Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting the search for our new furry family member & could really use some help. First is timing… when does one put a deposit down if we’re hoping for an early March move in date?

Second, I’m worried we’ll end up with a ginormous 90 lb hound! After “enjoying” mid walk naps/packing a 40 lb flatty home… I can’t imagine helping a huge one into the car. Pretty sure we just ended up with the runt but she was perfect. Are there breeders that cater to the smaller side? If I could find a reputable Artesian Normandy Hound breeder in the US that would also be an option.

Lastly, what do you name your next hound after having a Princess Buttercup?She’s a tough act to follow. LOL Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
1. Out on the West Coast the basset tend more toward the European Style you might need to look for a breeder farther east. Even with that there are going to be the smaller pup in a litter. Seeking out a breeder that specifically breeds smaller dogs should be avoided because they are not ethical breeders.

2. We do not take deposits. We can never guarantee a future litter will contain a puppy that meets a particular buyers desires and needs. I an Highly suspect of any breeder that does

3. By the time a pup is 8 weeks or more the breeder should have a accurate idea of what the puppy will weigh as an adult.

4. Artesian Normand are a rare breed and much harder to find in US than a Small Basset. Also are you sure you want an artesian Normand the personality is not the same. Basset Fauve Basset Fauve de Bretagne Dog Breed Information - American Kennel Club are more common and a AKC FSS breed and tend to be smaller. There are a few basset hound breeders that breed both and they definitely exist on the West Coast look up Linda Cain CA & NE SoLow Bassets in California | Basset Fauve de Bretagne and Basset Hound puppies | Good Dog and/or Marianne Lovejoy CA The Beachside Boys , Cheri Feldhausen WA Facebook လော့ဂ်အင်ဝင်ရန် All 3 are quality breeders and produce Dog that Excel both in conformation and in the Field., . there is also the PBGV which tend to more a terrier in personality.
5. FC Soundtrack Pandora's Box NAP NJP MHE (Hope) her Daughter is Soundtrack Burn Torches of Hope (JOY)
I'm sure you will come up with something Appropriate.

34# Soundtrack Warrior Princess Xena Rally excellent 2021 Nationals

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Out on the West Coast the basset tend more toward the European Style you might need to look for a breeder farther east. Even with that there are going to be the smaller pup in a litter. Seeking out a breeder that specifically breeds smaller dogs should be avoided because they are not ethical breeders.

2. We do not take deposits. We can never guarantee a future litter will contain a puppy that meets a particular buyers desires and needs. I an Highly suspect of any breeder that does

3. By the time a pup is 8 weeks or more the breeder should have a accurate idea of what the puppy will weigh as an adult.

4. Artesian Normand are a rare breed and much harder to find in US than a Small Basset. Also are you sure you want an artesian Normand the personality is not the same. Basset Fauve Basset Fauve de Bretagne Dog Breed Information - American Kennel Club are more common and a AKC FSS breed and tend to be smaller. There are a few basset hound breeders that breed both and they definitely exist on the West Coast look up Linda Cain CA & NE SoLow Bassets in California | Basset Fauve de Bretagne and Basset Hound puppies | Good Dog and/or Marianne Lovejoy CA The Beachside Boys , Cheri Feldhausen WA Facebook လော့ဂ်အင်ဝင်ရန် All 3 are quality breeders and produce Dog that Excel both in conformation and in the Field., . there is also the PBGV which tend to more a terrier in personality.
5. FC Soundtrack Pandora's Box NAP NJP MHE (Hope) her Daughter is Soundtrack Burn Torches of Hope (JOY)

“Butt down.. aaallll the way down!” LOL I love it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thank you so much. Great advice! How far in advance should we start getting on waiting lists… without deposits :) ?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
We didn't take deposits either, preferring to keep our options open. I did give a deposit for my Whippet when we went to see her early on making her payment less when we picked her up at 9 weeks. Her breeder didn't actually ask for a deposit, but I felt I preferred to 'stage pay'!

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
Thank you so much. Great advice! How far in advance should we start getting on waiting lists… without deposits :) ?
Each breeder is different , we do not maintain waiting lists. when you have a litter every couple years or longer too much changes in between times. The breeders mention Have basset hounds and Basset Fauve's though I think Linda Cain is the only one breeding the Fauve's

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Awww, what happened with Princess Buttercup, may I ask? Sounds like she is ATB and a basset angel. lotsa good basset breeders here on the Left Coast. or you can find smaller adult bassets in basset rescue, then you know their size fer sure.

As for the name.... i dunno, but it would have to be royalty! Another Princess? Or maybe a Queen! Queen Amidala or Queenie?
--Worm

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, Princess Buttercup earned her angel wings/had her ears activated in March. She brought so many of us, throughout her (nearly 15 year) life, so much joy. We’re still heart broken but take comfort in the fact we donated her to Oregon State’s vet school. So the puppy who grew up in the athletic training room will continue to help students & her fellow pet friends. It was a wonderful experience our vet wasn’t even familiar with. Highly recommend it to anyone nearing the bridge. It made an awful time feel just a bit better. We’re so looking forward to the pitter patter of four new paws.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts