Sweet heart to aggression - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sweet heart to aggression

I have an almost 4 year old basset hound that I have had since he was 9 weeks old. He came from a reputable breeder and up until recently he was fairly docile. He has always been a menice when it comes to food and has refused to learn manners with counter tops and plates. Which we have played off due to his breed. We've tried and tried to break this habit with no such luck.

He has always been overly attached to myself and is extremely needy. During the day though he doesn't show destructive behavior that leads me to think he has separation anxiety. I say this because he has free roam of the house while we are at work. He typically spends the day on our bed sleeping or will play with our other dog. When we get home the house is fine and nothing is amiss. When I am home though he does prefer to be near me. He will only listen to myself and my commands. If wants attention, gets scared, or sees me talking to a family member he will run and get right up in my face. He will push his cheek into mine and whine as if to distract me from the other person or activity. Its incredible irritating and he gets told to get down.

We try not to encourage this behavior. Lately though his behavior has turned o aggression. If he is told to get off a seat, stop eating ( he over eats and pukes), to get out of a room he has the tendency to lash out. He will growl and nip. To day he went as far as to actually bite a child which he has never done.

I guess my question is what could be bringing this on? What are we as owners doing wrong? What do we do to stop or correct this?
seidelhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2018, 04:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidelhound View Post

We try not to encourage this behavior. Lately though his behavior has turned o aggression. If he is told to get off a seat, stop eating ( he over eats and pukes), to get out of a room he has the tendency to lash out. He will growl and nip. To day he went as far as to actually bite a child which he has never done.

First of all, with Basset puppies especially, it's all too easy to spoil them!! let them get away with things which means by the time they 'grow up', you have a young hooligan on your hands.

This biting is very worrying, obviously and it might be worth having your vet give him a health check before you do anything. Just in case there's a medical reason for this change in him.

So he's clingy - even if he has a canine companion, being left alone at home (without his humans) can be upsetting to the social Basset so part of this may be because he does miss you. Having said that, I have found, over the years with both sexes, that the males do tend to be more needy than the females (sound familiar?). If he has a less outgoing temperament, it's very easy to 'demolish' a male hound which eventually can turn to fear biting. Right now it sounds as if he's had enough!! Not saying this is what's going on but .....

TRADE! Instead of insisting he gets off furniture (if he gets up there at all!!) make getting off better than staying on. Bassets are usually food motivated, so bribe him off. The purists frown on this, but if it works, use it. I have managed to figure out that the way to a peaceful life with the Basset, is to use applied psychology. Make him think what you want was HIS idea all along. Far better than getting into a confrontation. Why send him out of the room? When his food bowl goes down, DO NOT MAKE HIM LEAVE IT, OR PICK UP THE BOWL. If he over-eats (or eats too fast), give him smaller amounts, more often (Bassets do best on 2 meals a day of the same size, when adults). And there are bowls available designed to slow down fast eaters. With respect though, it does sound as if he's gobbling up because he knows his bowl might be removed. Look at what's going on from his eyes.

Right now, and if he's bitten a child, this IS very serious, you clearly must change your approach with him - and teach your kids to respect him.... eg I watched a child across the road the other day, when his family had stopped walking past (the father was on the phone!), actually pushing their dog, who had lagged behind, to catch up with the others and the dog turned round to nip him. He didn't actually bite, but he was sooo close to reacting to how he was being treated.

You might have a conversation with your hound's breeder as if they can SEE what's going on, it may be better than advice from strangers.

Bottom line - back off. See your vet. And if there's nothing medical going on, proceed by adopting a different route with what you want of your hound.

Last edited by FranksMum; 09-09-2018 at 04:53 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

my guess as I also believe frank's mom surmises , that to get the dog to comply with your different demand you are using physical coercion i.e. dragging by the collar/scruff pushing etc.

lets take a look at this from the dog perspective. how would you react to a boss that every time wanted you to do something grabbed you by the collar and dragged you around. After a while you initial reaction would be to duck and avoid the collar grab. If that is not success you might yell stop that which is akin to a growl. that does not work then slap the hand away, like a dog lunging or snapping. In your dogs eye you have become mean unpredictable ogre's and he is trying the only way he knows how to protect himself.

You both need training classes that do not rely on coercion to get the dog to respond.

Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Omg we have the same problem with my 9 yr old girl she is sooo dramatic at times too

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
11341johnson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post

You both need training classes that do not rely on coercion to get the dog to respond.

LOL - 'BOTH' meaning me as well as OP Just picked up on that comment.

Having been 'with Basset' since 1972 I'd suggest it's a tad late for me to start getting into attending training classes ............. even if you never stop learning of course. I know what WORKS with mine and that does include trading and with food mainly given the Basset is usually food motivated. On the other hand, I also use PREVENTION/AVOIDANCE. Anything that doesn't involvel backing my hound into a corner
Old 11-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

"BOTH' meaning me as well as OP "

umm no, both being OP and OP's Dog.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
"BOTH' meaning me as well as OP "

umm no, both being OP and OP's Dog.

Oops - me getting paranoid in my old age
Old 11-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

given what you say about training, I probably use more coersion than you do.

Last edited by Mikey T; 11-15-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement