Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2019, 03:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis

Hi everybody. I have been meaning to post something since I started receiving weekly email updates. Unfortunately we had a veterinary emergency today with my guy Harvey, who has been trucking along pretty nicely for nearly 11 years. Background, Harvey hails from north central Missouri, I believe the breeder gentleman is Jim ______. I figure he's here or someone knows of him.

Sudden onset of diarrhea with blood on our walk this morning. Took a stool sample to the vet midday and it was negative for parasites. By late afternoon this had morphed into buckets of all blood diarrhea and just blood leaking out of him. Brought Harvey to the vet and by the time he was seen he was shockey. Fortunately my regular vet was there late (Wednesday is surgeries) as was a very capable vet tech with whom I volunteer at a monthly free spay/neuter clinic. We got him to come around with iv fluids and started pumping him full of antibiotics and anti nausea and anti diarrhea meds. His labs are all basically normal but for high RBC and low albumen, which are a function of his blood loss. He is in the hospital overnight. Hope he makes it.

Doc thinks it is due to clostridium infection although she did not see it in his fecal or blood samples. Doubt it is chemical poisoning as we always leash walk Harvey when he's not in the yard, plus his liver and kidney work is fine.

Didn't see this coming at all. Harvey is tough. He has idiopathic megaesophagus even though he has no trouble eating but is susceptible to pneumonia due to occasional regurg/aspiration issues.

Here he is two years ago. When I re-figure out how to post images I'll add better pics. I stopped using photobucket a long time ago and the process seems a little different now from cloud storage.

Hope to have better news tomorrow.

~ Art
Attached Thumbnails
Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis-img_3102.jpg  

Last edited by Houndsong; 01-31-2019 at 04:06 AM. Reason: clarity
Houndsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

for what it worth HGE has no Known cause though there is a significant link to stress.

Provided fluids are provided soon enough the recovery rate is very high.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you, Mike. Sadly, Harvey didn't make it. He died overnight. We went in to see him this morning and got some time alone with him. He simply bled to death. I was hoping for the best but last night I was also accepting of the fact he might not see us again. It just saddens me that he was alone, but it was the only way to ensure he would get the iv fluids he would need.

Since there was no apparent cause from his blood/fecal exams and history, I asked that they do an autopsy of sorts to see if there was anything obviously remiss internally, like a tumor or some foreign body. From onset to getting the news this morning was less than 24 hours and the whole thing came out of nowhere and proceeded very rapidly.

I don't know if anyone saw it but when I got up this morning around 6:30 here in Hilo, Venus was sitting right on the tip of the crescent moon, and I could see also see Jupiter (or maybe it was Antares) on the arc. My immediate thought was that the bright star on the moon was Harvey. It is eerie but when my last Basset died over ten years ago (hit by a car I'm ashamed to admit) within days I woke at night to see a very bright beam of light shining through the window. I thought it was the moon but it was a star, and it turned out to be Saturn (iirc), which I can't recall seeing like that before or since. I had the same impression as this morning, that it was my dog. Silly, yes, but somehow comforting.
Houndsong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm so sorry for you - I don't know whether knowing what lies ahead makes these losses any better/easier to take than a sudden collapse does. And as for the celestial involvement in these sad losses, who is to say whether you are imagining this, or not. There's a lot out there that we don't understand and the bottom line is if it gives you comfort it doesn't matter what's fact, or not!

I hope you find out what caused this sudden collapse, if only to give you closure.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh gosh, how terrible. I'm so sorry to hear that Harvey didn't make it. I like to think there will be a new star shining down tonight.
Barbara E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

So sorry for your loss. You will be in our thoughts and prays.
Advertisement