Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up with two golden retrievers and I do not remember seeing as much hair as our sweet George sheds on a daily basis. Can I add something to his diet to help? The brushing and baths help some, but not near enough.

Second, George is now one year old. For some reason, I seem to walk on water in his eyes. He always wants to be by my side, does everything he can to obey me, almost like we are married. He will literally walk by the whole family just to be by my side. He also gets VERY jealous when I am physically close to my kids and wife. I work all day and probably spend the least amount of time with him versus my wife and kids. Are these dogs a one master type? If so, why me?

·
Registered
14 Posts
We were shocked by the shedding as well. After a year we're getting used to is - and it helps that Jed likes to be vacuumed. The addition of salmon oil to food may help keeps the skin nourished, and at the very least the coat is shinier. Also - there is a brush available called 'The Furminator' that gets into the undercoat and will collect an astonishing amount of fur. Bathing is by far the best for Jed, and we take him to a self-service dog wash and give him a massive rubdown and rinse which really helps.

Our furniture also gets pretty hairy, so I go over it with a damp rubber glove and retrieve the hard-to-get stuff. If we bring Jed to someone's home, we normally bring a blanket so our guests won't find a basset covered chair when we leave. And I have lint brushes everywhere - my desk, the car, the office.

Good luck! I Just realized that I have dog fur my keyboard......

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Stomps (ATB) would sometimes let me vaccuum him directly, but Lightning is a big chicken. However, yesterday I thought "Why should I ask my animals to put up with something I've never tried," so I vaccuumed my own head. I have to say, it is much louder than I expected. But if you can get your pup used to it, it's awesome. I used to have a samoyed, and being able to vaccuum her was priceless. 3Aims, I'd have your wife and kids do all the feeding and walking of George, and don't allow him to sit or sleep with you, until he seems less territorial around you. This could escalate into an aggression problem if not nipped in the bud now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts