Sleep pattern - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sleep pattern

Hello, new here and new to having a basset hound but not new to being a dog owner.

My question is about adjusting our bassets sleep patterns if possible.

Currently, because I work full time and my husband is a truck driver, our 7 month old basset (who we’ve had since he was 4 months old) spends most of his day crated. I come home at lunch for his pee and food break. I used to try and walk him a bit but he seems to not enjoy that (lays down on the grass and refuses to walk) so I stopped.

Right now I would prefer to wake up at 6:30am for the day but he starts whining and crying at about 4:30. He goes for a pee and will settle back down for another hour but that’s it. He seems starving when we actually get up. He eats and then spends the next few hours playing before he has to go in his crate for the workday. After work he eats and we go for a 45 min to 1 hr walk as well as playtime in the yard or house. He settles down and curls up on the couch around 9:30-10pm. He sleeps the night in his crate in our bedroom.

For the most part, the routine works except the 4:30-6:30am business of getting up to pee and then being starving. I’ve tried a couple of times to give him food at about 8pm but it doesn’t seem to help.

Any suggestions out there for the slight change in his pattern? I just want him to sleep a bit longer in the morning....or is that too much to ask at his age?

(We had a boxer for 8 years but we did things differently and my memory is foggy on how his puppy years went...)

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carla.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 03:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well from me, and others will differ, I don't like it that a Basset of 7 months should need to be shut in a crate for 'most of his day', or being alone like that either. Not any dog actually but the Basset is a pack animal and can't be enjoying living a solitary life, especially crated. Add to that, best practice is not to over-exercise a Basset of under a year which I'd suggest being out for up to an hour is. Again others will differ with my take on that and it does depend on what kind of 'exercise' - if he's just ambling around at his own pace, I suppose it's ok but organised road walking - no. It's too much for a youngster.

Further this is a breed that is prone to GDV (Bloat) so it's never a good idea to feed for an hour after exercise. More importantly, no exercise for up to 2 hours after a feed. The digestive system needs to be relaxed when feeding/digesting. If he's unduly hungry for breakfast (and what Basset isn't eager for food!!) I suggest a small feed last thing (we use tinned Chappie UK) which may curb the need for food first thing - mine would upchuck overnight, bile, until I started doing this. Breeds prone to GDV should be fed their daily food intake split into two, or more, smaller meals.

Now to the early waking - good luck with stopping that. Once the birds sing, the Basset wants UP. Mine sleeps in my room in his crate too (as does our Whippet in her's) and it can kick off early, with the longer days. I prefer to get up by 7 am but I have been known to shut him in the kitchen after being let out to empty (or not) if he starts up before 6 am, which he can. Just to get my extra hour in bed. Of late, he seems better about that. You may have to make sure you have curtains that shut out the light at least, to stop this. My Whippet only stirs when I do in the morning.

Of all the things that you are doing with this lad, it's the being shut in a crate for hours, coupled with being alone for hours too that I'd say would be a no-no for the breed especially (even if people with any breed seem to crate their dogs for way too long these days). Crates were never intended to be used like that! Sorry.

Last edited by FranksMum; 06-23-2019 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Tidying up what I originally wrote.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

in studies done there is no association bloat and time fed and exercise timing same as water.
https://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...acts-and-Myths
Quote:
Several popular theories regarding bloat were not substantiated during the
study. There was no correlation of bloat risk to exercise before or after eating, as most dogs bloated in the middle of the night with an empty, gas-filled stomach. There was also no correlation to vaccinations, to the brand of dog food consumed, or to the timing or volume of water intake before or after eating.
Quote:
he study also found that fearful, nervous, or aggressive dogs had a much
higher incidence of bloat than did dogs perceived by their owners as
having happy temperaments. Stress can also be a precipitating factor, and many
dogs bloat after recent kenneling, or a recent long car ride. A slightly higher
percentage of males than females developed bloat.
risk associated with dry food
[quote]During the past 30 years there has been a 1,500 percent increase in the
incidence of bloat, and this has coincided with the increased feeding of
dry dog foods. There is a much lower incidence of bloat in susceptible breeds
in Australia and New Zealand. Feeding practices in these countries have been
found to be less dependent on dry foods.[quote]

There are biological reason that is is actual preferable to feeding closely following exercise especially in regard to glycogen replacement. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3905295/

You have created a schedule , to change the schedule you are going to have to ignore the dog . When you do this something bad happens at first known as an extinction burst. That is when you try and change a previously rewarded behavior. i.e. get up time then behavior is going to become stronger and more obnoxious at first before it ends,. https://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/07...inction-burst/

So can you actual survive the extinction burst on the way to a new schedule? if not it is not worth even trying to change the behavior.

also 8pm is no where near late enough if you are simply trying to shift time. it is also something that will work better if done slowly like say shift evening meal scheduled and morning schedule 5-10 minutes each week over a 2 -4 month period you will get 2 hour shift with a lot less protesting.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2019, 02:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm sorry Mikey but you can dig up as many articles to oppose my contributions here but to rubbish my comment about feeding a Basset (or other deep chested breed) is frankly dangerous. The digestive system needs to be rested (which kind-of supports the idea about stress being involved in GDV) when food is introduced. And this has been known for a very long time.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply Franksmom but I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Right now we cannot trust the puppy to be left alone and he so he needs to be in his crate for safety. That’s not to say he will forever be locked in there. He also has plenty of play, walking, socializing and loving. I believe most dogs get used to the way their life works and he seems quite content with his life right now.

I appreciate your concern about bloat, what a terrible thing to have happen. He currently uses a “maze” bowl to slow his eating. As well as balls and other home made gadgets to stimulate his mind and feed at the same time. I will be more careful with his feeding schedule.

We live on the Canadian prairie and right now we have hot days but cool nights so I was opening the window for cool night air. This means the 4am birds are waking everyone up. My window now stays closed along with blinds and curtains to shut out the morning. This seems to have helped a bit.

Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carla.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
The digestive system needs to be rested (which kind-of supports the idea about stress being involved in GDV) when food is introduced. And this has been known for a very long time.
Same as not swimming for an hour after eating. Complete and total b.s. old wives tails that people still believe, https://www.dukehealth.org/blog/myth...m-after-eating https://www.aarp.org/health/medical-..._swimming.html BBC - Future - Should you wait an hour after eating until swimming? Actual studies on bloat show no correlation with exercise after or before meal time

Last edited by Mikey T; 06-26-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement