Basset Hound Puppy extremely aggressive with our other dogs over food. Help! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2019, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Basset Hound Puppy extremely aggressive with our other dogs over food. Help!

Hello everyone,

My wife and I have a lovely 17-week old basset hound puppy. He is great and we love him to death but we are having a major issue that has been ongoing lately... his aggression with our other dogs when it is meal time.

When we would feed him his usual evening meal and if our other labradors will approach he full-on attacks our other dogs. Bites them, howling, very aggressive.

Tonight was the worse as when he began to attack our other labradors and when we separated him, he tried to bite my wife which is a first and made her very upset. We are obviously very concerned.. we have given him nothing but love and care. We are lucky to have two very calm, very nice dogs but if this continues, we fear a bigger, nastier fight amongst the dogs will happen.

We are obviously untrained in this area and we have absolutely no idea what to do. Can anyone please give us suggestions on what to do with an aggressive basset hound puppy? He is completely fine otherwise, it only has to do with food. We are worried this is going to get worse. Do we call in an expert?
hfxchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 04:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well first off, this pup has to be fed in a completely other area from the rest of your dogs and not let back with them until ALL the food bowls have been lifted. He is resource guarding, obviously and it is in the nature of the breed to defend what he sees as 'his'. However a full on fight at that age would worry me - most would just growl a warning and the other dog(s) back off. Has one of your other dogs ever actually got into his food - pushed him off.

Where did he come from (reputable breeder?) because unfortunately, this lovely breed has fallen into the hands of the BYB who frankly doesn't care about anything other than money, so his basic temperament may not be all it should be.

From my experience with Bassets, rather than force this issue it's usually better to approach a problem by prevention and avoidance so you don't have a full-on confrontation with the hound who may well, being pushed into a perceived 'corner', react with a bite.

Only once did I have something like this going on, with my first hound, years and years ago. Due to my inexperience, I had my only bitch at the time, in full season and in her crate with him around. He managed to get on-top of the crate and I panicked, thinking it could collapse on her with the weight of him, so I went to get him off, and he bit me. At that point I phoned a local boarding kennel, and my husband who came back from work and took him right out of there. That situation was never allowed to happen ever again!

I suppose, and it's up to you, you could have an experienced person come SEE what's going on but that person must be aware of what makes the Basset tick. This is a breed like no other. Far better, for me, would be to exercise avoidance/prevention, now you know what could happen with him.

Last edited by FranksMum; 11-04-2019 at 01:38 PM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"first off, this pup has to be fed in a completely other area from the rest of your dogs and not let back with them until ALL the food bowls have been lifted."

for this we fine crates very helpful. The other thing you want to avoid is feeding the basset in a protected area ie crate but allow the other dog to be near by when this occurs. The "safety" of the crate allows the Basset to practice and hone its aggressive tendencies to try and drive the other dogs away and the other dogs to perfect being rude and intrusive with zero consequences.

Keep in mind even with resource guarding it takes two to have a fight. The other dog can always back away and not encroach on the personal space of the eating dog. Many times humans misread the situation and so call aggressive dogs are provoked, Resource Guarder have a much lower threshold considered provocative on encroachment by other animal including humans.

Most people manage resource guarding if it only occurs in dog v dog situation and not dog v human.

Keep in mind resource guarder general guard multiple things so a food guarder is often a personal space, toy guarder as well. You need to be diligent and aware of that possibility. Beside its own meal it will also guard stolen or found food. I would also confine the dog during any meal prep or train it to remain out of the kitchen while it is occurring.

ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- Help for Object Guarding

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-c.../food-guarding

http://www.coastalboxers.org/forms/b...DING%20DOG.pdf

best resource on resource guarding and touch sensitivity
https://www.dogwise.com/ebook-mine-a...rding-in-dogs/
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

I give up ..... I have tried with this place but I'm tired, very tired, of being second-guessed all the time. If you (you know who you are)
want to take over this place totally, good luck with you and GOODBYE.

Enough is enough and it's worth considering why so few people actually do stick around here for long ...............

Last edited by FranksMum; 11-05-2019 at 01:05 PM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

" And in the pack, he would instinctively know to guard his place within the pack, mainly his spot. However with food it would be hoped that each hound would know it's place within the pack, as fighting over food wouldn't be a great idea!"

lol pack that feed enmass have a very simple means of dealing with food aggression it is not about genetic, instincts etc they ruthlessly cull. Not l an acceptable practice to the general public.

using a crate can not make the situation worse if done correctly and that is confining all the dogs while feeding.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement