Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the Las Vegas Basset Rescue site this morning...They currently have a basset in there that is 122 pounds. I think that must be a record. He's a pretty big guy. Hope he finds a good home, that'll put him on a diet. Betsy??? :D

Sandy

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
OMG, 122 lbs? while other dogs didn't have enough to eat and starve to death, I guess this one is the other way around? :?

I met a lady in a basset waddle last week. She has 3 bassets, 90 lbs, 100 lbs and 115 lbs. Oh my my.... :shock:

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I got Slinky, she had been abandoned and she was only 27 lbs. I have had her a year and she is now 47 lbs. I have read that a healthy Basset is between 45-65 lbs., I was worried that Slinky was too thin. My vet assured me her stomach is full, and she is at a healthy weight. I can't help wonder what that 122 lbs. Basset was fed? Do you think this Basset was ever exercised. I think this animal is unhealthy.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a thought. When Duke's weight ballooned up to 82 pounds, I thought I was a terrible person for overfeeding him, even though I was careful what I fed him.
But then he was diagnosed (finally) as having Blasto, and one of the symtoms is rapid weight gain, a lot of it fluid. then when he was really advanced, he lost it just as fast.
Hopefully this pooch is healthy, just needs a good diet.

Sandy

M

·
0 Posts
OMG!! That is horrible that he is that fat! Poor guy! He must be exhausted from just walking across the room. Hopefully whoever adopts him while put him on a vet prescribed diet.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I wonder if he has hypothyroid problems. I hope he'll be OK. Poor thing can probably barely move. :cry:

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
This from Darlene at LVBR:
he came into rescue that big and was fed far too much in the previous home. He's on a slimming down diet and in another week he'll be back at the vet for a weigh-in. Bloodwork was all great, normal thyroid. When we got him he would turn his nose up at dog food, that proved to me he was used to gravy and potatoes ;)

I'm used to seeing starved dogs....this is a new one.

But, he's tall ;)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks, Betsy, for letting us know. I'm glad he's basically healthy! He's in good hands now......... :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I see a lot of fresh carrots and frozen green beans in his future.

lala

·
Registered
939 Posts
if only this dog knew about the joys of field trialing,then it would be in shape!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts