Stinky feet - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stinky feet

Sorry, this is gonna be long 🙄

Roofer, our 10 year old, went to the vet 3 weeks ago with what we thought were allergies on his feet. Vet suggested we change his food from grain free chicken back the beef we’ve always used so we did. We scheduled him for a dental and they put him on a low dose antibiotic to prep. Did his dental the following week and they had to pull a tooth so they put him on cephlex for 10 days. A couple days after the dental his back legs were giving out so back we go to the vet. He has the typical back problems and the vet thought that when he was under everything loosened up and was causing issues. More pain meds and a steroid shot because he’s still licking all 4 paws constantly.

This last week went by and he slowed down a bit in the licking when we’re home, but the camera didn’t lie when we weren’t. We came home last night and the smell in the house was the worst hound smell we’ve ever had. Pretty definite it’s his paws. We figure yeast infection due to the licking and 3 weeks of antibiotics, although he’s never had one so we aren’t sure. We can’t get in to see the vet until Monday. Anything we can do to help him and to get the stink off of everything? You can barely walk into a room where he’s been laying on the couch or his bed.
Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofer View Post
Sorry, this is gonna be long ��

Roofer, our 10 year old, went to the vet 3 weeks ago with what we thought were allergies on his feet. Vet suggested we change his food from grain free chicken back the beef we’ve always used so we did. We scheduled him for a dental and they put him on a low dose antibiotic to prep. Did his dental the following week and they had to pull a tooth so they put him on cephlex for 10 days. A couple days after the dental his back legs were giving out so back we go to the vet. He has the typical back problems and the vet thought that when he was under everything loosened up and was causing issues. More pain meds and a steroid shot because he’s still licking all 4 paws constantly.

This last week went by and he slowed down a bit in the licking when we’re home, but the camera didn’t lie when we weren’t. We came home last night and the smell in the house was the worst hound smell we’ve ever had. Pretty definite it’s his paws. We figure yeast infection due to the licking and 3 weeks of antibiotics, although he’s never had one so we aren’t sure. We can’t get in to see the vet until Monday. Anything we can do to help him and to get the stink off of everything? You can barely walk into a room where he’s been laying on the couch or his bed.

I may be way off the track here, but when I take mine in and know they will be having a g/a, I ALWAYS warn them NOT to lift mine by their legs . All too often I see vet nurses lift them off the operating table, still unconscious by their legs. It could be nothing to do with what's going on but it's worth considering. I ask now because I had one in for surgery which needed a g/a and he was the same for some days afterwards.

Most nasty niffs are mouth (dental but that's presumably fixed), ears or anal glands. 3 weeks of antibiotics shouldn't CAUSE him to lick his paws. It's the wrong time of year, but when we've had this going on, ten to one it's Harvest Mites - check between the toes right up to the foot and see if there are any signs of tiny red critters there. These do itch like mad causing licking which in turn, causes smell.

Diluted Hibiscrub to bath the feet??
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Weíve looked real close with a flashlight and havenít seen any bugs, but weíll start looking more closely for them going forward. Thank you for the tip.

Could be heís allergic to our new yard (Bermuda) and he can go in/out as he pleases. Then he just licked his way to the problem. All we know is the smell he leaves behind is way worse than if heís been sunbathing on a hot day. This morning he could barely walk on his front paws they were so sore as well. Good news is his back seems much better.

We just gave him a good bath with mild soap. Then we poured some diluted apple cider vinegar over him and soaked his paws for a minute each in some diluted vinegar/hydrogen peroxide. Dried him off with a blow dryer afterwards making sure his paws were good and dry. He didnít struggle or complain once. Unfortunately itís snowing again and his paws continue to get wet which is not helping.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

>> Unfortunately itís snowing again

Does he walk anywhere there could be salt/de-icer on the ground?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Father to: Barbie (The Blind Basset), Lilly and Sherlock
HoundDad_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDad_11 View Post
>> Unfortunately itís snowing again

Does he walk anywhere there could be salt/de-icer on the ground?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No. We donít use any chemicals or salt. Itís snowed a few times, butís itís been unseasonably wet this winter as well. Usually we donít get any moisture for months on end and the humidity hovers in the 20% range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

yeast infection between the toes in very common in the breed. Generally speaking a racid oil type spell. corn chips etc is a yeast infection.

Smell like rotten fish is bacterial or anal glands.

Yeast infections are general extremely itchy as well Yeast infection try frequent bathing in antifungal shampoo for dogs containing Miconazole or Ketoconazole. If bacterial infection Chlorhexadine shampoo or one that contains benzyol Peroxide , if you suspect both the Ketohexadine shampoo that contains both Ketoconazole and chlorhexidine.

Can not even begin to deodorize the house until you get the source of the problem on the dog under control.

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com...es-proceedings

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/...2175&pid=11181

https://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvet...therapies-6722

https://www.petmd.com/dog/general-he...logy_nightmare
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Re replacing nasty niffs with nice ones, I have usually used a so-called 'Medicated shampoo' which leaves a nice scent around the place. Be careful with the often recommended Malaseb shampoo (for yeasty problems). It has always made my hounds' skin very red and irritated and for that reason, prefer to use DermOpt (UK) which seems to be more gentle.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

We appreciate all the advice. The bath and soak we gave him helped a lot with the smell. We have an apt with the vet again this morning to verify the issue. Iím just ready to see him be more energetic and walking without limping again.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Got back from the vet. Yeast infection. They gave us some oral meds and some wipes to use 4 times a day. We go back Friday for a checkup.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

IF you can prevent licking , Athelete foot powder or cream. will help
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement