Otto: Time for Big Pharma - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Otto: Time for Big Pharma

I haven't posted in a long time, thought I would just say Hi and update on Otto. Otto started having seizures about 3 years ago: 1 year apart, 6 months apart,then 3 months apart and his last one on Thursday was only 27 days from the previous, and this was his first cluster seizure. Our vet and I had agreed we'd wait til they got to be a month apart to put him on medication, so we're there. He started Keppra Thursday night.

The last year has been pretty interesting as far as trying to find something to help manage his epilepsy: diet changes, acupuncture, medium chain triglyceride oil, trying to identify stressors, etc. etc... while some of these may help some dogs, nothing worked for him.

The one thing I want to mention that does help to shorten the length of the seizure(his are long if they run their full course- at least 5 minutes) is pressing a bag of ice on the middle of his spine- after 15 seconds he will open his eyes and jump to his feet- if I get to him quick enough the seizure time is reduced by about half. I learned about this on the Epi Angels Website, I think its also discussed on the Canine Epilepsy Network site. If your dog has epilepsy you may want to read about this and try it- it actually works for Otto.

I'm hoping that the Keppra will help him. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Edited to say oops, just notice I posted in the wrong section, meant to post under medical issues- its been so long since I posted I guess I forgot how to do it!!! (maybe a moderator can move it?)

Last edited by murraysmom; 11-02-2019 at 05:51 PM.
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 04:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

[quote=murraysmom;432821]

The one thing I want to mention that does help to shorten the length of the seizure(his are long if they run their full course- at least 5 minutes) is pressing a bag of ice on the middle of his spine- after 15 seconds he will open his eyes and jump to his feet- if I get to him quick enough the seizure time is reduced by about half. I learned about this on the Epi Angels Website, I think its also discussed on the Canine Epilepsy Network site. If your dog has epilepsy you may want to read about this and try it- it actually works for Otto.

[/quote]

This is interesting, but for others, be careful. A dog in a fit is 'out of it' and could bite. Best advice is usually to make sure the dog can't injure himself when 'thrashing around' and stand clear, watching to make sure the dog comes out of the fit.

Is this actually epilepsy and have you told his breeder because if it is, this combination at least (sire and dam) shouldn't be repeated because of the hereditary aspect.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi FranksMum- yes, the breeder knows.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"I learned about this on the Epi Angels Website,"

then I assume you know the of the need for Liquid Valium for Cluster/and Status seizures, These can be life threatening especial if more than 10 minutes from a vet.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yup, $300 for two liquid valium rectal syringes: ready to go.
Our whole house is set up now for seizure emergencies- night lights in every room so we don't kill ourselves running down the staircase at night, ice packs at the ready, fans set up with long cords so we can get him cooled down asap, Hagen Das vanilla ice cream in the freezer for afterwards.......
Our vet also gave me his cell phone number to call day or night if he has 3 in a row or if they won't stop.
Keppra is $170 per month at the vets, I'm trying to find a cheaper source.

Can someone move this thread to the Health area in case someone wants this epilepsy information down the road?

Last edited by murraysmom; 11-04-2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

have no experience with it. Problem with most human anti-seizure medication for dogs is 1. expensive 2. 1/2 life of therapeutic dosage much shorter so you need more of the drug making it hugely expensive,.

Ours was on old school Potassium bromide and Phenobarbital which was ineffective. Lost her to a status Seizure at 2 1/2
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

We're hoping for the best, our vet has seen good results with Keppra with few side effects, but you never know..... will post again about this as time goes on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement