Crate Training - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2019, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crate Training

Hi Everyone,

I am sure this issue has been addressed time and time again on this forum, so I apologize for the redundancy, but I wanted to share my personal situation.

First of all, I am in LOVE with our new basset, Morty! We have had him for 5 days now and he has stolen our hearts. (Picture of little sweetie pie is attached!)

He has been fantastic about going potty outside and sleeping in his crate at night. We have put his crate in our bedroom so he can hear us and feel close to us.

Here is our dilemma: I have been off of work for as long as we have had him (Winter Break) so he has had all kinds of attention. Unfortunately, I have to return to work soon. My husband and I both work evenings, and he will have to be left alone. Due to how our schedules line up, he will only be crated long-term for 3 days out of the week, but as the day gets closer, I am beside myself thinking about leaving him alone!

We have been slowly working on crate-training, and since he is still a puppy, I have mostly managed to crate him as he is falling asleep anyways. Today was our first major hiccup. We put him in his crate and left the room. He cried, yelped, barked and whined for a loooooong time. At first I was fine with it, knowing that it is all part of puppy training and he would get over it, but my gosh, he would not stop! We will continue to work on it for the next couple of days, but I wonder if anyone has any advice? Would we be better off sectioning off a room for him (ie bathroom)?

Also, since we work evenings, doggy daycare is not an option. We are fairly new to our neighborhood and while we have met our neighbors, we are not yet on a "can you come let my dog out?" relationship-basis.

Thank you all in advance for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Crate Training-20190103_231834.jpg  
MortyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2019, 04:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

You've only had him for 5 days, first of all. It's too soon to expect him to accept being in a crate, necessarily. However, having said that, crate + being alone could be a problem until he's settled into the routine. Fact is Bassets/hounds don't do well living solitary lives and another fact is in my opinion, no dog should be stuck in a crate for more than 4 hours (adult) and way less for a puppy, other than overnight with their owner THERE.

I think you have a problem because he may get so upset at being alone and in a crate that he'll start to hate his crate which is the last thing you need to happen.

Do you cover the top and sides of the crate? You should, to make a nice snug den.

Secondly - do you have close neighbours because if he goes nuts in his crate of an evening and is within hearing distance, they will be at your door.

So yes, just maybe to avoid the crate shut situation, you may need to puppy-proof a room for him to be in, with the crate, door open. But that won't sort out the being alone thing, much as over time, and if you leave the TV or radio on, playing low, he may get used to this. The first weeks will almost certainly be 'bumpy'.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement