Dry Dog Food - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dry Dog Food

What dry dog food do you feed your basset? My last basset ate Blue Buffalo. I will never feed another basset that food. I read their is too much lead in it. I believe it. The dry dog food varieties have gotten crazy. Way too many varieties and yet many dogs are getting sick. I am looking to feed a good quality simple or plain dry food. I would like your thoughts and ideas. I am basset-less right now but am doing my homework for our next puppy. Thanks!
Sweetbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019, 03:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

There's not a lot of point letting you know what we feed our now only two hounds as we are in the UK and I'm assuming it's not available where you are. This is a ww website, if American-based. However, we feed a food that isn't cereal-based but one with the main ingredient being salmon. I'd urge any Basset owner to do a simple test with kibble - drop a piece in warm water and see how much it expands. This is a breed prone to GDV (Bloat, with torsion) so you do not want something that blows up, once eaten. We've had 4 cases over the years, two didn't survive, two did. We add just a small amount of tinned meat to the food - and always feed adults two meals a day instead of one big meal. And we are careful not to feed for one hour after exercise, and not exercise for 2 hours after feeding. Even sticking to this, we still had the 4 cases!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Dry Dog Food

I fed my girl mini meals throughout the day. If I didnít she would throw up bile. Thank You for your helpful information.
Sweetbasset is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

proplan performance/sport 30/20

for puppies I do recommend large breed puppy formula's because of the corret calcium and phosporous leve;ls to minimize odd of abnormal bone growth,. and the reduced caloric density to prevent growing too fast.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

We also do homemade raw diet for a couple that require a special diet,
Old 03-02-2019, 01:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here is my idea...If you look up a dog food and the first thing that comes up is about the lawsuits, don’t buy it! That’s what happens when you look up Blue Buffalo.

I feed Natures Receipe grain free. They seem to like it.
Carisab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

[quote=Mikey T;431917]proplan performance/sport 30/20

for puppies I do recommend large breed puppy formula's because of the corret calcium and phosporous leve;ls to minimize odd of abnormal bone growth,. and the reduced caloric density to prevent growing too fast.[/quote]

To say nothing of too much PROTEIN = too much growth too fast. Eh Mikey!!
Old 03-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

protein is not an issue and has been studied extensively total caloric content fed is. That is it is not just simply the caloric content of the food but how much is fed.

https://ivcjournal.com/feeding-large-breed-puppies/

"The most important factors in preventing developmental orthopedic disease (DOD) are rate of growth (which is proportional to the caloric intake) and dietary calcium level.

A common misconception found in many internet articles is the claim that dietary protein should be controlled in large breed puppies to prevent skeletal abnormalities. This theory was disproved some years ago (Nap, 1991)."

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/nutritional-requirements-of-large-and-giant-breed-puppies "In general, giant breed puppy foods should be lower in fat, have a good calcium content, an appropriate Ca:P ratio, and provide high quality protein. The calcium content should be around 1.5% (or 3 grams/1,000 kcal). Large and giant breed pups should consume diets that contain at least 30% high quality protein and 9% fat (dry matter basis). Remember that protein quality varies with the source, so high quality foods may cost more"
Old 03-06-2019, 07:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

To counter what's been posted here -

https://www.petmd.com/dog/centers/nutrition/evr_dg_dangers_of_high_protein_dog_foods

I stick to my thoughts about 'too much protein = too much, too fast'. I am living with a hound who was reared on a well-known food, puppy/junior with 32% protein. He has many structural problems now, and has had from around 8 - 9 months when he was found to be suffering with premature closure of the growth plates, radius and ulna (which isn't unknown in the breed). Yes, he might have had these problems via his breeding, but we have never used a product with a protein level much over 26% (puppies) and we have never had the problems he has. Perhaps we were 'lucky' to have a slow-maturing line. But my current hound was a big boy at 4 months and his breeder was ALL about bigger=better.

I also believe that 'high protein' food may also have more than might be good, for this breed, in other areas - eg calcium and phosporous levels

Last edited by FranksMum; 03-06-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hello,
I feed my pup Earthborn puppy, she loves it and we have had no issues with it. They have very good reviews and have never had a recall
Lotti-Loch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement