Driving Home with New Puppy - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Driving Home with New Puppy

Hi! We are getting a new puppy and will have a long 12-13 hour drive home. Does anyone have any advice/tips/tricks to hopefully make this somewhat pleasant for everyone? There will be two of us along with the puppy. Thanks!
Shanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Remember that all of the needs the puppy would have at home are the same ones it will have on the road: food, water, warmth, and a means to “go”. Prepare for those, and the chance your puppy has an “accident”, i.e. cleanup supplies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Plan to stop often so the little guy can "exercise". For his safety I would keep him in a crate. That way if you were to get into an accident he won't get loose and possibly hit buy another vehicle. Also secure the crate so it won't go flying if you do a panic stop.

The last time we transported a puppy my wife sat in the backseat with the crate next to her so the puppy could see her (I think my wife would reach through the crate bars and pet the puppy too).

Father to: Barbie (The Blind Basset), Lilly and Sherlock
HoundDad_11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2019, 03:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna View Post
Hi! We are getting a new puppy and will have a long 12-13 hour drive home. Does anyone have any advice/tips/tricks to hopefully make this somewhat pleasant for everyone? There will be two of us along with the puppy. Thanks!

OK. First off, can you go there the day before and stay overnight so you can pick up your new puppy early and be on the road back. Secondly the biggest problem you have is, unless the puppy has had vaccination shots, not being able to safely put him on the ground to empty. Two ways to deal with that is to have the breeder hold onto the puppy long enough for him/her to have all the shots before travelling. Or take enough gear with you to clean up mess (he won't be able to hold for that long) and replace bedding.

Definitely use a crate - far safer and he's not going to sit on anybody's lap for that long - he may well upchuck as well as anything else!! And in that, get the breeder to only feed a half measure breakfast. You may well have to be offering him food during that 10 -12 hour period, and water (more so). If you use a crate, and have a car where the back seats split, somebody should be able to travel alongside the puppy in crate, to watch what's going on, and keep him calm.

We did a journey like that when mating one of our bitches but never that far with a puppy. So good luck.

Last edited by FranksMum; 01-25-2019 at 03:58 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Once your puppy gets a little older start taking him for rides on a regular basis. All of our bassets (had bassets since 1974) love riding in the car. We have a cottage in northeast Wisconsin and they sleep the entire 6 hour ride each way. They get all excited if they see one of us grab the keys as they know that means a possible car ride. This works out well when it's time to go the vet since all they care is they are going for a ride. It doesn't matter if it's to the dog park or vet, a ride is a ride.

Father to: Barbie (The Blind Basset), Lilly and Sherlock
HoundDad_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Drive fast! Seriously, my pup was more like three months when I got him and though I stopped several times during an ~ 12 drive it was mainly for my comfort. The dog got out and sniffed but held everything the whole way!
Houndsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

12 hours drive is a very long trip for a puppy, you should prepare all the dog supplies (a little food, water, and crate with pee pads). If it will ride by your private car, let him release the bladder each 2-4 hours. However, some Uber drivers could refuse the passenger who carries a dog without a crate or carrier. So, if you will pick up your dog by Uber or Lyft, keep it in the crate or carrier and allow it to stretch the legs every 3 hours. Here are other tips to take Uber with your dog
Also, some of the puppies might have car sickness, ask your vet and prepare certain medicines or remedy. My friend said his dog also had car sickness and has recovered by a period of training without medication.
Huge Rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement