Sudden food aggression - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2019, 06:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sudden food aggression

Hiya, I have a 6 year old basset, rescued at 1yr old, and a rottie x mastiff, they've lived together for 5 years. Never had problems up until a few weeks ago. They've always eaten in the kitchen together, but the last few weeks Bert (basset) goes mental at chops (rottie) when he's finished to make sure he doesn't go near his bowl. Some days though they swap over so it's not consistent. He did have an ear infection when it began, but that's since cleared up and in all other aspects he appears fine and well. Booked in vets next week as I think a check up is worth it, but wondered if anyone had any ways of dealing with this or have encountered this before? Thanks, Jo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
joannacarter1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019, 03:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

The ONLY answer with this, and yes it could be that the ear infection was making him grouchy, is to feed them in separate places and don't let them back together until both have finished and you've picked up the bowls. With our now just two, one (Basset) eats in the kitchen and the other (Whippet) in the living room. He usually finishes first but they don't get to be back together, until I've picked up. And there's NO swapping allowed. When we had numbers, they all had their spot where their bowls went down, and I had to put them down in the same order, calling each name, and in the same place or there'd have been CHAOS. And as we started having oldies, I had to be right there so the younger faster eaters didn't have any chance of piling into what the older shower eaters had.

I end the meals with a biscuit treat so they tend(ed) to stay by their bowls before I pick up, focusing on the treat to come, not on their bowls!!

A vet trip for a checkup might be a good idea.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"Feed them in separate places and don't let them back together until both have finished and you've picked up the bowls. "

could not agree more!!!
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2019, 05:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

We took their bowls away this morning and separated them whilst having breakfast but Bert waited for chops and got his back up and made a bee line for him when they went to go outside. The rest of the day and tea time are fine. I don't understand why it's just at breakfast.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannacarter1986 View Post
We took their bowls away this morning and separated them whilst having breakfast but Bert waited for chops and got his back up and made a bee line for him when they went to go outside. The rest of the day and tea time are fine. I don't understand why it's just at breakfast.

Improvement may not happen immediately. Your Basset need to understand that his current behaviour will not be tolerated! I don't know why this is only happening with breakfast, other than maybe this is when he has max.energy levels. And thinking about why suddenly, could it be that your Basset senses something wrong with your other dog and is pushing the boundaries?

I hope you don't free-feed!! My best advice is watch the body language - anticipate/prevent/avoid. And maybe let Bert out ahead of Chops if this is about going outside now?
Old 01-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

What's free feed? I've booked him in at the vets for tomorrow morning so I'm hoping he's ok physically. I'll keep going with the seperatating at meal times and getting Bert out first then chops. They're currently snuggled up together! Thank you for helping

Old 01-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannacarter1986 View Post
What's free feed?

Free feeding is rather than having set mealtimes, leaving food out all day. Not anything I'd ever do even if possible with numbers. Unlike cats, who snack, dogs do far better having set mealtimes (even if, as with mine, they will anticipate their next mealtime!!).

If they are snuggled together, this clearly is food-resource guarding so again, you'll have to monitor what goes on when food is around. Being a pack animal, quite often Bassets resource guard - in the pack they will defend dwhat they see as their's from their resting places, to food, or anything else 'of value' to them.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ah no we don't do that, they have set meal times and eat it then it's gone and the bowls are cleaned out.
Thank you again for your help, fingers crossed we can get to the bottom of it.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Did anything happen between them before Bert started acting out? Bassets have long memories and he may be still upset about it.

Father to: Barbie (The Blind Basset), Lilly and Sherlock
HoundDad_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Nope, they're always like the best of friends. Berts a particular sort anyway because we rescued him at 1yr so he has his quirks, doesn't like people unless he knows them, But he's never been out of character with chops.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement