When to neuter ? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default When to neuter ?

I have a male Basset hound puppy. I intend to have him neutered. My question is - at what age should I have him neutered?
santol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

why? from a health and behavioral prospective it is generally better to leave males intact.

https://www.americanveterinarian.com...tact-male-dogs

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ed-or-neutered

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
"On the positive side, neutering male dogs
• eliminates the small risk (probably <1%) of dying from testicular cancer
• reduces the risk of non-cancerous prostate disorders
• reduces the risk of perianal fistulas
• may possibly reduce the risk of diabetes (data inconclusive)
On the negative side, neutering male dogs
• if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a
common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.
• increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6
• triples the risk of hypothyroidism
• increases the risk of progressive geriatric cognitive impairment
• triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems
• quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer
• doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers
• increases the risk of orthopedic disorders
• increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations"

The biggest risk factors associated with being left intact are general more a lack of management with free roaming dogs. So what is being picked up is negligent owners are more likely to have intact dogs and tends to skew the numbers on roaming/hit by car etc toward neutering but these are completely in the control of the owner to prevent.

That said if you do nueter not until after 2 year of age
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

There are plenty of arguments on both sides, and I've read many of them. I don't want to get into a debate about whether to neuter. I simply want advice as to what age to do it.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by santol View Post
I have a male Basset hound puppy. I intend to have him neutered. My question is - at what age should I have him neutered?

I saw this heading and had to pile in. When? NEVER. Unless there's medical need (eg retained testicle). This breed should be soft enough without needing to be castrated, which however 'minor' is still surgery with a general anaesthetic. We had to have two oldies done and although this was for a medical reason (prostate flare-ups), I bitterly regretted having to have it done. They both lost any zip they had (which at their age, wasn't much!), tended to grow a heavier coats and put on weight unless closely watched.

I don't know the reason you have for thinking about doing this, but please don't, if it's not for medical need. And certainly NOT until the hound is well over 1 year. The hound must have achieved as much maturity as possible - and these are often not mature physically, until at least 2 years. Castration should never be seen as a replacement for training and proper containment. It only prevents unwanted litters of puppies, which shouldn't ever happen in any case. We had entire males with entire bitches, and NO unplanned litters.

I won't tell you otherwise.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

My vet said around 8-9 months when I asked him last week. I plan to neuter as well.
Shanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna View Post
My vet said around 8-9 months when I asked him last week. I plan to neuter as well.

With the greatest respect (almost), your vet IS WRONG. At the very least, the GROWTH PLATES have to have closed, and you must give a puppy, Basset or not, time to grow up. And in the Basset male especially, this may not happen until he's at least 2 years. I've seen the result of one sired by one of my hounds, castrated at 7 months. He stayed a 'silly puppy' for the rest of his life and believe me, that was a nightmare. Unless there's a physical/medical need (eg retained testicles, and even then it can be left to over a year), PLEASE DO NOT CASTRATE YOUR BASSET. You will regret it.

Castration is not a remedy for bad behaviour - the only 'for sure' with this surgery is no puppies, which again, if the hound is properly contained, will never happen.

Vets who advise this are (all too often!) after INCOME, unless it's for medical need.

Last edited by FranksMum; 03-16-2019 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna View Post

With the greatest respect (almost), your vet IS WRONG. At the very least, the GROWTH PLATES have to have closed, and you must give a puppy, Basset or not, time to grow up. And in the Basset male especially, this may not happen until he's at least 2 years. I've seen the result of one sired by one of my hounds, castrated at 7 months. He stayed a 'silly puppy' for the rest of his life and believe me, that was a nightmare. Unless there's a physical/medical need (eg retained testicles, and even then it can be left to over a year), PLEASE DO NOT CASTRATE YOUR BASSET. You will regret it.

Castration is not a remedy for bad behaviour - the only 'for sure' with this surgery is no puppies, which again, if the hound is properly contained, will never happen.

Vets who advise this are after INCOME, unless it's for medical need.
Respectfully (sort of), we will agree to disagree.
Shanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Vets who advise this are after INCOME, unless it's for medical need.

This is why I asked you not to respond to posts or questions I may have. I always enjoy it when people try to pass themselves off as experts and it is perfectly obvious - to put it mildly - they are not.

If you knew anything about my vet, you would know he is not in it for "income." So, don't try to tell us that you know more than vets know and I'll thank you not to respond in posts I submit again - ever.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by santol View Post
This is why I asked you not to respond to posts or questions I may have. I always enjoy it when people try to pass themselves off as experts and it is perfectly obvious - to put it mildly - they are not.

If you knew anything about my vet, you would know he is not in it for "income." So, don't try to tell us that you know more than vets know and I'll thank you not to respond in posts I submit again - ever.

Oh now I remember who you are and, if I continue to remember when I come on here, I'll be very happy not to answer your questions EVER AGAIN. *

Just to add I have had Bassets since 1972, on two continents, as pets, showing, breeding and judging. If that doesn't mean I have gained some knowledge of the breed, I don't know what does. I'm not passing myself off (RUDE) as anything (I don't need to). I just know I know a thing or two about this breed and that all too often vets only know about THEORY. I do agree that, obviously, I don't know your particular vet however, or what is his motivation....... Or what is his EXPERIENCE with the Basset either. I do wonder why, if you/your know it all (re Bassets specifically) and somebody who has been in the breed for as long as I have, doesn't, why you bothered to ask a question like this in the first place.

DO NOT NEUTER BEFORE A YEAR, AFTER THE GROWTH PLATES HAVE CLOSED - IF IT'S NECESSARY AT ALL.

ps This is a public forum and anybody is entitled to add a comment/offer advice (free!) within the Rs and Rs of the forum. If you don't like, move on. Thinking more about this neutering or not question .... and because more than just you read comments on this forum *, I would be interested to know for what reason, other than medical?, your vet feels your puppy needs castration which is surgery with a general anaesthetic and the recovery afterwards (albeit not as significant as when a bitch is spayed). Unless you have to neuter where you live? It is a fact that in maybe all too many cases, vets do make a nice living out of neutering dogs - often for no other good reason than bringing in income. Having been there and done that, for medical need with two oldies, I bitterly regretted having to have it done because both hounds lost their previous zip, and more. It would be a pity to reduce what should be a noble hound to being a silly puppy all his life.

Last edited by FranksMum; 03-16-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll be very happy not to answer your questions EVER AGAIN.

Good. Keep it that way and there will be no need for further animosity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement