Help! My Pup has wrist issues! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help! My Pup has wrist issues!

My 1 year old Basset Pug cross, Ryder, is having issues with his left front leg. It seems to buckle over at the wrist. We took him to two vets who both xrayed his legs and said that he has a genetic malformation- his wrist did not form properly. One vet gave him Glucosamine to help strengthen the joint, the other told us to look online for a carpal brace. I went home and looked for the brace but there are many different kinds and quite a difference in prices. Has anyone else had to order a carpal brace for their dog, and if so, any particular brand you could recommend that was helpful for your dog? Ryder is a good natured, sweet dog- I hate to see him limping at such a young age.
Bassug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

FWIW most carpsus problems are soft tissue ie lax tendon and ligaments Search the general forum for carpal support and wworm . Wormy has a carpal support I believe it had to be custom made to fit.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Ryder,

Sorry to hear about your wrist issues. I was just slightly knuckled over as a pup and we got the braces to hopefully prevent that from getting worse. As we have no point of comparison, we don't know for sure if it helps, but we are sure hoping it did. I haven't had any wrist issue since.

We don't know what area you are in, but in our area, there are a lot of dogs and doggy health care. I saw a physical therapist and she was very knowledgeable about the different types of wraps etc. If you have one in your area, I might suggest that. I think Mikey knows of a carpel braces company, and we brought that to her. But she was more comfortable with the company that she usually works with, so we got our braces from Thera-paws. I tried and tried to fit a usual size, but being a Basset I couldn't. So they had to custom make it. It was a little expensive

I wore it for about a year and a half, only when I went to the doggy playground. That was because I played very hard as a puppy with lots of hard running and wrestling. I stopped wearing them when I started agility training.

Unfortunately, I recently tore my rotator cuff. I saw AN orthopedic vet, who put me in a shoulder sling which helped. That was DogLeggs. The ortho vet was very knowledgeable. I am also going to start rehab next week with a physical therapist.

We see another thread about's activity and self-regulating. My person doesn't feel like I self-regulating well. She says I can't be trusted! I play too hard at the beach and I running running running running nonstop. That's when I tore my rotator cuff.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

wwormy you may want to check the protein level in the food you are getting 32% and higher eliminated exercise induced injury In sled dogs to zero in one study.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement