A member Again - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2019, 06:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A member Again

I think I was a member many years ago. I am Sweetbasset and have been owned by two beautiful basset girls. My first special girl, Bailey lived to be 9 days shy of 15. I just sent my second special girl, Katie to Rainbow Bridge on February 4th. Katie was only 10 years and 9 months. She had a sensitive stomach for half of those years. Bailey had an iron gut and could eat anything. Basset Hounds spoil us. I want to find out where you can get a basset hound that is bred for longevity and good health. I know both are a crap shoot in life but someone out there may have owned a few Bassets that have lived to be 13, 14 or 15 years old and generally had good health and got them from the same breeder. Wish me luck!
Sweetbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

[quote=Sweetbasset;431837]I want to find out where you can get a basset hound that is bred for longevity and good health. I know both are a crap shoot in life but someone out there may have owned a few Bassets that have lived to be 13, 14 or 15 years old and generally had good health and got them from the same breeder. Wish me luck![/quote]

You are not wrong - it is pretty much a crap shoot and a lot would depend on the owner, as well as the breeder who can only breed to the best of their ability, all things being equal and sell as good an example of the breed as they can. Most of my home-breds lived into their early teens, but there were exceptions sadly. (Cancers - various).

Best I can advise, assuming the breeder of your first long-lived hound isn't now around or has stopped breeding, is you go via the relevant Club (BHCA?) and ask the questions you need answers to. Good luck - life without a Basset is very hard.... I know as some years ago now, we ended our bloodline, realising that we didn't want them outliving us. We did switch breeds, buying a Whippet (pet) but she wasn't a Basset, so we later bought in another with just a wee bit of mine in him. If they should outline us, they could go back to their respective breeders - not possible with our home-breds! And it does have to be thought about as we age!

Good luck with finding a new Basset puppy!!

Last edited by FranksMum; 02-21-2019 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Clean up and add-ons.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome back!
haleyword is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement