Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site and I have a litter of pups that are 3 weeks old. Two days ago I discoverd that I have a pup with 1 blue eye. I have seen only one basset pup like this ever. I am just curious, how common is this?

·
Registered
297 Posts
It is very rare but not a trait that is at all desirable. It is considered a fault and usually occurs when that side of the face over the eye is white.

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
FWIW Blues eyes are actual the result of a lack of pigment in the Iris. Hence as Smitten said more common on the white side of face but the movement of pigment cells from the nueral crest for the coat and the eyes are not control entirely by the same mechanism.

This lack of pigment eyes, ears etc has in some instance been associated with so health problem hence the reason it is a serious fault.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My puppy Basset Betty has a blue eye!....my older Basset Barry has the same mum & dad & although he has two brown eyes I was informed by the breeder their dad is the carrier of this & the lemon & white colouring she has so she is quite eyecatching little thing!.....the breeder informed us it is considered a fault & she would not be able to be entered in shows with a blue eye...but we dont care because sfe's beautiful...feel free to look at her in my pix...i'm sure you'll agree..she's currently 4months old!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts