Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walk the dogs during the day while my husband is at work. He works a 12 hour shift and it's dark when he leave and dark when he gets back. Not to mention cold. So I walk the dogs during the day at the warmest time of day for winter which isn't very high at all. But they need to be walked. My question is what would be the best way to walk both dogs at the same time? I've got a coupler so I only have to deal with one leash. Two leashes would just get completely ridiculous. The walk took forever because Virga kept trying to run under Doppler like she does when they're playing. I had to keep untangling them. I feel like they just need to figure out what's going on and how this thing works. But I just wanted to post and see if any of you guys had any ideas. I've searched the forum and couldn't find anything relating specifically to my issue. If there is one and I missed it just point me towards it and I'd appreciate it! Thanks for any and all advice!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Good question! I am interested in hearing what others have to say about this as well.

My hubby just started a new job that has him out of the house for 12+ hours, and I now have to walk the hounds on my own much of the time. It's been interesting! I've been doing it with them each on their own leash, Larsen in one hand and Ninja in the other. I keep them both on a short leash, walking close to me. I thought it would be a total gong show, but so far, it works for me, although picking up turds is a challenge. I guess I'm pretty lucky though, because Larsen walks like a dream, so that helps a lot. Actually, Ninja is quite good on the leash too, with the exception of the fact that she wants to chase everything that moves.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I walk mine with two leashes, one on each side. I tried a coupler but it didn't work out for us, it's easier for me to just keep them completely separated. Neither of mine are great walkers and they love to stop and smell and pull so I wrap one leash around each hand and keep them close to my side, too much slack and they stop and smell to much and once they stop to smell it's hard to get them going again, which is also why I only walk them on the street if I walk them alone :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
I do the same thing, one dog in each hand on their own leash. Harley walks very fast and pulls a little bit while Anabelle likes to stop and sniff everything so I don't think they'd do well being so close with a coupler. I find the greatest challenge is when their collars fall off. They both have such large necks and little heads their collars pop right off when they pull backwards and I can't tighten them any further.

Turning around is also a bit of a challenge with one on each side. It's not too bad overall though.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
My question is what would be the best way to walk both dogs at the same time?
First you need to teach each dog individual to walk on a leash until that is done all is futile. There is nothing wrong with walking each dog seperately rather than trying to walk both at the same time.

That said I prefer two leashes to a coupler and the leash should be short ie 4 ft not six feet which gives you more control and less room for the dogs to tangle.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I walk my three together all the time,
I have Rupert and Patience in my left hand on separate leads and Dudley in my right hand:D
I use nylon leads with padded handles and we get along fine.:D

·
Registered
973 Posts
I walk my three together all the time,
I have Rupert and Patience in my left hand on separate leads and Dudley in my right hand:D
I use nylon leads with padded handles and we get along fine.:D
That's a good point I also use a leash with a padded handle. It is much more comfortable. This is the one I use specifically: Dog Whisperer by Cesar Millan Large Leash in Instinctual Red at PETCO It is large and round kind of like a horse lead and even has a little keyring to attach a key so you don't have to worry about your house key.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. I figured most people just used both leashes. I've decided to work with both dogs and get them better leash manners and when Virga is older and is closer to Doppler in weight and size I'll try the coupler again. If that doesn't work then I guess it's back to two leashes!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have both my girls in harnesses, and frequently walk them by myself. For our night walks (when I'm alone) I'll use my 6 ft nylon leashes, during the day I use the two retractable leashes so they can run about a bit. Occasionally I used a coupler, but they each like a bit of "alone" space to do their business, and having 120lbs of hound hooked together was a bit of a problem when the occasional stray [email protected] would wander by! If nothing else, I've got some great upper body strength! I'd stay with two short leashes, if I were you. Happy walking!

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have three dogs.... two Bassets and a Spaniel.... Bassets have to be on leads as they never stop sniffing and my well behaved Spaniel walks off the lead.

I seem to have every type of lead going for all eventualities (plus harnesses used once and halties used once) and depending whether I take them on my own or with my OH at weekends and light evenings. If we are on the beach or in the countryside I use the extending leads (the web type Comfort Grip Blue Extending Dog Lead by Flexi | Pets at Home ) but I have to keep uncrossing them as they keep swapping sides!

I often let one Basset off the lead at a time (swapping after a while) as they don't like to be separated so the one walking freely doesn't go away too far from the leashed hound. If OH is with me and we're in the local park, we can let them both off for free running but I only let one off when on my own.

I also have ordinary leads and a 'twin' attachment, (this type http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayLargeImageView?storeId=10551&imageName=/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/extralarge/22798.jpg&productName=Black Nylon Couple for 2 Dogs by Pets at Home&productCode=22798&catalogId=10601&langId=-1 ) that is just long enough for them to swap sides and it attaches to one lead and works fine along a road where I want to keep them together and is safer than extended leads, that I would never take near a busy road in case they clicked on accidentally and a dog got into the road.

If you have dogs that pull you along, especially if they see other dogs, short leads are much easier to control than extending ones (in my opinion) as the closer to me I can get mine to be, the harder it is for them to pull away!

If only they could be trusted like my Spaniel, life would be easier!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts