Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as my favorite holiday approaches I remember how it is totally NOT Annie's favorite holiday at all. :eek: Even on the evenings leading up to the 4th there are people lighting fireworks and driving Annie up the wall. That day I take her for a very long and hopefully tiring walk and then I usually put Annie in her crate kind of early in the evening on the 4th, turn on the TV for her, and do potty checks throughout the night. Doesn't matter what I do though, the noises freak her out.

Is there anything that you do for your dogs that works to help calm their nerves? :confused:

PS...fireworks are illegal here but that doesn't stop people from lighting off Disneyland style explosives in the park by my house!

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
noise senitivitis are treatable with

1. thunder shirt

2. melatonin

3. DAP dog appeasing pherimones

thunder shirt
The Thundershirt is an excellent solution for dog anxiety. Use the Thundershirt for fear of thunder or fireworks, separation anxiety, car or travel anxiety, crate anxiety, reactivity, general fearfulness, and more. Thundershirt's patent-pending design applies gentle, constant pressure on a dog's torso. This pressure has a dramatic and amazing calming effect for most anxious, fearful, or over-excited dogs. In fact, based on surveys completed by over 1,000 Thundershirt users, over 85% of the dogs show significant improvement in anxiety symptoms when wearing the Thundershirt. That's why the company is able to offer a 100% satisfaction, money-back guarantee.
Melatonin
The following is an excerpt from an email sent by Dr. Aronson to one of our Guardian Angels, Rich Brady: "To treat thunderstorm phobia, I use a dose of 3mg for a 35-100 lb dog. Smaller dogs get 1.5 mg, and larger dogs may get 6mg. The dose is given either at first evidence of thunderstorm - dog becomes agitated, distant rumbling of thunder, etc. or prophylactically before the owner leaves the house when thunderstorms are predicted. Dose may be repeated up to 3 times daily. The latter may be used as a dose for animals with more generalized stress related disorders."
]

Thunderstorm Phobia

DAP
Dr Neilson reported a study "Evaluation of dog appeasing pheromone as a potential treatment for fear of fireworks in dogs" by Sheppard and Mills, published in Veterinary Record 152: 432-436 . The authors identified 30 dogs with a fear response to fireworks. Owners recorded a baseline of the type and intensity of fear in these dogs prior to treatment. Then the DAP plug-in diffuser was provided to the owners to use. Again owners were asked to record type and intensity of fear during the treatment period. Owners reported improvement in 9 of the 14 signs of fearfulness during treatment with DAP.
However there was no placebo control group, ie group receiving a dummy plug-in diffuser that did not dispense DAP. Since we know from some other studies that placebos can have substantial effects on dogs and on humans, with up to 30% of dogs and humans responding to a placebo, a comparison of observations reported by a placebo group of owners is needed to validate the study

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Melatonin! Wonderful...I'm looking into this as I thank you.

Mikey T to the rescue again! :)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
oh yes, Estha, it is for real... i posted this below for McFrecks when she was having her rough day. "Thundershirts" is just the brand product (you could use other things or make your own, really), but the idea is a sound one. Works for dogs, cows, and even people (if you watch the movie below, you see how it works for Claire Dane's character... dunno if you like movies, seems like you watch Andy Griffith tho...):

----------------------------------------------------------------

ps. re: "thundershirts" how interesting they make this. there is a good movie w/Claire Danes about Temple Grandin, a woman w/fairly severe autism who eventually got a PhD against the odds. she actually made a "thundershirt" contraption for herself, after finding that it relieved her anxiety too. there is a lot of evidence for this type of body compression helping w/anxiety. in the first minute of this preview, you can see the wooden contraption:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
This is Molly and Winston's first Fourth of July, so I'm really not sure how this is going to play out. With Molly's Addison's, the vet explained how I need to up her Prednisone for that day and then quickly taper it back down to normal. I'm hoping that my worry is for nothing.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My last basset (new puppy hasn't dealt with fireworks yet) used to love fireworks. He knew they meant kids were around, and he loved kids. He would insist on being walked when he heard them.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
yay for Gandy's first 4th of July. mine, too. i dunno what all the commotion is about yet. sounds a bit scary if u ask me. well, i will see.

Annie, Annie-- ya gotta come up one 4th of July to the basset waddle, the one u were telling me about. all of us bassets will stick together and then u won't be so afraid anymore... i'll purtect ya, since Boomah your bf can't be here in person... i mean in dawg... (tho i'm still trying to figure out what i'd be purtecting ya from... )
--Worm

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
There is some research in to a gentic cause for noise phobias there at least seems to be genetic links in some hearding breeds that have upward of 30% of the dogs effected by noise phobia.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Annie's phobia isn't as bad as I've read it can be for some dogs. She just gets whiny and clingy. Not all that bad except the 4th is kind of a big deal around here...biggest 4th of July parade on this side of the Mississippi River..and it's my favorite holiday. So it just makes me sad that my favorite day scares the bee-gee-zus out of her. I'm gonna keep reading about Melatonin and maybe give the vet a call just to make sure it is safe.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
I'm gonna keep reading about Melatonin and maybe give the vet a call just to make sure it is safe. [/quote}

the practice of using meletonin is by vets From the the Tufts school of veterinary medicine include the renouned veterinary behaviorist Nicolas dodman who almost single handedly ushered in the era for better or worse of using pharmacuetical in treating behavior problem with his practice and his book "the Dog who Loved to Much" using prozak for help in treating seperation anxiety. Doseage is 3 mg for 30-100 lb dogs over 100lbs 6 mg and under 30 1.5 mg.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 3mg Melatonin that also has 25mg Theanine with it already on hand...from what you have posted and what I have read online, it seems that it is A-OK for Annie to take it :) Shouldn't make her sleep just help her stay calm, which is perfect.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
lulu used to take ACE for anxiety with storms. sh was bad with them. shaking violnetly, drooling, stomping all over hoominz at 4am... she'd turn zombie... eyes were unidentifiable. like me on anesthesia a couple wks ago... haha

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dood...should have started the melatonin tonight.

The fireworks were in full effect...as in pyrotechnic-show-super-illegal-hope-you-don't-have-wooden-shingles-turn-down-your-miracle-ear type of stuff. Poor Annie. I anticipate a long sleepless night with her. Melatonin on board tomorrow at dinnertime.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The only thing Gandy is afraid of is the car. He can drool several gallons, then barfs, and if the trip is longer than 10 minutes, the back of the van gets really smelly. A trip around the block can lead to a lot of laundry.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am sure the fourth will NOT be fun here. Someone set off one firecracker (just a loud pop sound) while I was outside with flash-I have never seen him run so fast for the door! So I imagine fireworks will be bad for him. BUT he used to freak out over my 4 year olds ride in toy car (cozy coupe for you parents out there lol) because it is very loud on my sidewalk...then he decided it was fun to try and chase Daniel down the sidewalk :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I've tried the thunder shirt, ace, and DAP. Unfortunately none of them has worked for Yogi. He has severe anxiety to fireworks and thunderstorms. Not going to be a fun weekend at all.
Thing is I don't understand is thunderstorms never bothered him when he was younger. We would have horrible storms and he would just pop his head up, look at me and go right back to sleep. He changed about three years ago in regards to storms. He's always been afraid of fireworks. We live very close to where they set them off. Our house shakes when they have the big shows. I take him for a ride while the show is going off now but we still have a problem with people setting off firecrackers long into the night. So even though he doesn't have to deal with the big show, he still ends up getting stressed.:(

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, we did a few nights on melatonin, no luck. LOL. So I found a coupon for Rescue Remedy for Pets and ran up and got that...paws crossed that this helps. Even a little lessening of her anxiety would be awesome. If it works, I'll report back :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts