Ear infections - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2019, 06:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ear infections

Only the left ear is constantly infected and we've tried everything. From several vet appointments over the years to deep ear flushing and still the left ear is gets infected. Has anyone else had only one ear be a constant problem?
tobytobytoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2019, 05:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

if you have not done so try blue power ear treatment, http://www.midatlanticbassets.com/ar...rTreatment.pdf

keep in mind alcohol and Gentian violet are otic toxic and gentian violet is a potentially carcinogenic this stuff works were lots of other treatments fails. but it is not something you want to use everyday for simply maintenance.
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

As a last resort, talk to your vet about having an aural resection done. This is where they make a small nick under the ear flap to incrase the air supply to the area. Rather than all the 'try this, try that' you all too often get into with ear problems. And which only empty a Bank account fast.

https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/de...899&id=4952084 There are other websites if you check yourself.

Just to add, you do need your vet to do a swab, culture and identification to find the correct antibiotic treatment to hit what's going on in there.

I have had one ear being more stubborn to clear infection, than others, yes.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2019, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobytobytoby View Post
Only the left ear is constantly infected and we've tried everything. From several vet appointments over the years to deep ear flushing and still the left ear is gets infected. Has anyone else had only one ear be a constant problem?
We had problems with ear infections until we used monistat! You mix a little with a little water microwave until like warm and drop in ears.. Haven't had any since!! Its amazing!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Logans_mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans_mom View Post
We had problems with ear infections until we used monistat! You mix a little with a little water microwave until like warm and drop in ears.. Haven't had any since!! Its amazing!

I'd be very careful with what you put down the ear(s). Which is why I feel getting a vet to do a swab, culture and identification and then prescribe the correct treatment, is the best way to go with stubborn ear infections. Using the wrong treatment, which may work for some, but not for others, could do more harm, than good.
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
I'd be very careful with what you put down the ear(s). Which is why I feel getting a vet to do a swab, culture and identification and then prescribe the correct treatment, is the best way to go with stubborn ear infections. Using the wrong treatment, which may work for some, but not for others, could do more harm, than good.
Our vet is the one who told us about it! And he hasn't had one since! Their infections are caused by yeast infections because their ears don't get to dry out.

Logans_mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans_mom View Post
Our vet is the one who told us about it! And he hasn't had one since! Their infections are caused by yeast infections because their ears don't get to dry out.

That's as maybe for YOUR hound. But what's going on with OP's hound could be quite different - hence the need for a swab, culture and identification, so the correct treatment is given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement