Senior not getting used to puppy - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Senior not getting used to puppy

Our 10 year old basset snaps at the basset puppy (12 weeks old) we have since 3 1/2 weeks and is still ignoring and avoiding him as much as possible. Does anybody have had similar experiences?
Puppy is mostly in his playpen or in the garden. Always supervised when with our senior.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Hoagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 02:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagy View Post
Our 10 year old basset snaps at the basset puppy (12 weeks old) we have since 3 1/2 weeks and is still ignoring and avoiding him as much as possible. Does anybody have had similar experiences?
Puppy is mostly in his playpen or in the garden. Always supervised when with our senior.

Yes my basset Molly did this when I bought a dautshund 9 years ago. Molly is 12 now and still not fussed over her but my daushund loves her a basset thing I guess

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Sally01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Until your older Basset sees YOU are correcting the puppy if he gets too full on with him, he will continue to do this. Once he sees you in charge, he should, hopefully start to settle down and accept his new companion. Bassets usually enjoy the company of other canines, especially those of the same breed. Don't ever correctl him for defending himself - adults know all too well that puppy teeth HURT. And he may well not feel like playing with the puppy on some days. Hopefully this will resolve itself, in time.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Senior does not play, with no one. He just gets exited for pets, when we come home, walks, and food, and dances. Puppy seems not to learn anything from him right now, correcting him to back off,- hes overexcited and loves senior even when he is almost eaten by him. Which we want to avoid of course

Hoagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement