Temporary limper - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Buttercup
Default Temporary limper

So my pretty little angel baby in that avatar... is 11!?!! How did that happen?! Yesterday, around lunchtime she went downstairs to potty & was limping on her right hind leg. We didn’t see or hear a wreck at the bottom of the stairs, not even a whimper or a whine. We kept her quiet in bed or kennel all day & packed her up/down to potty. Gave her 1/2 a “vintage” rimadyl (desperate times... expired meds) around dinner as she was still limping. 330am she whined in her kennel so I left her out & low & behold she wasn’t limping!! Kept her quiet in bed & sleeping beauty is still snoring so I’m not sure what our plan should be. Even though she hates it & flops down like a fainting goat (& I might need the other 1/2 of rimadyl) we’ll keep packing her up/downstairs. Should I keep giving rimadyl in case she’s got a little swelling I can’t see? Vet apt no matter what? FYI: She’s a petite 40 lber with great body mechanics up/downstairs. Perfectly straight back line & no furniture allowed. Thanks in advance basset hound friends!!
Princess Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Buttercup

PS: I’ve been locked out of my account for so long & unable to post/comment. Then in the most perfect timing the admins fixed it for me this morning! Here’s an updated photo of said angel baby.
Attached Thumbnails
Temporary limper-e1f62cd8-8343-4d91-95be-242bbcf2144e_1551118994266.jpg  
Princess Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
So my pretty little angel baby in that avatar... is 11!?!! How did that happen?! Yesterday, around lunchtime she went downstairs to potty & was limping on her right hind leg. We didn’t see or hear a wreck at the bottom of the stairs, not even a whimper or a whine. We kept her quiet in bed or kennel all day & packed her up/down to potty. Gave her 1/2 a “vintage” rimadyl (desperate times... expired meds) around dinner as she was still limping. 330am she whined in her kennel so I left her out & low & behold she wasn’t limping!! Kept her quiet in bed & sleeping beauty is still snoring so I’m not sure what our plan should be. Even though she hates it & flops down like a fainting goat (& I might need the other 1/2 of rimadyl) we’ll keep packing her up/downstairs. Should I keep giving rimadyl in case she’s got a little swelling I can’t see? Vet apt no matter what? FYI: She’s a petite 40 lber with great body mechanics up/downstairs. Perfectly straight back line & no furniture allowed. Thanks in advance basset hound friends!!

I'd crate rest, for now but really you should have your vet take a look, and prescribe as needed (with utd meds!!). Does she NEED to be using stairs - could you perhaps sort out a ramp if she does? Even at only 40 lbs, you can't be lifting her up all the time or, like me, you'lll wreck your back!!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

without a medical exam impossible to say what it is and the right course of action. ie soft tissue injury crate rest minimium 14 days. Arthritis. anti-inf amatory =, joint lubrication like HA( hyaluronic acid) , Patellar luxation any where from surgery to doing nothing depending on severity, CCl tear complete or incomplete. CCL do not repair themselves eventual it will be a full tear but you can manage partial tears till it is more appropriate to do surgery. Structural alignment issue that can be helped with chiropractic care
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement