Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mattie.. what can I say!! My husband came home from work (where I still was) and our Christmas tree was on floor, and I just got Choc. Chip Cookies at store and they were on the stove and they were gone. So my husand picked tree up and looked around and hidden through out the house was cookies. It was 20 cookies left in the pack when we went to work, we have found roughly 11 cookies hidden through house, wonder why the other 9 cookies are.... in someone stomach. And Mattie has now been going back to her cookies sashes looking for her cookies for a snack, but they are not there!! CRAZY HUNGERY HOUND!! LOL!! And there was a cookie behind tree that is how it was knocked down!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Silly Mattie! That's too funny though. Hope there's no ill effects from the chocolate chips.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I once had a dog that was a master at hiding treats. Long after he was gone, we were still finding his stashes throughout the house. He also loved to urinate on the Christmas tree every year.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Haha.. hope the cookies were enjoyed by Mattie!!! When my kids were young we once put loads of chocolate santas and snowmen on the tree and in the morning when we came downstairs the tree was on the floor and the chocolates had been eaten even though hu+man choc is bad for dogs, they came to no harm!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mattie has had no ill effect from Choc. I know what you mean about finding stashes through out the house, we just moved and the milkbones we found after moving stuff. It was crazy. I know I found a whole box of milkbones hide throught the house. But I just laugh and go on!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I asked my vet about the chocolate thing after Otis ate an Easter bunny last year. He told me as long as it's not dark chocolate, it is relatively benign. Some sort of additional compound in dark chocolate that is dangerous to mutts. He said milk chocolate has only trace amounts.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I've dealt with the chocolate thing before. Bakers chocolate is actually even worse than dark chocolate. You are right though that milk chocolate is not too bad. We once made the mistake around Halloween of leaving a bowl of mini Milky Ways, etc sitting out. We came home and saw it was empty and blamed each other for eating them all before realizing it was our mutt. He ate the wrappers and everything.

According to a quick search it's 1 ounce milk chocolate per pound of body weight for a toxic dose which is quite a lot considering one Hershey's bar is 1.5 oz. For bakers chocolate it's only 1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight so only a handful of candy bar sizes to be toxic for a medium sized dog. Dark chocolate is somewhere in the middle.

Thankfully my tree will only be up for a few days as I'm waiting to put it up until after the carpet cleaners come just before Christmas. I already know Harley will pee on it and Anabelle will want to investigate under it and either break ornaments or knock it over.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for the fun story! I love it! I've been worried about the tree, so we'll see how it goes when we put one up next weekend. How funny- hiding treats to save for later- Fergus could NEVER save a treat to eat later, he always has to eat them right then.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Isn't it funny how they always seem to be starving? Just this morning, I put Flash in his room, which is where he stays when we are gone. (Big mudroom/breezeway off the kitchen) I fed him breakfast and left to take my youngest to school. When I returned home, the kitchen door was open and there was a package of bagels and hot dog buns demolished. Of course Flash (aka "Fat Basset") was lying contently on the couch still munching on the last blueberry bagel.

Maybe Mattie was just ahead of the game putting cookies out for Santa to find!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I made snickerdoodle cookies this evening and Boomer, aka "Helper Puppy", was helping. He shared a cookie with dad, but that wasn't good enough. When I was taking the next pan out of the oven, he reached up on the table and stole a warm one and RAN!

Next, I was making a plate to take to work, and he jumped again, only this time cookies went flying everywhere. I was hollering for hubby to come and help. A lot of help he was, if you call laughing help. But, it was kind of funny.

·
Registered
103 Posts
you sure can't trust a basset around treats! I am just picturing all these thieving bassets running away with their loot all proud, so cute! :p

In the last two months Ringo decided to become mischievous and has gotten half a birthday cake, a decent amount of jerky, and 8 cookies while we are gone. Now we double check everything is away from the edge of counter before leaving!

My boyfriend's dad processed a deer he got this hunting season and gave us a bunch of deer sticks (like beef sticks/jerky things) and yesterday Ella learned that if she pulled on the towel hanging from the fridge it opened the fridge and she got quite a few deer sticks before we realized it. We then had to hide and wait for her to try it again because we could not figure out how she had gotten them!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Haha that's funny about opening the fridge. Anabelle has figured out how to open the bathroom cabinets and tear into things in there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
yesterday Ella learned that if she pulled on the towel hanging from the fridge it opened the fridge and she got quite a few deer sticks before we realized it. We then had to hide and wait for her to try it again because we could not figure out how she had gotten them!
LOL! They're so smart and mischievous! This cracked me up. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We had to put children proof locks on our food cabinets to keep Mattie out of them. I glad to see that Mattie is not the only food stealer!! She is very good at it.
Someone gave me Deer Jerky to give to my husband and I forgot that it was in my purse.. well Mattie knew it was there and had her nose all up in my purse sniffing out the jerky!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Food Theaf

Oh, these all sound so familiar, lol. Snickers is ALWAYS taking food from the counter or my little guys high chair. We put her out while we eat or she'd be at the highchair eating along with the baby. My husband has called her a "slinky" as she may be short but she can really stretch up high for food. I once had take home bbq, the kids and I had already eaten and the rest was sitting on the back of the stove. I came into the kitchen and Snickers had gotten it down on the floor and had almost finished off the bbq. It was my hubby's dinner! He came home and went ahead and ate the rest, oh well, it's just dog slobber, eew! My son eats after her too, ..cooper takes a bite, gives a bite to Snickers the dog, then Cooper takes another bite.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Love how Ella got those deer sticks! What a smart girl and that is too funny!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Love the thieving basset stories! We have to be diligent about pushing the chairs in at the diningroom table and making sure anything edible in the kitchen is well away from the edge of the counter. I made chocolate cupcakes this past weekend and had them sitting out on racks to cool. We were all on high alert to keep Cannoli away from them but one momentary lapse in diligence and she had swiped a cupcake! We chased her around and managed to get the wrapper away before she ate that at least LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts