Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,
I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I have taken my dog to the vet numerous times and he’s told me that she is healthy slightly under weight but nothing to be majorly concerned about. This is my first time owning a Bassett but from every other bas that I’ve seen there always very full framed. She’s currently on science diet. Does anyone have any recommendations on ways to help her gain weight? Thank you. I will attach some photos below. Some background information: she turned 1 in November of last year.

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
she is going to be small . IT can years for some to body up. Deela ar age 3.5 -4 when fron rail thin to Bodying up to be biggest female , when her rib cage sprung and the rest of her caught up . Don't try and force it, better to be a little thin than a little overweight. We feed a variety of Purina ProPlan sport 30/30 it is high protein high fat diet and suppliment it with fish oil and coconut oil making it even higher fat .

FWIW had one Litter Xena runs around 38# dexter over 100

xena

Had a couple of my "kids" come in for grooming today. Lulu (tri) is a normal sized basset. Then there's Dexter (red). 17" and 95 lbs - not fat. I have no idea what happened there, I've never produced anything that big before. Fortunately he's a big loveable goof. .

xena and dexter bottom right @ 10 weeks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good afternoon,
I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I have taken my dog to the vet numerous times and he’s told me that she is healthy slightly under weight but nothing to be majorly concerned about. This is my first time owning a Bassett but from every other bas that I’ve seen there always very full framed. She’s currently on science diet. Does anyone have any recommendations on ways to help her gain weight? Thank you. I will attach some photos below. Some background information: she turned 1 in November of last year.
View attachment 29036
View attachment 29037
View attachment 29038
Oh my goodness she is a twin of my dog Dixie! Dixie turned a year old November 20th this year and she has the same body shape. She was raised on Purina ProPlan also. We free feed Costco kibble so now that she's an adult she eats whenever she wants to. She's healthy and very active. Your Basset is a petite girl, she doesn't look thin, and by the way, Bassets do tend to fill out after they turn a year old. She looks great to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
she is going to be small . IT can years for some to body up. Deela ar age 3.5 -4 when fron rail thin to Bodying up to be biggest female , when her rib cage sprung and the rest of her caught up . Don't try and force it, better to be a little thin than a little overweight. We feed a variety of Purina ProPlan sport 30/30 it is high protein high fat diet and suppliment it with fish oil and coconut oil making it even higher fat .

FWIW had one Litter Xena runs around 38# dexter over 100

xena

Had a couple of my "kids" come in for grooming today. Lulu (tri) is a normal sized basset. Then there's Dexter (red). 17" and 95 lbs - not fat. I have no idea what happened there, I've never produced anything that big before. Fortunately he's a big loveable goof. .

xena and dexter bottom right @ 10 weeks
Omg you have such beautiful babies!! Dexter looks like a teddy bear that everyone probably wants to hug! Thank you for all the info it makes me feel a lot better! I’m going to try to start giving her some fish oil is there a specific one you give your dogs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my goodness she is a twin of my dog Dixie! Dixie turned a year old November 20th this year and she has the same body shape. She was raised on Purina ProPlan also. We free feed Costco kibble so now that she's an adult she eats whenever she wants to. She's healthy and very active. Your Basset is a petite girl, she doesn't look thin, and by the way, Bassets do tend to fill out after they turn a year old. She looks great to me.
Oh wow nov 20th! Nala turned a year old Nov 20th as well! Thank you for the advice, I’m glad to see that I might just be overthinking it since everyone does think she looks perfect thankfully!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, we are having weight issues with a rescue. He's not a Basset but he is having weight gain issues. Our Vet says she has never seen a dog so abused/malnourished. Anyway, what we are doing is feeding him a high protein dog food put out by Merrick (we got it from the feed store) Following is the description: Grain Free Real Chicken + Sweet Potato Recipe. It has 65% protein plus I add grilled hamburger patty or chicken or liver. There was one with a higher protein percentage but we went with this one because it had more glucosamine because Bonezie has other issues. Maybe try a dog food with the high protein. Good luck and you have a very good looking baby :)

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
Omg you have such beautiful babies!! Dexter looks like a teddy bear that everyone probably wants to hug! Thank you for all the info it makes me feel a lot better! I’m going to try to start giving her some fish oil is there a specific one you give your dogs?
The one in the middle is LEILA there mother Dexter is Bottom right corner not much smaller than Leila and Xena is Tri between Leila and Dexter. and no specific fish oil, just at least 1,000 mg of omega 3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts