new user, new to dogs, husband has alzheimers - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default new user, new to dogs, husband has alzheimers

hello all. just joined up. we have a 3 year old basset female we rescued her in Nov of 2018. from what we know the previous owner worked a lot and then one day said she didn't want to keep her anymore alone at home so she left her at a doggy daycare where my son worked(he no longer works there). i asked for 3 days to get my house prepared and buy supplies but the owner said she couldn't bear to look at her knowing she was giving her away and just left her at the daycare. after about two days of Clementine coming home and spending a few hours with us i told my son to just bring her home. it was clear she didn't like the daycare and staying over night. thus began our journey. we had 2 cats and Clementine acted like she just knew them forever. she is constantly attached to my 19 year old son and sleeps with him. here is where it gets "complicated"....my husband was a firefighter exposed to chemicals and has early onset alzheimers and encephalopathy with rapid decline. Clementine loves Michael and he ADORES her and will usually forget who i am but wants to know where is the dog. in the beginning it was really good but it seems as Michael declines Clementine can sense it and she becomes stressed to the point of for last about 4 months she has had some on/off tummy issues and colitis and several blind attempts at fixing her diet. we have never had a dog before so we are clueless and have been to the vet more times then i want to admit. Clementine whines incessantly when our son Sean leaves the house for work. he only work part time and mostly from home. we NEVER leave her at home alone someone is always here mostly because we are homebound with my husband anyway. in the morning she MUST sit with Michael for a few minutes if she doesn't she will get emotional and not eat for awhile then if she does that to long she gets upset tummy and throws up. when Sean works from home on the computer she gets upset and literally sits on his lap in the computer chair . this August she had her teeth cleaned and in passing the vet said she expressed her anal glands. we did not ask her to do that and Clementine never had an issue but since the teeth cleaning it seems her tummy is more upset and now she will be just sitting on couch with me and oooops she let out a drop of gland juice as i said she never did this before but has done after the teeth cleaning. she is on her third food trial per vet instructions. the current one is FARMINA Lamb limited ingredient . her poops are formed like a nice candy bar so it seems everything is in working order BUT she still acts like she is starving or her tummy hurts then again this morning she threw up on the couch. she has been on the FARMINA Lamb for 6 weeks. she takes 1/4 cup of a goat milk probiotic. gets a few green beans for snacks and has a Wholesome Hide Organic Collagen rawhide once a day. i feel like the stressful environment is causing the issues but i dont know how to make it easier for her. its excessively hard on all of us being caregivers 24/7 and we just want her to have a happy doggy life but she is just so emotional. for example Sean took her to work with him a few times when he substitutes teaching for seniors at memory facilitation and she was like the class therapy dog laying down at each of the seniors feet and getting rubs BUT after about an hour she was staring at Sean and WHINING. its only a two hour class. she had peed and pooped and ate so thats everything covered but she still just stared at him and whined. we walk her about 4 times a day and she often meets up with her doggy friends and they walk all at once. but if everything doesn't go just the way she wants it inside her doggy head it seems we get more stomach issues. her lab work is fine .her physical exam is fine. soooo how do we get her to...i dunno....relax? are her tummy and gland issue stress related (as vet saw nothing amiss)? we LOVE her but between my husbands care and hers i am exhausted and about to check myself into a mental institution (which she probably picks up on as well) sorry this is so long and slightly random but as i said first time dog owners and we have issues

Last edited by Lriley36; 10-01-2019 at 11:22 AM. Reason: punctuation
Lriley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Went to vet

We took Clementine to vet this morning as her tummy was uncomfortable again. X-rays showed she was pretty constipated. So with some diet changes she should be better soon. As for the emotional stuff....that's where we don't know how to make her more relaxed given the environment is stressful. But at least her tummy will be better soon
Lriley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement