Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sad scenario.... we have 2 hounds... Taffy who is 6, we have had her since she was a puppy (non registered) and Danny who is 2 1/2... (purebred and registered) who we got from a family that he just didn't fit for... Taffy is well 'educated' and is a great hound... very intelligent.. Danny seems shy and timid.... beautiful markings on both (tri colored)... problem is that Taffy now is not being herself around our youngest... she (mostly when awokened) growls and snarls at your youngest and others.. we have 4 children and last Wednesday, one of our daughters friends were over and Taffy nipped at this little girls face... and I know for fact that she wasn't asleep when this happened.... needless to say, the girl required stitches.... Taffy has to go... Danny, I don't want to get rid of him... but if so, we want them to both go together.... as they have become accustomed to each other.... we have 2 dog houses and their accessories and supplies including their beds.... this morning Taffy growled at our little girl... this isn't acceptable and there isn't an alternative.... does anyone know where I can successfully advertise these 2 hounds?? I am located in Western Canada in Regina Sask.... I would prefer Taffy to go to a home without small children... if this isn't acceptable to be in these forums, please mods delete.. thx... my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I imagine that Canada also has Basset Rescues like the states do. Perhaps a google search will turn up with some information for you. When I googled it I found: Basset Hound Rescue of Ontario (www.bassetrescue.ca) and Canadian Basset Rescue Network (canadianbassetrescue.tripod.com). Of course when you contact them you must tell them about the issues you've had. I know that it is a tough decision to give up your hounds...but it is the responsible choice. Good luck!

~Heather

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Has this been an ongoing problem with Taffy? If not, is it possible that Taffy may have some type of medical problem that could be causing her not to be herself? It is always very sad to hear of these situations and I do feel very bad for you and your family.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I imagine that Canada also has Basset Rescues like the states do. Perhaps a google search will turn up with some information for you. When I googled it I found: Basset Hound Rescue of Ontario (www.bassetrescue.ca) and Canadian Basset Rescue Network (canadianbassetrescue.tripod.com). Of course when you contact them you must tell them about the issues you've had. I know that it is a tough decision to give up your hounds...but it is the responsible choice. Good luck!

~Heather[/b]
Hello.. thanks I'll look into this, unfortunately where I'm located it's not a thriving metropolis!

Has this been an ongoing problem with Taffy? If not, is it possible that Taffy may have some type of medical problem that could be causing her not to be herself? It is always very sad to hear of these situations and I do feel very bad for you and your family.[/b]
Taffy, even when young, if you were to touch her when asleep, she would wake up 'protecting' herself... but just the last few weeks it's been really bad.... health wise, she is great.... thanks for your help

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
from the Basset Rescue Contact Phone Numbers for the US & Canada of the Dailydrool.com
"Saskatchewan
Brad & Andrea Stevenson, Swift Current, SK
Phone: 306-773-7220"

I have no idea how current the list is. However a dog, any dog ,with a bite history is very difficult to impossible to place because of liability issue. It is very possible that she is not deamed adoptable. It is very important to be up front with an incoming coordinator about the behavior. The last thing you want is another child being hurt.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yes, I've gotten 3 hounds from BHRO, Basset Hound Rescue of Ontario.

Good luck Citrus, I can imagine it's hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello all..

well thanks for the replies.. thought that I would send out an update

it broke our hearts, but we did place our female with a wonderful man and his partner... no children...
and we sat and talked about her for quite some time prior to the placement....
we stressed that it didn't suit her well being around extrememly young kids... they said NO chance of kids around them!!

our male... we decided to keep him..... it's been about 4 days now since we placed the female (as it was hard to place both together) and now, our male seems to be 'incredibly' lovable... he's different..... he's still shy, but there is no 'dominance' placed on him... and he is getting loads more attention... so in the end of this kinda sad story, seems that it all has worked out well!!!!!!

thanks again to all

Rob

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Rob,

I know it wasn't easy, but it sounds like you made the right decision for all involved.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
:) :) I'm so glad this sad story had a happy ending!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks again for all the info... I'm now happy... and hope that this is what was meant to be... attached is our 'DANNY'.....

·
Registered
272 Posts
wow...
what a difficult decision you made!! But it will help everyone in the end. Good for you for making the right (and not necessarily the easiest) decision!
what a beautiful guy!!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Hi from Moose Jaw, 40 miles to your west! So sorry you had to make such a tough decision, hopefully it will all work out for everyone. Danny is one beautiful hound. Maybe someday we can meet, and get him together with Bo and Moose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts