have to put his tie out in the middle of the yard otherwise he will wrap himself around the tree, trampoline, or jungle gym, so he doesn't have much of a shade choice. The trampoline is great and big for shade but he gets all twisted on the poles.

I give him a big thing of water but its gone with in minutes. He doesn't pace himself. I had a basset as a child who had a heat stroke one summer. I dont want that to happen to him. Ive been looking at those bowls that attach to a hose and keep refilling, or a jug one, but i dont know if it would be good for him to be exposed to so much water. Just last week he drank two gallons of water within ten minutes. Its INSANE how much he drinks. I've scheduled a urinalyisis with the vet to check for UTI or Diabetes.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I forgot the other most important part of her training. Becomes so routine you forget about it... We give her these pills. 2 a day. She's gone from peeing once every 30 mins to hour to a normal schedule of every 5 or 6 hours. Takes a couple weeks to kick in but it's a miracle once it's done. Heck of a lot cheaper than vet meds too: NaturVet Senior Bladder Support Time Release Tablets for Dogs at PETCO
Can you give those tablets to any age of dog or just 'seniors'?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Can you give those tablets to any age of dog or just 'seniors'?
I don't know for sure but the ingredients are all natural. There aren't any actual drugs or medications:
Active Ingredients: Pumpkin Seed 125 mg, Rehmannia 125 mg, Wild Yam Root 125 mg, Oregon Grape Root 25 mg, Marshmallow Root 25 mg, Cranberry Extract 25 mg, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 25 mg.

Probably a question a vet could answer but I wouldn't think it'd be a problem.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Berkely, if you live anywhere near me (In Columbia, MO), I would be happy to basset sit for you. If you don't live close to me, I would highly recommend a dog walker/pet sitter. I used one when I lived in Springfield, IL and she was great. Her rates were pretty reasonable and it was a relief to know that I didn't have to worry about being late to get home because she'd already been there to let mine out. It want to say she charged around 18 dollars for a walk. I typically had her come on the days I knew I would be gone for a long period of time. I hope you're able to find a fix for him!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts