My 6 month old is a big whinner! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2019, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My 6 month old is a big whinner!

Buford has been such a dream pup since we got him. His potty training was so easy! He rarely ruins anything in his puppy chews! Been sleeping through the night for 2 months. And so lovable. But recently he has started whinning in his sleep, day or night. Even more recently he wakes me up at 4 a.m. I take him out to potty and right back in for bed. Then he really starts to whine, he jumps at my bed and wont settle down. Normaly he is not allowed in our bed, and I dont want to start that habit, as I have neck issues. Hes also become a fussy eater. He has to see us add goodies like chicken broth, our older dogs chicken and rice mix, ect...and then sometimes even then he might refuse it. Im not sure if the whinning and fussy eating are related.
Quirkyladyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 04:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

OK so the oh so cute (and perhaps over-indulged?) puppy is reaching puberty and pushing it!! Push back! Don't give in to what's going on - and definitely resist him getting on the bed if possible because once allowed up, he will be up there all the time - and apart from it not always being convenient, jumping off could cause injury. My current Basset is a whiner/moaner. AND he wants up when the birds start singing outside and it's light out there. It's as well to let him out - just in case - but a fine balance between he crys, you react, sending the wrong message, and ignoring him and having a mess! I've not figured out why my lad is noisy other than right now, all of a sudden really, he's quietened down so I've gone to a local b itch in season upsetting him. I'm resisting having to go the castration route (mainly because he has a heart murmur) but it may yet happen, for my own sanity as this moaning and whining really gets to me.

I'm afraid re the eating, provided there isn't some underlying issue going on (vet health check?), you have to feed him separated from any other dogs and only let them back together once all have finished and the bowls taken up. Have you checked inside his mouth re teething which should be complete now but if there's a problem there, it will affect his ability to eat comfortably.

You can and should up his exercise now (limited organised road work still - the ability to run around makes for a better form of exercise for the 6 month old Basset) in case this has to do with excess energy! Over the years, I have found that some Basset boys can be 'demanding' so now is the time to stick to the original training - and be patient!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I didnt realize this was puberty age! Ugh! Im sure that is some of the problem. He is definately spoiled! We have been taking him for walks almost everyday since the bitter cold winter left us....we live on a very private country dirt road, so he definately enjoys getting to sniff everything along the way!
My big concern was this morning, he got me up at 4 a.m. again, I let him out to potty, he came back in and 5 minutes later was banging on the dog bell to go out again, I tried to ignore him until the dreaded sound of vomit! After he came back in from that, he was shaking and whinning until about 8, just when i was about to call the vet, he stopped. He didnt eat breakfast, but ate most of his lunch and supper. ( i feed small portions, 3 times a day because our other dog has pancriatic attacks, and is on this schedual.)

Old 05-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

fussey eater tend to be created not born that way. Also reaching an age that growth slows and is a bit erratic in terms of energy need. If feeding three times and starts skipping a meal is a good indication to cut back feeding to twice a day. Put his food down and pick it up five minutes later regardless of how much he ate. Do not feed until next meal time. be consistent. I healthy dog will not starve itself because it does not like the taste.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

We found that putting him in a completly different room as the other dogs and gating him off seems to help. He is doing better this week, thanks. The whining has almost completely stopped also. However he has now developed a mysterious limp!�� of course these things keep happening on a weekend when the vet is not in.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Now this could be worrying as there is a condition, Panosteitis, which can affect the breed from around 6 months, although the norm is more usually 8 months and on. Keep him quiet, in terms of running around, until you can see your vet. I hope he knows about Pano because originally many vets went to HD/ED which this isn't. It affects the long bone, and rotates round the legs - giving it the name of the Creeping Disease. The good news is it's self-limiting even if while the dog has it, it's painful. Crate rest and only out to empty on a lead - recommended. And buffered aspirin can help with the pain.

But you do need to get this confirmed - he may just have tweeked something although again crate rest is a good idea. If this doesl turn out to be Pano, his breeder should be aware as there is some indication of this being seen in bloodlines.

Typical for a weekend - I swear they look at the calendar and 'get sick'. But this isn't an emergency in the truest sense, as long as you rest him.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...teitis-in-dogs

FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement