Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As request the schedual for AHBA field trials at the North Lancaster Beagle Club (near reading) are out

This year at the Northern Lancaster County Beagle Club
we will be hosting AHBA basset trials on April 28 and 29 and also once again on Labor Day weekend. September 1st will be the NE Regional hunt and the 2nd will be the PA state hunt.
The cub is located in Cocalico, PA (between Reading and Lancaster) and we have 160 acres of running grounds with a good rabbit population and there are also kennels available.
If you haven't been out to one of our hunts, come on out and if you have, we hope to see you again!
here is our web page:
NLCBC

·
Registered
653 Posts
Micky, do you have any advice or books on training scent hounds. Norton is my first Basset and the beagles we had a were naturals and roamers. In that they would find a scent and follow it and eventually return home. I would like to show up with a trained dog and a half trained handler /owner. Any advice would be welcome.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
you would be better of posting that question on the Ahba Forum

I did no training per say with Macey she is very much an observational learn especially watching other dogs. so that is how she learned by going to hunts.

I do no some have tried using drags with store bought rabbit scent to varring degess. other use road kill rabbit kept in the freeze but but nothing beet the first site chase and that general happen by chance when you are out and about but you can increase your odd by going where there are know population of rabbit, when go when they are most active and scenting condition are better early morning ie dawn and dusk

You can try local beagle cubs but in a rare club indeed that will accept basset owner as a member and/or allow basset to run on the grounds.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trial added Following Weekend at Elizibethown Beagle Club Elizabethtown PA near lebannon May 5-6 and Broome County Beagle club May 12-13 just east of Binghampton NY in Windor NY.

E-twon trial 2008 gives you and idea

1 - 5 of 5 Posts