Shivering Basset - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shivering Basset

Hi all. I'm new here. I came across an old post where someone was asking about shivering bassets https://www.basset.net/boards/genera...ng-basset.html.

I have a nearly 2-year-old basset girl that started shivering a couple weeks ago. All of her bloodwork has come back fine. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. She's eating fine. It doesn't appear to be temperature related (she doesn't seem cold).

Just wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this.

Here are some clips to show what I'm talking about. https://imgur.com/a/lBl5dcb.

Thanks in advance
bingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

14 yr old male, shivering when wet, cold, stressed (no longer likes car rides, sensitivity to loud sounds), separation anxiety. He's been through disk rupture, old dog vestibular disease and is now wheelchair bound outside. Does yours stop shivering when you set and talk/stroke?
dhartung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

My basset used to do this, we think to get attention. He would also moan, sometimes, while doing it. But he would magically get better when we would offer him a treat, or went outside, etc. I'm not saying that is what yours is doing. I'm just saying that bassets can be very clever that way. Just something to keep in mind. But he never did it in his sleep. I can't tell from your second clip - is yours asleep in that one? If so then, obviously, she's not just doing it for the attention.
tamara6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhartung View Post
14 yr old male, shivering when wet, cold, stressed (no longer likes car rides, sensitivity to loud sounds), separation anxiety. He's been through disk rupture, old dog vestibular disease and is now wheelchair bound outside. Does yours stop shivering when you set and talk/stroke?

Talking to her and/or petting her doesn't always snap her out of it. In fact, sometimes it seems the opposite happens. She'll be laying down (not shivering) and I go over to pet her, happy that things are "normal", and it seems to trigger the shivering. If I hold her it's like she can't get comfortable and wants to go back to laying down. Then moments later, she'll be playing with her toys.
Her vet is stumped. I'm expecting a call today to get her scheduled with neurology, so I'm hoping I can get her seen soon.

Last edited by bingston; 11-14-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: wanted to include quote from dhartung
Old 11-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamara6 View Post
My basset used to do this, we think to get attention. He would also moan, sometimes, while doing it. But he would magically get better when we would offer him a treat, or went outside, etc. I'm not saying that is what yours is doing. I'm just saying that bassets can be very clever that way. Just something to keep in mind. But he never did it in his sleep. I can't tell from your second clip - is yours asleep in that one? If so then, obviously, she's not just doing it for the attention.

It doesn't seem to be attention-driven for my girl. If I can distract her with treats or toys, then she'll get up and things seem to be fine until she lays down again. But her playtime seems shorter than it was before. She'll play for a few minutes and then return to the same place on the couch and once she lays down this behavior comes back.

I agree bassets can be clever, but it just doesn't seem like she's tricking me into getting treats.

She's not asleep in any of those clips. Once she's fully asleep the behavior lessens and mostly goes away.
Hoping to hear from a vet neurologist today and get her scheduled soon
Old 11-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default shivering basset

How strange! My one year old has been doing this on and off also...Eating/playing/everything else fine...I wonder....?
BassetMomAgain! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassetMomAgain! View Post
How strange! My one year old has been doing this on and off also...Eating/playing/everything else fine...I wonder....?

I'm waiting to hear back from neurology and schedule an appointment. Not sure when they'll be able to get me in, but I'll fill you in once we get back in case it helps - Might not be for a couple weeks though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement