Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after coming home at lunch today and Rufus wouldn't eat his lunch, I became suspicious. He did doodle in the yard a couple of times, and when I was checking I noticed that some from yesterday had rocks in it. He drank well at lunch (ate a big breakfast too-although slower than normal) so I let him be for a couple of hours till I brought the kids home from school. By that time he wouldn't eat or drink and seemed a little listless, so I started calling the local vets to get him in (ours is closed on Mondays and the emergency vet doesn't open until later in the evening) and finally found one that would take him. I got him in early this evening and my suspicions were confirmed. He had a BIG rock lodged in his small intestine. Must have been about the size of a ping-pong ball, plain as day on the X-ray. By this time it was 8:30 or so and the vet said she'd do surgery this evening or early in the morning after she examined him better. He wasn't dehydrated much she said, and he had only vomited once right before we took him to the vet. He was in good spirits except for looking a little tired and was very cheerful greeting everyone at the Dr's. Hopefully the surgery will go without incident and he hasn't done any damage to himself otherwise.

Everyone please say a prayer for our "little" 8 month old Rufus who doesn't know he's not supposed to eat everything he sees. We don't know what we'd do without him.

On a side note, I think we will be ordering one of the Italian Basket Muzzles for him since he's shown a liking to rocks now, instead of just mulch, twigs, and everything else.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I can sympathize. Rusty swallowed a rock several years ago and it was also lodged in his small intestines. He was feeling alot of pain. That was the strongest clue something was wrong. He was very uncomfortable. Here is a photo of his rock and his incision. They considered it an emergency surgery and took him in immediately. Thankfully none of his intestinal tract was compromised. A slow recovery though. Sending healing drool his way.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/Boo...ie/100_1299.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/Boo...ie/100_1302.jpg

Well, after coming home at lunch today and Rufus wouldn't eat his lunch, I became suspicious. He did doodle in the yard a couple of times, and when I was checking I noticed that some from yesterday had rocks in it. He drank well at lunch (ate a big breakfast too-although slower than normal) so I let him be for a couple of hours till I brought the kids home from school. By that time he wouldn't eat or drink and seemed a little listless, so I started calling the local vets to get him in (ours is closed on Mondays and the emergency vet doesn't open until later in the evening) and finally found one that would take him. I got him in early this evening and my suspicions were confirmed. He had a BIG rock lodged in his small intestine. Must have been about the size of a ping-pong ball, plain as day on the X-ray. By this time it was 8:30 or so and the vet said she'd do surgery this evening or early in the morning after she examined him better. He wasn't dehydrated much she said, and he had only vomited once right before we took him to the vet. He was in good spirits except for looking a little tired and was very cheerful greeting everyone at the Dr's. Hopefully the surgery will go without incident and he hasn't done any damage to himself otherwise.

Everyone please say a prayer for our "little" 8 month old Rufus who doesn't know he's not supposed to eat everything he sees. We don't know what we'd do without him.

On a side note, I think we will be ordering one of the Italian Basket Muzzles for him since he's shown a liking to rocks now, instead of just mulch, twigs, and everything else.[/b]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an update on Ruffie. We talked to the vet at noon today and she said he had surgery at about 11:30 last night to remove a walnut sized rock lodged in his small intestine. He's on IV fluids/antibiotics and is resting well. He has no problem peeing as he does it everytime someone comes near she said, which sounds like him. They're going to try an introduce some water and soft food later today and tomorrow and see if he goes for it and how he fares if he does. We may get to bring him home in a couple of days the vet said, when he starts drinking and eating.

Update: stopped by and saw him and he was quite anxious to get out of the kennel. When he realized we weren't taking him with us he turned his back to us and wouldn't even acknowledge our presence. Snubbed me like I was the one who made him eat a rock! The rock was a smooth quartz rock that we're pretty sure is out of one of my wife's plants and not from the yard. Weird thing is that he was messing in there about a month ago and we put it up well out of his reach then, so he may have had the dang thing in his stomach for a while and showed zero symptoms, except for maybe the teaspoon of white foam he was yacking up every morning about 1/2 hour before his usual feeding time (which I still think may just be coincidental).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wow!! I hope Rufus is doing ok. It just seems like a rough experience. Mattie has never chowed down on a rock. Hopefully she never does. I hated spending the night away from Mattie, I can even begin to think about spending several nights without her, knowing she was at the vet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We got to bring Rufus home last night. He was one happy puppy to be back at the house. He was stiff and sore, but moved around pretty good I thought and his sutures looked good. They didn't fit him with an e-cone, because they thought it would drag the ground and get caught on everything with him, so we're going to have to watch him and make sure he doesn't chew, or scratch. They told us to keep him on a bland diet of chicken and rice, broth, chicken noodle soup and the like for at least 5 days. We decided it would be best to do it till he gets his sutures out and split his normal food volume into 5-6 feedings a day for that time as well plus an antibiotic once a day. And of course no jumping up on things or stairs which is going to be hard. Our living room is sunken with a couple of steps, so he's going to be banished to his crate or the dining room/kitchen area for a while. It will be harder on us than him!!

Thanks for all the well wishes.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Oh my! That's a heck of a story! I'm glad he's feeling better and here's hoping for a very speedy recovery.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
think we will be ordering one of the Italian Basket Muzzles[/b]
Having know a couple rock eater (non-bassets) it is the only sure way to control it when without causing undue stress on the dog. The only problem is the general public, who imeadately assume muzzle=dangerious dog.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

This is Bogie Carter, our rock eater, wearing his Italian basket muzzle. We call him our
little hockey goalie. He has had two surgeries for blocked intestines from eating rocks.
When ever we are in a rocky area, he wears the muzzle. Whenever we meet people I
immediately say, "He's not mean, he just eats rocks!" They then come over to pet him
and we get into some very interesting discussions.

I'm so glad Rufus is doing OK. The vet suggested rolling a towel to go around Bogie's neck
to prevent him from bothering his stitches. It worked great. We just duct taped it into the
roll, and then used string to tie it to his collar to keep it in place. He could still eat, drink, see,
etc. but not get to his stitches.

Bogie the day he came home from surgery.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was so grateful to Connie for posting that photo of Bogie with his "homemade" collar. I used that idea for Rusty and it worked well. Even my Vet was impressed :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was so grateful to Connie for posting that photo of Bogie with his "homemade" collar. I used that idea for Rusty and it worked well. Even my Vet was impressed :D[/b]
We ended up using a t-shirt. Luther got crazy everytime we tried to put anything around his neck. Worked pretty well. The only problem was his sister Sammy would "help" him take it off. :blink:

He recovered from his rock eating quite well. We discovered he will eat anything and everything so we ended paving his the kennel and he doesn't go out and about unsupervised. He misses the grass but I don't have to worry when I'm not home and the cleanup from two dogs is so much easier now!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bogie, your picture is the reason I ordered a muzzle for Rufus a couple of days ago. I got the same size you have. It'll be a little big, but not much and have a little growing room.

We also saw the towel collar too and thought about making him one. We've been with him pretty much constantly since he got home and so far he hasn't even looked at his stitches. He does lick the sides of his tummy where they shaved him cause I'm sure it itches like crazy. In fact, watching him bend around, I'm not sure he can get his nose on his stitches. When he had his hernia surgery and got neutered at the same time he never once touched his stitches.

One thing that does concern us is his poop output. The vet said as long as he's producing something that he's OK. But when I feed him about 3 cups worth of rice/chicken/eggs yesterday and he poos threes times for about 1/2 cup worth total (and it's skinny, dark, dark green stuff) we are somewhat concerned. Obviously everything won't be normal for a while and the smallness due to the intestine being cut and sutured, but still. Oh, he loves chicken noodle soup. Wow he loves that stuff!!!!!

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice and well wishes. We really need them .

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I was at a sheepdog trial a few days ago and a dog was running around with one of those green plastic flower pots on his head! His owner said it works much better than an e-collar. It was so funny looking! Bogie, you look like Hannibal Lecter's dog.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How is Ruffie doing?[/b]
He is feeling much better, other than being confined to his crate or in the dining/kitchen area. He will be at 11 days since the surgery on Xmas, so we will probably let him back into the living room at that point. He's still on a chicken/rice diet till next week, when we'll start introducing him back to his normal food.

We had to take him into the vet on Sat afternoon, because he just wasn't acting himself, vomited a little, and his poop output was still basically nothing. Our vet checked him out, prounounced him fine, and said nothing to worry about as long as he kept his food down and things were working their way thru. He still only goes a couple of times a day, and very little still, but the vet said that would be normal for a chicken/rice diet. He's not drinking as much as I would like to see, but he's not dehydrated that I can tell, so as long as he keeps drinking what he does he should be fine.

We got the muzzle in the mail last night, and since we have all next week off it will be a good time to introduce him to it. I can see the battle of the wills beginning now!!!! The sooner the better, as he is a royal pain in the butt when outside again, even on a leash.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The muzzle will be a challenge at first. We started with just a few minutes, took it off got a treat, wait a little and put it on again and repeat with treat when it came off. We would pet and talk to him and scratch his favorite scratching spots , etc with lots of TLC as he got used to it being on. After we worked up to about 10 minutes inside.we let him outside with it on. I sat and cried as I watched him try to get it off. Raked his head in the bushes, drug his head on the ground, drug it along the fence, etc. and thankfully it didn't come off until we called him and took it off when we got him inside. It got easier each time and now it doesn't bother him at all. He happily trots around with it on. It goes with him to the kennel we leave him at since they have rock around the shrubs. We take it on trips and have bought an extra one we keep in or RV for traveling to use whenever we are around rocks. Just for walks in the neighborhood on leash, he doesn't have to wear it because there aren't any rocks. Good luck with Ruffie.

I forgot to tell you that I had to attach screen mesh around the muzzle. Bogie learned he could lay his head sideway and flat on the ground and scoot along and things would get inside the muzzle so he could get them in his mouth. :rolleyes: Clever little guy. :rolleyes: I sewed it on with dental floss which is much sturdier that yarn or string.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Seems like basset "rock eaters" are becoming more common. I've heard that it runs in lines, though that's only anecdotal evidence and I don't know anyone who has done a scientific study. It would be interesting if they stopped using "rock eaters" as breeding stock for a few generations.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts