Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two things i wanted to ask people about Monty who is just over 7months old now.
I am unsure if this is just a basset thing but Monty makes the oddest of noises, sometimes he sounds very frusrated and i worry somethings annoying him. They range from him sounding like a farm animal (mostly a cow or a pig), to strange little snarls at nothing and waving his head about like somethings behind him, or a long groan and a little mumble to himself. I dont know because he does this when he's playing with his toys too and jumps about round them like he's imagining pouncing. One thing i notice is he does this when he's against a wall, he rolls up aginst the wall and tries to wrestle with it and actually nibble the wall. When im out wallking ith him sometimes he will stop and lie down against a wall on his back and just look at me and make a little noise, then he stares at me for a bit and when i laugh he jumps up and skips along like he was winding me up and thinks its hilarious. Monty has always made weird noises to himself, like he's talking and mumbling to himself, when he was very little he'd make little pitying noises to himself as he fell asleep, if i moved at all he made funny noises that made me burst out laughing! I also notice he is very indecisive, he lies down somewhere, even outside on the grass, will snooze for about five mins and then get up, make a complainging grunt and flop down somewhere else, he will move about the place until he is satisfied. The only place he doesnt do it is on the back of the sofa that he has been so kind as to weigh down and cause the back of the sofa to become out of shape and turn into montys very own self-made hammock where he sits like he's the king of his castle.

Is this normal behaviour, im worried he has a skin problem i cant see. He couldnt have fleas as ive treated him and the house consistantly. ive checked his skin and its fine other than the bits under his armpits that get red so i put baby powder on them and it clears it up and keeps it away. Is he just a drama-queen? Other than that he seems fine, he jumps and frollicks about so i dont think theres any problems inside him and he eats like a horse.

A second thing id like to ask about is play. Monty can get very rough and he is big now so he is not the little fairy he once was, he's like a small elephant and is not gentle. Ill just be sitting watching tv and out of nowehere he lands on me and wants to play making funny noisesagain. When we are playing i have managed to get him to stop biting down hard, but if i catch my hand the wrong way on his teeth it hurts! i want to play with him but he keeps trying to play tug of war with my clothes. i tell him no and i stop the game, he will let go if i slow down and say no but he will do it again two seconds later-he doesnt seem to learn this -what am i doing wrong? Also, when we are playing he tries to get up above my head level and then wrestle with me-is this ok or is it a dominance thing. When i stop him from playing he has a tantrum-as in sits and makes frustrated noises and sometimes he pokes me with his paws and then runs away. or ive noticed bassets have a way of slightly curling their paws in so as to be able to pull things!

any ideas/suggestions would be great :)

thanks

·
Registered
761 Posts
Virga makes a lot of funny noises too. She'll grunt and grumble to herself while she's playing. It's so hilarious! She's very vocal, Doppler not so much. It's quite hysterical. As I'm typing this, she's laying in the hallway behind me playing with one of the toys she and Doppler have and growling and grunting.

As for the tugging, just be consistent and patient. Stop all play for about 5 minutes until she's calm and then resume playing. For the first few days you might have to stop play a lot. But she'll eventually figure it out. Good luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
He sounds like a vocal hound. Much like mine.

You could redirect the tug of war from your clothes to a pull toy. I took some lengths of fleece and braided them together and knotted each end. It's a great tug o war toy and he may learn to use the fleece toy rather than your clothes. Good way for both of you to get a bit of a work out too.

I'm sure Toughy will be by to give you better guidance.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
sounds like a fun puppy to me. I'd take other's advice, and try to get him tugging on toys, rather than on your clothes.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I was going to start a thread today on the funny noises that Annie makes. Today I had to tell her she sounded like something not of this earth. I'll have to get a recording of it. It happens around meal time, I know she is excited but geez...homegirl acts like she is never fed!

At any rate, it sounds to me like Monty is a normal 7 month old basset hound with an awesome little personality :) I second the vote to exchange toys for clothing. Just have something handy to give him when he goes for the clothes.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Definitely sounds normal to me. If you every watch young dogs at play, they are VERY rough.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
i tell him no and i stop the game, he will let go if i slow down and say no but he will do it again two seconds later-he doesnt seem to learn this -what am i doing wrong?
Aboslutely nothing. You need to keep in mind his age. He is an adolscent and they will be testing boundries, ckecking to see what rules apply when are some temporary etc you just need to be very consistent.

Biting Pant Legs & Ankles

Puppy Adolscence - or Demon Spawn

It also helps giving the dog an appropriate outlet for rough housing. It is one reason I find tug of war valuable. Most dogs learn better during play and you can train under highly arroused situations so if they control themselves then there is a very high probablity they will always be under control. Played with ruled it teaches the dog to be very careful with its mouth .

See the link to learn how ti instill rules into the game. If you have a dog that won't or does not know how to play then I can give you some ideas and tools to change that as well.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
I second the vote to exchange toys for clothing.
Here is the problem with that advise if taken in a vacuum. The dog simply learn that to get mommy to play you tug on her clothes first. So it is imperative that this is not the only way the dog is taught how to intiate play.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Dang, Catherine M!! Is that from Gandy?

That looks like super rough play...
It wasn't really rough play. He has discovered the fun of bouncing on the bed and going airborne. It looked worse than it was. He has landed hard on my husband's soft spots. Much worse. Not my favorite way to be woken up in the morning. He's getting about 2 feet of air under him, and then comes down kind of spread eagle, ears flying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can only speak for the odd noises. Both of my bassets are very vocal when it comes to just about everything. When one of them wants the other's bone he'll moan, moo, cry at first, then he'll scratch my leg and look at me wide-eyed to take the bone from the other one. The other usually moans, then cries, and finally gives a high pitched bark if he wants something. It sounds like you have a normal, healthy, strong willed basset.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts