Aggression - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2019, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Aggression

Hello I’m new here,
I joined to talk bout my Basset Hound Blossom, she’s five years old and we have had her from a puppy but she has been progressively getting worse with aggression. We are very puzzled at this as a family because she never shows unusual aggression at home or with other dogs in the home. Only on walks with dogs, it started with just on lead aggression lunging snarling etc but now it can be off lead too. She will go up wagging her tail looking absolutely fine, sniff the dog say hello for 30 secs and then wham no warning snarling lunging etc with no reaction from the other dog. No visable cause or anything. We are really worried this will progress to actual biting and damage. We do tell her off afterwards and will get submissions. We have tried positive reinforcement with treats and positive words but get seemingly no difference. Please help if you have any ideas Thanks
Rosiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 04:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiejo View Post
Hello I’m new here,
I joined to talk bout my Basset Hound Blossom, she’s five years old and we have had her from a puppy but she has been progressively getting worse with aggression. We are very puzzled at this as a family because she never shows unusual aggression at home or with other dogs in the home. Only on walks with dogs, it started with just on lead aggression lunging snarling etc but now it can be off lead too. She will go up wagging her tail looking absolutely fine, sniff the dog say hello for 30 secs and then wham no warning snarling lunging etc with no reaction from the other dog. No visable cause or anything. We are really worried this will progress to actual biting and damage. We do tell her off afterwards and will get submissions. We have tried positive reinforcement with treats and positive words but get seemingly no difference. Please help if you have any ideas Thanks

Okay. The only time I had anything like this going on was with the last of our home-breds. When he lost his sister he started to be quite bad with any dog he saw when out on his walks. His hackles would go up. He didn't lunge, but he was quite different and I realised how much he'd relied on the others to sort out any 'problems'. He'd never been the only hound, from birth.

I think your girl may be adopting an attack is the best form of defence attitude, for some reason. Has she been spayed? You need to stop this before it starts - telling her off afterwards is basically too late and she may not actually associate what she's just done, with your correction. For now, I'd not let her off the lead if there are any other dogs around. That's privilege number one she loses if she behaves badly. She may pick on the wrong dog to get rough with, and end up injured in a fight.

It may be a time to get her in for a general health check. Something may have started hurting (attack best form of defence from ouch). And if she's not spayed, then book that in to be done too.

Without SEEING the body language it's difficult to advise - you need an experienced BASSET owner to see what's going on really.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"quote"she may not actually associate what she's just done, with your correction[/quote]"

It would be really weird if she actual did, What she actually learn is how crazy and unpredictable humans are.

Quote:
but she has been progressively getting worse with aggression.
that is how it normally works without any active intervening behavior modification program.

Quote:
it started with just on lead aggression lunging snarling etc but now it can be off lead too. She will go up wagging her tail looking absolutely fine, sniff the dog say hello for 30 secs and then wham no warning snarling lunging etc with no reaction from the other dog
so you solution to on leash aggression has be to remove the Leash. As from above such behavior only gets worse not better without active behavior modification program . Dog has learn acting aggressive is go because it prevent perceived potential of bad stuff from happening. What needs to happen is changing the dogs perception that the approach or presence of another dog that bad things happen. And as you describe that perception is not wrong. The presence of another dog increase the likelihood she get scoldin/punishment for an unreliable/crazy human. you must work extremely dilligently to change this learned behavior pattern as it in now ingrained and only going to get more ingrained overtime as she get to practice it over and over again with each encounter of another dog. see:

fiesty fido

Cautious Canine

Quote:
We have tried positive reinforcement with treats and positive words but get seemingly no difference.
that is actually by definition in possible. Reinforcement is something that increases a behavior. If it does not increase a behavior it is not reinforcing. Positive in behavioral parlance mean something added not a value judgement of good=positive bad = negative. so From the Dogs perspect growing and snapping are selF-REWARDING POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT, in that it gets the other dog to provide it with larger personal space. The type of training that uses terms like Positive reinforcement is called operant conditioning that is the dogs behavior controls the results. If order to be usefull the dog must be able to associate its behavior with the outcome like getting a treat or not. Does not work well in high stress situations. and Rarely effective in changing a dogs emotional state. In order to do that you need Classical Conditioning. ie pavlov. Bell rings= food is coming.

how this works in your situation Another dog coming = food. but this will require thousand if repeated occurrence to unlearn previous emotional response which is another dog = humans yelling and acting crazy. You also want to keep such encounter to a distance that you dog does not feel threatened and reacts. cuz the first thing you need to do to break the cycle is stop giving the dog opportunity after opportunity to practice behavior you do not want
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Is it caused by insufficient socialization in her puppyhood? My previous dog also has similar problems as she hardly met other people and dogs when she was young. It's hard to correct immediately, but you could instruct her to meet a friendly male dog or female dog smaller than her, which poses fewer threats at the first meeting. Then, try to adopt the steps in this training guide It's recommended to start your training in a quiet park and remember to grasp the leash tightly once she finds out a new "target".
Huge Rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

It seems to me that she may just be nervous or confused, or maybe it's cause he has an overactive neural system. Have you been to the vet? Have you found something helpful?
If it's still actual, I've totally seen the topic about calming treats for dogs here -- https://doggolab.com/ Maybe it'll work, but really, better check on at the vet, he may advise something more effective then just treats.
Advertisement