Rough Play - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rough Play

Hello Friends,
I have 2 hounds, Lucy is 16 months and Frank is 8 months. They are bff's and always together. They play rough house every day and occasionally it gets rough enough it sounds like a real dog fight. Sometimes they scrap over food, or even the perception of food. But today Frank ended up with a bloody ear. They were fighting over a stupid nut, of all things, that one of them brought in from the yard. (And as we all know, the nut will be revisited tonight about 3am when somebody throws it up.) It's a pretty good cut that I had to hold for a bit to stop the bleeding. I'm getting a little concerned about their behavior, mostly Lucy as she is the aggressor. So guys, what are your thoughts? Neither is aggressive with us, just each other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Pharmdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2019, 05:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you know what triggers these spats, AVOID/PREVENT! Feed them separated and don't let them back together until each has finished or walked away from the bowl. Once I started getting bloody ears (and boy can they bleed) then I have to get serious about stopping this behaviour. She's putting him in his place, but the bottom line is YOU should be controlling what's going on. You should see the body language (big time!) and be ready to step in. Playing is one thing, but undue aggression quite another. Correct the puppy, I suggest, if he won't listen to her.

ps When/if we've had ear cuts we have often had to have our vet repair the cut using surgical glue so there's little to no scar.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Super Glue works well for fixing ears without the trip/experience of a vet visit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Father to: Barbie (The Blind Basset), Lilly and Sherlock
HoundDad_11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Frank's Mum, thanks for your reply. I do feed them separately and pick up bowls right after they finish. But they will get into it over guarding food on the kitchen counter or a stick they find in the yard. I will just have to be more aware of the body language as you say, and try to head it off. Lucy is definitely the queen bee and wants him to know it. But they are also very affectionate with one another and will play for long periods with no fighting. Sounds just like my children! I did put some liquid bandage on the ear since its impossible to keep anything on it. I am a little worried about it getting infected since it drags the ground constantly. Thanks again for sharing your wealth of experience

Old 02-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDad_11 View Post
Super Glue works well for fixing ears without the trip/experience of a vet visit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I have medical glue available through my work, but I have used super glue too!

Old 02-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmdog View Post
Frank's Mum, thanks for your reply. I do feed them separately and pick up bowls right after they finish. But they will get into it over guarding food on the kitchen counter or a stick they find in the yard. I will just have to be more aware of the body language as you say, and try to head it off. Lucy is definitely the queen bee and wants him to know it. But they are also very affectionate with one another and will play for long periods with no fighting. Sounds just like my children! I did put some liquid bandage on the ear since its impossible to keep anything on it. I am a little worried about it getting infected since it drags the ground constantly. Thanks again for sharing your wealth of experience

You are very welcome Pharmdog. In view of the risk of infection, given how their ears can trail on the ground, it might be as well to have your vet do the glue-mend and see if he needs a short course of a/bs to cover any infection risk? Yes you could wipe it to keep it clean, but that might undo any mending.....!!

Has your bitch been spayed?
Old 02-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
You are very welcome Pharmdog. In view of the risk of infection, given how their ears can trail on the ground, it might be as well to have your vet do the glue-mend and see if he needs a short course of a/bs to cover any infection risk? Yes you could wipe it to keep it clean, but that might undo any mending.....!!

Has your bitch been spayed?
I am thinking about taking him in because the vet can manage him better to get a thorough cleaning and remend. And I don't want him to have a nasty scar where the hair won't grow back. Yes, Lucy is spayed.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmdog View Post
I am thinking about taking him in because the vet can manage him better to get a thorough cleaning and remend. And I don't want him to have a nasty scar where the hair won't grow back. Yes, Lucy is spayed.

I think you are wise (taking him in). Good job re the spay situation .... mind you, from my experience, in some ways it's good she is putting him in his place as all too often with my spayed girls (done on retirement so at around 6 or 7 years) they tended not to tell the boys off if they got silly with them and nobody makes the boys listen better than the bitch!! If they have any sense that is. Perhaps this more serious wound WILL make your puppy take note and respect her better

As said, when one of mine had a nasty wound glued, my vet was so good at doing this that she had no scar at all once it was healed and the fur grown back. I was very impressed.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Unhappy Rough Play Here Too!!!

Hello Pharmdog;
Well we have the same situation with our two hounds. However, it is not over food but toys and even at that our 8 month old pup Violet is the aggressor and she is younger; the rough play towards Beau who is now 13 months. Our female is always snapping, nipping and rough playing with our lazy boy Beau, and when he has enough he will chase her around the house and play like it is a dog fight to the death. We don't know what to do now. Before she was able to get to him on the sofa it was his place of zen from our feisty female. Then she grew a bit more and was able to reach him and we've all had no peace. Vet said she is in between her toddler stage and teenage phase and will out grow this. I keep on her to stop and try and work with her to be a kind puppy but she is a very playful pup. Vet said she is the runt of the pack and may have a Napoleon complex too. Now that's hilarious. I wish you well and we are praying this phase ends soon and we get our sweet girl back on track.
kima719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Here's Violet chasing Beau to the sofa. He tries to get back as far as he can from her. She can now jump up and get him. 😯😕
Attached Thumbnails
Rough Play-20181006_085949_1550445739908.jpg  
kima719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement