House Training... - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default House Training...

Does anyone have advise for house training a Basset puppy? Our pup is 12 weeks old, but we're having so much trouble getting her to go outside rather than in the house. As soon as we think she's getting it, she leaves puddles (or in het case LARGE puddles) all over the house.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
juanbrackenfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbrackenfell View Post
Does anyone have advise for house training a Basset puppy? Our pup is 12 weeks old, but we're having so much trouble getting her to go outside rather than in the house. As soon as we think she's getting it, she leaves puddles (or in het case LARGE puddles) all over the house.

This is not going to encourage you, but Lucy wasn't consistent at all until 9 months. Now she's perfect, but going through it again with her 6 month old brother. I think bassets dont have good bladder control until at least 6 months. It will get better!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Pharmdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

And treats really helped. The currency of the basset hound!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Pharmdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Are you using a crate to train her?

Father to: Barbie (The Blind Basset), Lilly and Sherlock
HoundDad_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

No do not have a crate.

juanbrackenfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

You don't need a crate for housetraining - we have never used one for this. Just as a safe place to put a puppy when it can't be supervised/nights - nobody can be there 24/7. With housetraining, you are expecting too much at 12 weeks only! This has never been a difficulty for us with our hounds - you take them outside roughly every hour when they are awake. Immediately after a nap (it's the first thing they'll think about), short periods of playing (they will break off, look 'distant', circle - all signs you need to get her out) and after a feed. If she happens to pooh after a meal however, that won't be that meal - digestion in the dog takes roughly 4 hours. Yes it's a ton of work, but the fewer mistakes she has, the faster she'll be learning about being clean indoors. Be consistent/persistent and you will get there. Meanwhile have a thick towel to hand to mop up any mistakes she may have (remembering that her mistakes are generally your mistakes). And do consider whether what she's needing to do might be a medical problem - I had a buy in pup of 8 weeks and she was peeing for England ..... all the time. Yes she had a bladder problem, identified by our vet although treatment for a UTI didn't work and my vet was considering something more going on. At which point I took her back for her breeder to sort out as having nursed the last two of my bloodline through their (different) cancers to the end, I did not need to be looking at more angst, and cost!

To be honest, although mine could easily hold by around 4 months, I tend to believe that when a Basset needs to 'go', it will go unless let out at least every 4 hours, night apart.

DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO USE PEE PADS - these are a hiding to nothing and will only tell your hound it's fine to empty indoors - which it's NOT
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
. I think bassets dont have good bladder control until at least 6 months.
could not agree more. Never seen a basset hound I would consider house trained younger than this.

before you can even begin to house train you must create a schedule of feeding, drinking and elimination that prevent accidents from happening. When it comes to accident a schedule IMHO is crucial and second is the realization that activity creates pee from ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- Housetraining Your Puppy "A 12 wk puppy who is busy playing may need to urinate every 15-20 minutes, whereas a resting puppy might go for an hour, and a sleeping puppy can go 8 hours at night. Activity makes urine! Activity makes urine! Repeat this 10 times, slowly. This is a very important lesson for new puppy owners." with a basset puppy cut those times in 1/2.

Second when not directly actively supervised ie only paying attention to thdog ie not cooking, not talking on the phone, watching tv etc the dog needs to be confined to a small space they will treat as a den. Crates work for this but not the only tool that can be use.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
"DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO USE PEE PADS"
Unless you want a dog that goes in the house. If the finished product is the dog goes in a specific spot located inside the house then pee pads are just fine. any other behavior it is best to avoid them . They severely hamper and slow house training. because to get a house-trained dog the must unlearn using the pad. all the while the dog is confused as why it should not go in the house anymore. Take 3 or 4 times as long to house-train provided they don't completely mess the dog up making house-training nearly impossible.

Last edited by Mikey T; 12-14-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default housebreaking issues

Hello...New to the forum...I have a 4 month old basset named Harper--got her on 11/23...This is my second basset...My 15 year old boy Riley passed away in August....Harper does a LOT outside...pee/poop...She will sleep in her crate from 7PM-6 AM without having to go out...but...after going out and doing everything, she will come in and pee on the floor....She is being treated for a UTI, but this has been going on since Day 1. I use a single command, take her to the same place, and reward with praise and treats...Suggestions? Or do I just need to give her more time?
BassetMomAgain! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassetMomAgain! View Post
Hello...New to the forum...I have a 4 month old basset named Harper--got her on 11/23...This is my second basset...My 15 year old boy Riley passed away in August....Harper does a LOT outside...pee/poop...She will sleep in her crate from 7PM-6 AM without having to go out...but...after going out and doing everything, she will come in and pee on the floor....She is being treated for a UTI, but this has been going on since Day 1. I use a single command, take her to the same place, and reward with praise and treats...Suggestions? Or do I just need to give her more time?

Blimey, she'll hold from 7 pm to 6 am at only 4 months? Mine don't go into their crates until we go to bed, at around 10.30 pm and we are up (well that's the intention Frankie!!) by 7 am. I'd suggest you are leaving her too long crated but I guess if she can and does hold for that length of time, so be it. Making her hold for that long may be why you are seeing what she's doing first thing - going out, emptying and then again coming in. What's going on could be affecting her kidneys.

I would say that although on the odd occasion we do leave them longer, I try not to leave mine for much over 4 hours during the daytime - and mine are 9 (Basset) and 10 (Whippet). I don't expect them to hold, other than overnight, for longer. And obviously I'd not expect a puppy to hold for 4 hours even..... even overnight we get up and let them out once at that young age. My Basset was 4 months when he came to us and initially I gave him the benefit of the doubt and took him out around 3 am. Until I knew he could hold right through.

Add - So your youngster, BassetMomAgain, is being treated for a UTI .... did your vet test her urine because he should have, to confirm a UTI.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement