Female spaying/desexing age? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2019, 07:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Female spaying/desexing age?

We have a 17 week old little girl for whom our vet is already starting to give us the speech about "start thinking about desexing her soon as it lowers her risk of mammary cancer". However our extremely knowledgeable breeder tells us it's best to wait until after first heat at LEAST, certainly not before 1 year of age. She has to be spayed by 2 years as part of the sale agreement from the breeder......
I'm led to beleive it can create issues later in Bassets, with joints among others if they're desexed too early. The vet by her own admission has little experience (but is a Dr of animal medicine and surgery) with bassets and our breeder has 40+ years experience with the breed (but obviously lacks the education the vet has).

I'm inclined to think there's merit in the science (which is pretty conclusive) and therefore advice from the vet but it's also obvious they've got a vested interest in doing the surgery in as much as I'll have to pay them to do it.

I'm leaning heavily toward trusting our breeders advice given that Bassets have such specific and complex health needs and risk factors.

Any experiences/advice you'd care to share folks?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
nzhotpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

We are having the same dilemma with our 4 month old, the one thing we’ve definitely decided is we are waiting until at least after her first heat.
Lotti-Loch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

New evidence is showing that early spay/neuter has many negative health, growth and behavioral consequences, regardless of breed but more so I would suspect in large, heavy breeds, at least in the growth department. I would follow the breeder's advice and wait, if you can, until she is closer to two.

Mind you, this is also a lifestyle decision. Keeping a bitch intact is not to be taken lightly as you must be able to protect her from accidental breeding, plus there can be messiness and hormonal mood changes when in season. If you're not prepared to deal with these, then by all means go ahead and spay, but do so from an informed position, weighing the pros and cons.

FWIW, over the years I have had many females that were not spayed until they were 7 or older. In all those dogs, only one got a mammary tumor, it was removed and there were no further issues.
Hermione - Ch Soundtrack Spellbound RN HH
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith
Pumpkin - Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins HH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box

Last edited by Soundtrack; 03-29-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Soundtrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzhotpeppers View Post

I'm leaning heavily toward trusting our breeders advice given that Bassets have such specific and complex health needs and risk factors.

From me - GO WITH THE ADVICE OF THE BREEDER!! Actually with the exception of one who started cycling every 5 months and wasn't really up to scratch for my breeding programme and so she was spayed at around 2+ (despite there being enough evidence to have persuaded me that the longer a bitch remained entire, the more the chance of a female cancer/pyo occurring) ours weren't normally spayed until they were older and retired. We did only have one with mammary cancer tho. (like 'Soundtrack' eh) but our girl was in her 13th year and we elected to euth. once it was obvious her down days were outnumbering her up days. Surgery wasn't an option for her.

I'd not spay until the growth plates have closed - having taken my Whippet in, at around 6 months, to be spayed, I was warned about bone development problems + spay incontinence if done at that age. He wanted me to allow one season before spaying. I agreed but as there was no sign of a season by around 11 months, having an elderly and unwell entire male Basset around at the time, I asked my then vet to go ahead.

There's also whether you can keep your bitch confined through her first season!!

Up to you of course, but I'd be advised by her breeder.

Last edited by FranksMum; Yesterday at 12:15 PM. Reason: Tidy up grammar/punctuation!!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

We're going to take the advice of both yourselves and the breeder. I guess wait until around 2 years old.
We've had an intact female before so we know the drill on keeping her safe. Our property setup lends itself to that not being too difficult of a proposition.

Appreciate the replies

nzhotpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement