Approx. How Much Does a Basset Cost a Year? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Approx. How Much Does a Basset Cost a Year?

Hello!

My husband and I are carefully considering adding a Basset Hound to our family. We currently have 3 cats, but no dogs. I have been running over the pros and cons of adding a puppy to our family and was curious how much this breed would cost. I don’t mean for the adoption fee, but expenses for food, vet expenses, etc. Are medical emergencies common in this breed? I realize this varies from dog to dog, but would love to hear what all your experiences have been. I’m looking to get a female that would probably weigh in the 60 lb range.

Thanks!
Tiffanymaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Having lots of loose skin and folds, bassets are susceptible to yeast infections. Keeping these areas clean and dry is important. Likewise for inside the ear canals, so expect regular cleaning.

Their distinctive droopy eyes are another area to watch for. Sometimes the bottom lid turns inward towards the eye, causing constant irritation and inflammation. This can be fixed by surgery if necessary.

These are the two issues distinct to loose skin breeds, and are minor IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffanymaree View Post
Are medical emergencies common in this breed? I realize this varies from dog to dog, but would love to hear what all your experiences have been. I’m looking to get a female that would probably weigh in the 60 lb range.

The first advice I can give you, not knowing where in the world you are, is to locate a known reputable and experienced breeder. Not necessarily living close because it's worth travelling to locate such a breeder with a puppy available. Go via the relevant Breed Club. The American BHC has breeders listed by area/state (last time I looked). Ditto for the Canadian BHC. ALL the pre-buying questions you will have should be asked of them, when you go vist. Do try to look at the ADULTS - if you can get past looking at a baby Basset

The one medical emergency with this breed is GDV (Bloat with torsion). There is some suggestion that this can run in bloodlines. I know it does in some bloodlines in the UK. Cancer is there too, and is genetic to some extent, but that's not unique to the Basset.

Otherwise if you buy from a reputable breeder, your vet trips should be no more than the basics - vaccination/boosters, and health checks (dentals).

Good luck but be warned .......... ONE IS NEVER ENOUGH!! Oh and in that, if you work away from home, you should be aware that the Basset does not do well living a solitary life. In fact, in my book, for any pack hound, they hate being lonely.

Add - " Sometimes the bottom lid turns inward towards the eye" I'd suggest it's more usual for the lower eyelid to droop - turn out. It's the upper lid that can turn inward, irritating the eye and occasionally needing corrective surgery. This comes under the heading of 'excessive' - too much wrinkle.

Last edited by FranksMum; 02-16-2019 at 05:07 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2019, 06:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
The first advice I can give you, not knowing where in the world you are, is to locate a known reputable and experienced breeder. Not necessarily living close because it's worth travelling to locate such a breeder with a puppy available. Go via the relevant Breed Club. The American BHC has breeders listed by area/state (last time I looked). Ditto for the Canadian BHC. ALL the pre-buying questions you will have should be asked of them, when you go vist. Do try to look at the ADULTS - if you can get past looking at a baby Basset

The one medical emergency with this breed is GDV (Bloat with torsion). There is some suggestion that this can run in bloodlines. I know it does in some bloodlines in the UK. Cancer is there too, and is genetic to some extent, but that's not unique to the Basset.

Otherwise if you buy from a reputable breeder, your vet trips should be no more than the basics - vaccination/boosters, and health checks (dentals).

Good luck but be warned .......... ONE IS NEVER ENOUGH!! Oh and in that, if you work away from home, you should be aware that the Basset does not do well living a solitary life. In fact, in my book, for any pack hound, they hate being lonely.

Add - " Sometimes the bottom lid turns inward towards the eye" I'd suggest it's more usual for the lower eyelid to droop - turn out. It's the upper lid that can turn inward, irritating the eye and occasionally needing corrective surgery. This comes under the heading of 'excessive' - too much wrinkle.

No. Itís the lower lid that is the issue. The weight of the loose skin pulls it down and it sometimes curls back in.

My first basset had the issue. My second was borderline so we left it alone. They were from different breeders.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
No. Itís the lower lid that is the issue. The weight of the loose skin pulls it down and it sometimes curls back in.

Strange that we've never had this happen, in ANY of our many hounds, but then maybe, we didn't have 'excessive' skin
Old 02-17-2019, 05:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
Strange that we've never had this happen, in ANY of our many hounds, but then maybe, we didn't have 'excessive' skin

You being one breeder out of many, itís of little surprise. What is surprising that you, being a breeder, being unaware of this.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
You being one breeder out of many, it’s of little surprise. What is surprising that you, being a breeder, being unaware of this.

Woah! Of course I'm 'aware' of the various problems with Basset eyes, it's just that I have never had this problem like this, with any of mine. I'm sure you realise that sarcasm in the lowest form of wit.

Ectropion in Dogs: What's Wrong With My Dog's Eyes?
THIS is how my hounds' eyes, lower lid have looked - no 'curling back' is going on.

On the other hand entropion, the curling in of the top lid, is seen in the breed but usually only if there's an over-abundance of loose skin.

Ex-breeder, now retired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement