Separation/house peeing - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Separation/house peeing

We recently rescued a 2 year old basset mix. We've had him about 2 months.

He's become my trusty shadow. Our last basset made it to 16 so i love the company (I work at home).

The problem is this, whenever I leave the room. He has a melt down. And when the wife and I go to church, or a Doc appt, he pees on the living room floor. Actually, sometimes he does it IN FRONT of my wife when I leave the room for more than 20 seconds.

He's been Thru a lot, and I am patient. But I thought of getting him a pee pad for the house. We have thick carpet so it's hard to get rid of the spots. And it's hard for me to vacuum (partially disabled).

I'm afraid a pee pad will tell him it's ok to pee in the house. And my heart breaks bc he gets SOOO scared when I leave.

Any tips? I've owned/been around many dogs my whole life. Never had one get this stressed when I leave.
brithedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2018, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

The pee pad wont fix the underlying issue:
Separation anxiety.

Given you work at home, its unlikely hes spent any real time away from you.

You need to desensitize him gradually. Learn the cues that he recognizes as you leaving and associate them with you not actually leaving. Dogs spend their whole lives watching you and other humans, so things you might not even think are cues really are. Then start leaving him alone, even if its for a few mins, then return. Neither the leaving nor returning should be eventful. No petting, no rewards. Assuring him is reinforcing the behaviour. Consider cutting back on the attention while you are working. Give him a set schedule, walking feeding, playtime.

Gradually increase the time you spend away, ensuring each increase leads to a successful desensitization.

Crate training may also help here, but you have to make sure the crate is viewed as a comfortable den, and not a punishment.

Also, make sure you are taking him for good long walks daily. Youd be surprised what good it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not totally convinced this is true 'separation anxiety' which is often rather 'overworked'. Clearly a lot of what's going on is down to what happened in his previous life - maybe be spent long hours alone which, for a hound especially, is really dire. Even if there's feline company, at least they are not alone. And in a strange place - although he has been with you for 2 months. I'd like to think that over time, once into a routine he learns and understands, all this will become a thing of the past. I realise you have work to do, but if you can build into your day a time that's for him, feeding, exercise, grooming and generally giving him attention, he'll settle down and let you get on with your work. Using a crate may help although be careful because he may not be used to being in one, or even been shut in one for too long.

No pee pad! it might seem to be an answer but you are right - it would be telling him it's fine to empty indoors. I'm afraid you'll have to move him into an area you can wipe up, if necessary, when he's left, without it being a major drama. I'd suspect this is what he's been reduced to doing if left for hours where he used to live. I can tell you that years ago I have to go back to work 3 full days a week. I started coming home mid-day but the travel time meant I was really only with them for 10 mins. before having to go back. More disruption than good. So I covered areas for them to use (I had no close neighbours I could expect to be involved at the time). After I could stop working again, for the longest time when we went out for the evening, they weren't clean - clearly not knowing when we'd be back. It took a long time before that stopped!!

It may not be possible, but for now, when you need to leave the room - can he come with you? So he starts to understand you are not leaving. Also, weather allowing, can he come with you in the car when you have outside the home activities? On another occasion I had to go back to work part time ... our then first hound (6 months) went back to messing when he was otherwise clean by then. I ended up taking him with me and as I worked through the lunch hour(s), the other staff went to be with him in the car. That worked!!

So basically - no pee pad. Set schedule. Good luck! Male Bassets can be 'needy' - more so usually, than the more independent females.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

also when working on the separation issue you need to avoid the problem so maybe take him out first and have him go then into a safe space like a crate.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

this may be helpful
https://www.sfspca.org/sites/default...d-problems.pdf
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks all for these replies. It's been madness trying to respond (iPhone safari can't reply for some reason and my laptop can't sign in rrrr). Only Tapatalk let's me see your replies? Anyways....

I have been trying to get him used to the fact that we do come back :-). I'm usually out of house max 2-3 hrs a week. (I've got a mitochondrial disease). I have a recording studio on property. He usually sits out there with me. I have a feeling I'm his safety blanket.

We do have a cat. She's 13 and not as playful as he'd like lol. But they are slowly hanging out (I bet they get a whole lot closer when it gets colder).

Duke is a great dog. I think once he's confident this is HIS place and we aren't taking him back or leaving him, he'll be ok. He just needs to string together a week or 2.

My studio clients keep saying "he needs a buddy".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brithedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

For an adult dog, potty issue could be caused by many factors, such as a bad habit, separation anxiety, and unawareness of the rules at a new home. You could exclude other factors one by one and treat the possible one. If he has separation anxiety, which may relate to your long companion at home. Then you can learn the treatment of it on google. If the prior owner said he has had this bad habit, you need to spend much time on correcting his potty habit. If he is unaware of the potty spot, you could bring him the same spot each time, if he does his business well, give him some treats and praise. He will gradually understand this spot is his toilet.
Huge Rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithedark View Post
My studio clients keep saying "he needs a buddy".

There's no doubt that one Basset isn't usually enough BUT before you get another, if you do, I'd concentrate on getting this basset settled with you. There's always a possibility that two dogs may not get along, much as this is a breed that thrives in numbers. And there's always the risk that you could end up with two hounds missing YOU!! With our first two, coming to us roughly 10 months apart, the first who did miss us even if he wasn't left alone at home often, continued to miss us while the younger boy got up to all kinds of mischief when we weren't home!!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement