Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the more than 1 hound crowd:
Are your dogs jealous of attention given to the other dog?

Dudley and Minnie are both jealous when the other is getting attention. Minie is worse (female, go figure :p

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I have 5 dogs, and they sometimes try to share each others' attention. Other times they're busy, usually sleeping. ;)

If one gets snarky toward another, I remove myself from the situation, and no one gets attention.

A

·
0 Posts
Some times there is competition but Sabian usually gives in. Pearly isn't really a cuddler so not much of a problem. To cuddle with Beau I have to get on the floor because he can't get on the furniture. This makes Pearly kind of jealous but she just looks at me and whines she doesn't intrude. yvonne

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
"It's not a problem at all, just a point of curiosity."

Goes back to dogs do what works. Is it jelousy or more likely that the dog is to get some attention when you are giving another some? If you are more likely to pet a second dog while petting another guess what you'll have two dogs to pet.

If you don't want pushy behavior don't reward it. never bet the intruder. When two dogs seek attention reward the one that sits quietly not the pushy rude dog. Often times we reward pushy rude behavior on the part of our dogs and then wonder why the dogs are pushy and rude.

A

·
0 Posts
YES!!! Mine 3 are always barrelling in when one is getting attention at they aren't. I always end up with all 3 petting them. It always makes me laugh because they are so cute when they do that.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sadie is very independent & doesn't seem to care when I am loving on Spencer. He, on the other hand, is my "love thief." If I am giving Sadie any attention, he comes running for his share. When I come home & they both greet me, he does this little turn where he bumps Sadie with his butt. I think it is his way of getting her out of the way so he can get closest to me. While Sadie really does not seem to care, I try to give her attention by herself when Spencer is outside, where he enjoys being more than she does.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input, everyone.

Mike, I know you are correct, but convincing my wife to follow your advice would be impossible. :roll: .
So I supose I'll just have pushy dogs. Really a small issue in the grand scheme of things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts