Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little loving Ollie is so sweet...one thing I have not been able to get him to stop being "bitey bitey boy" when we cuddle. He has sharp teeth and I stop petting him when he starts that and tell him "no bite". It worked for the Corgi I had, but Ollie seems immune. Any suggestions???
We want him to be a cuddle bug. Hard to cuddle when he keeps up the bitting.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
That's very normal and will last a while. He's got lots of new teeth to grow and just like human babies, it hurts and they like to chew to make it feel better. This is also when he's continuing to practice his bite inhibition...learning how hard he is allowed to bite without causing harm. This is developed through play with other dogs...littermates, parents, etc. You can help him practice it too.

What I did with my 2 when they were bitey (Winston still is to a degree) is substitute a toy or something they like to chew. Puppy teeth hurt like heck! Once he is through this stage, he'll be a cuddle bug I'm sure. Just know that it's normal and he'll grow out of it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My flash will be 5 months old in about a week. He is still bitey, although saying be nice will get him to just kind of nibble the skin now. He does have much longer periods of being cuddly and sweet nowadays though! Tonight we were playing fetch with the rope (ok, it is really me throwing it, flash running past me with it and wanting me to chase him but fetch sounds better!) and when I got kisses from him, I realized he left blood on my hand. I looked on the floor and sure enough, he had lost another tooth (looks like one of the puppy molars actually, it was back further on his jawline).

Just wanted to let you know there is light at the end of the tunnel! Letting out a loud OUCH would stop him from biting right that moment and then I switched to saying be nice if he was just getting a little too strong of a bite. But there for awhile, those little teeth feel like needles jabbing into the skin!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
puppy out grow mothing put young puppies ex[lore their wourld with their mouths than starting at 4-5 months they start teething and at 10-12 months a second teething pase when the third molar simillar to wisdom teeth in humans come in that said you actual do not want to stop mouthing in a three month old. The reason is mouthing give you the opurtunity to teach bite inhibition. Bite inhibition is a life saving skill in dogs. It is this simple a dog will bite in the right circumstances the difference between a safe dog and a dangerious dog is how hard it bite Teaching a souft mouth, ie bite inhibition is only effect when the dog is younger than 20 weeks old

seeBite inhibition

teaching bite inhibition

Keep in mind how every dog reacts is going to be slightly different some dog will interpret a high pitched yelp as an invitation to play other respond well to it . Changing the tone of your voice can have a dramatic effect positve or negative you need to experiment. For some dog the yelp is simply not effectve and you need to use ignoring the dog etc. The thing is though you need to try what you think has a reasonable chance of success using your knowledge of your dog and give it a reasonable amount of time before giving up. changing between methods willy-nilly is only going to confuse the dog and be ineffective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts