Dog Food - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dog Food

I am having a huge problem with dog food. We have had our Missy on Wainwrights puppy which she has thrived on but she has no decided she doesn't want it anymore. We put her not eating normally down to the heatwave but that is now over and she has got worse. She will eat mince and chop and chicken and other foods and biscuits with no problem so its not a medical issue.
She seems to love dry food now and these are the options we have:-

Wellness Core: This has come up serveral times as being a good food but i am not sure as the meat content is below 40%.

Millie Wolfheart: This one has 65-80% meat content and plenty of variety

Eden Holistic: This one is also high meat content at 70-80% variety is lacking but is completely natural.

Personally I like the Eden due to the high meat content and being all natural and Millies Wolfheart.

My wife likes the Wellness Core as she says it has high protein despite the low meat content.

Can anyone help with this dilemma.

Thanks Barry
Bazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I wouldn’t rule out medical issues until you’ve seen a vet.
Sudden changes in any eating habits can signal an underlying medical issue.
Don’t be misled by her continued preference for treats. Has her weight changed? Stool? Energy and demeanour? Skin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
I wouldn’t rule out medical issues until you’ve seen a vet.
Sudden changes in any eating habits can signal an underlying medical issue.
Don’t be misled by her continued preference for treats. Has her weight changed? Stool? Energy and demeanour? Skin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing has changed other than she wont eat her normal food but will eat other foods including A brand called Oscar that she won at the dog show today.

I am fairly confident there is no medical issues as she will eat all other foods both ours and other dog foods. She just wont eat the Wainwrights anymore.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

How old is she? It's pretty common for older puppies to eat less as their growth slows. Barring illness, if a dog doesn't eat it's usually because it's not hungry.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quite often our puppies would go off their puppy food by around 8 months at which point I'd either switch to a Junior version of the same brand, or straight to Adult.

Re protein, imo, other than maybe when growing, a high protein level isn't necessary. Rather the opposite because my current buy-in basset was reared on a food that was 32% protein which was far higher than anything I'd used to rear my puppies. He had grown very big, by 4 months even and I believe the food had promoted too much, too fast with the resulting structural problems he now has. Re the meat/fish in the food, choose one that lists meat or fish as the first ingredient as this will be the main ingredient. Not cereal!!

Cut out the treats until your Basset is eating the main food she should be eating!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
How old is she? It's pretty common for older puppies to eat less as their growth slows. Barring illness, if a dog doesn't eat it's usually because it's not hungry.
11 Months
Old 09-04-2018, 06:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazas View Post
11 Months

Has she had a season yet because sometimes it's something as 'simple' as this .... not that, again, mine have ever stopped eating, other than if they are actually unwell.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Eden Holistic: This one is also high meat content at 70-80%

love the games boutique manufactures play in marketing. actual these numbers are impossible . Kibble can not be made with less than 22% starch and that a highly proprietary patented methodology typical kibble isd 40-45% starch. the 70-80 is based on weigh and the use whole meat not meal/ So of the wheat 70 -80% is water that is removed to make kibble. So the amount of meat on a dry weight basis is substantial less and not more if any more than major manufactures. this food is in the 35-40 % carb range
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

High protein levels are essential in older dogs to maintain muscle mass. They often require twice as much protein as younger dogs. Dogs engaged in athletic activity need
higher levels of protein to prevent injury. In studies a minimium of 30% protein is require to prevent soft tissue in sled dogs. The problem of excess protein is it is converted in to glucose Which dog need surprising little of and is not a particular good energy source. Ideally especial with working dogs you want a High fat diet. https://kineticdogfood.com/feeding-t...-working-dogs/

Last edited by Mikey T; 09-04-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

OP. Mikey and I have 'clashed' over protein levels before but just to say in my book, once adult, in general dogs don't need a high protein level. I tend to look for nothing above 26% anyway in a commercial food. And although mine are on maybe a higher level food that I'd previously used, because I need what else the food I'm using provides, I tended to go for something closer to 20%. But mine are not working Huskies!!

I would just add that the food I'm currently using is 25% protein.

Last edited by FranksMum; 09-07-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement