Maximum Temperatures a Basset Can bear - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
rrl

Question Maximum Temperatures a Basset Can bear

I have a new neighbor that brougnt a 9 month old basset. She keeps him most of the time outside because she works like 10 hours per day. The weather now is at below zero temperatures and all the dog has for protection is a dog house that does not offer more than rain cover. I had a conversation with her and she says she had a basset in the past and she always kept him outside in the extreme cold or heat and he was OK. I myself had a basset in the past and kept him inside in the extreme cold or heat. I don't know if a basset can stand those extreme temperatures for so many hours. What is the maximum cold or heat temperature a basset could stand? I also thought this neighbor is not taking care of her bassett properly as regards where she keeps him when she is not at home and I consulted the local Animal Protection authorities. They responded that so long as the dog has shelter and food, he is in good condition, legally speaking so there isn't much I could do. But if I insist they would investigate this dog and family.
I wonder if a dog house is enough shelter for this basset.
Can anyone give me an opinion of what you would do? I wouldn't like to hear this dog died because of weather conditions but I also don't like interfering and meddling with other people's lives, especially if they are neighbors.

Last edited by rrl; 01-19-2019 at 02:43 PM.
rrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

My bassett is in my home whatever I didn't buy her to put her outside she is my pet I love her she has been by my side 12 years and I work 10 hour days to pay her vet bills as she is old now never would she be anywhere but in my house. Most wonderful companion I could ever have wished for.
I find what she is doing is disgusting and feel the dog needs to be part of a family

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Sally01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

While I appreciate your concern, dogs naturally can bear extreme weather far better than humans. Examples being Siberian huskies dog sledding in Alaska. What gives a basset hound the advantage to withstand the cold is the thick layers of skin they have that acts as insulation through their fat. I recommend that if the dog is not showing any signs of distress, and your local animal control didn’t recognize as an immediate threat, you shouldn’t pursue it further. As some further insight, into I myself have a basset hound and my parents have a shitzu, and my basset is an outside dog and consider my son. The shitzu cannot withstand the cold and my basset can because the shitzu has been an inside dog and his nervous system has been domesticated to controlled temperatures all his life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles Warles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrl View Post
I have a new neighbor that brougnt a 9 month old basset. She keeps him most of the time outside because she works like 10 hours per day. The weather now is at below zero temperatures and all the dog has for protection is a dog house that does not offer more than rain cover. I had a conversation with her and she says she had a basset in the past and she always kept him outside in the extreme cold or heat and he was OK. I myself had a basset in the past and kept him inside in the extreme cold or heat. I don't know if a basset can stand those extreme temperatures for so many hours. What is the maximum cold or heat temperature a basset could stand? I also thought this neighbor is not taking care of her bassett properly as regards where she keeps him when she is not at home and I consulted the local Animal Protection authorities. They responded that so long as the dog has shelter and food, he is in good condition, legally speaking so there isn't much I could do. But if I insist they would investigate this dog and family.
I wonder if a dog house is enough shelter for this basset.
Can anyone give me an opinion of what you would do? I wouldn't like to hear this dog died because of weather conditions but I also don't like interfering and meddling with other people's lives, especially if they are neighbors.
If you get an animal it should be inside. Animal or human it still gets hot and cold. Contact Peta. They can help you better.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
11341johnson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Maximum Temperatures a Basset Can bear

In lieu of not being able to persuade the authorities or neighbour, offer to make his home more resistant to the elements, either by your own hand if you’re good with tools, or with the the help of someone else. This might bring you peace of mind knowing you made his outside stay more comfortable, and may put you and your neighbour on better terms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

** Assuming you mean what's the MINIMUM TEMPERATURE .... ? What a horrible situation to be in, for both you and this poor Basset. Yes, of course he 'could' live out but his kennel, which must be positioned away from the prevailing wind, should have a raised bench in side and plenty of deep litter, or blankets unless he'd pull them out to get wet? Is there any form of cover across the door - it's drafts that can cause problems, for any dog (Huskies apart) when living out - hence having a raised bench to get up on.

Personally keeping a Basset outside alone for hours is as bad as actually being out in the cold. Does he go into the outside kennel or is he standing outside as many do? Do they bring him indoors overnight - is this only happening during the daytime? Would he had a regular supply of ice-free fresh water if the temps. are that low now (doubtful for 10 hours!!). He should be getting extra food to keep him more able to cope with extreme cold.

Bottom line - NO WAY WOULD I WANT A BASSET SPENDING LONG LONELY HOURS OUTSIDE, ESPECIALLY IF THE WEATHER IS VERY COLD! I wonder whether the people he came from have any idea this was going to happen!!! Anything you can do to improve this poor hound's situation should be done. Could you offer to let him out during the 10 hours so he can be INDOORS?

ps For me, if it's too cold for me, it's too cold to leave a Basset standing around outside for. I had a puppy we bred go up with his owners to live in Moose Factory (Canada). BUT he DID NOT LIVE OUT!!!
** The Max. temperature I'd allow a Basset to be living out in would again be if it's too hot for me, it's WAY too hot for my Bassets.

Last edited by FranksMum; 01-20-2019 at 10:32 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

I absolutely agree

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Sally01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
What a horrible situation to be in, for both you and this poor Basset. Yes, of course he 'could' live out but his kennel, which must be positioned away from the prevailing wind, should have a raised bench in side and plenty of deep litter, or blankets unless he'd pull them out to get wet? Is there any form of cover across the door - it's drafts that can cause problems, for any dog (Huskies apart) when living out - hence having a raised bench to get up on.

Personally keeping a Basset outside alone for hours is as bad as actually being out in the cold. Does he go into the outside kennel or is he standing outside as many do? Do they bring him indoors overnight - is this only happening during the daytime? Would he had a regular supply of ice-free fresh water if the temps. are that low now (doubtful for 10 hours!!). He should be getting extra food to keep him more able to cope with extreme cold.

Bottom line - NO WAY WOULD I WANT A BASSET SPENDING LONG LONELY HOURS OUTSIDE, ESPECIALLY IF THE WEATHER IS VERY COLD! I wonder whether the people he came from have any idea this was going to happen!!! Anything you can do to improve this poor hound's situation should be done. Could you offer to let him out during the 10 hours so he can be INDOORS?

ps For me, if it's too cold for me, it's too cold to leave a Basset standing around outside for. I had a puppy we bred go up with his owners to live in Moose Factory (Canada). BUT he DID NOT LIVE OUT!!!
I agree don't get a dog ANY dog and not have proper shelter for it. This is ridiculous. You need to get the police or like I said before call PETA and they can advise you on what to do.

11341johnson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11341johnson3 View Post
I agree don't get a dog ANY dog and not have proper shelter for it. This is ridiculous. You need to get the police or like I said before call PETA and they can advise you on what to do.

PETA will just kill it, like they do with 96% of the animals they take in.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith SHH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins MHE
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box SHH
Harriet - Ch Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Much as I don't like keeping pet dogs outdoors, a dog that lives outside does develop a very thick coat and should be okay as long as he has adequate shelter. I once accidentally fell asleep and left my old guy that I had at the time outside on a bitterly cold Canadian night. I felt terrible, but he was fine, if a little miffed.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith SHH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins MHE
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box SHH
Harriet - Ch Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement